Vintage Guitars Are Not That Expensive

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Treeface, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Jorgen83

Jorgen83 TDPRI Member

Alright here's a question to put things in perspective:

How many people do you know who play a 15k guitar?

stnmtthw and radiocaster like this.
  2. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Honestly, more than I personally know who play $300 guitars although a lot of people's 15k guitar cost a lot less than that when it was purchased.

Bandwagons tend to be expensive.

landofahhs and Flakey like this.
  3. Jakethedog

Jakethedog TDPRI Member

I sure wish I made enough money to call 10-15k not a lot.

The reality is for the vast majority of us, $10-15k is quite a bit of money. That’s a new car, almost a year worth of mortgage payments, 2 or 3 really nice vacations, erasing credit debt...

I will never be able to spend even $2k on a guitar. I have to save up $500 for a used amp. Must be nice to be “rich”

Rowdyman, Skamania, hellopike and 4 others like this.
  4. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Holic

If he told you...

scrimmer and Jupiter like this.
  5. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

This has to be the most unintentionally (I hope) condescending post I’ve read here.

6. preactor

preactor Tele-Meister

Hard to fake a Camry but seems like there are a lot of high end guitar fakes with a lot of fake parts.

7. claes

claes Tele-Holic

That was pretty much everything I didn't say...

If a friend asks med if he should buy something .... I go to great lengths to try to talk him out of it.

If he bought something .... I'l try to find positive things to say (and mean it)

When he sells it I never say "I told you so" (I don't even think it)

8. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

In my opinion, these kinds of prices make absolutely no sense from a players view point. The whole vintage-overpriced-collectible thing was about people and dealers jumping on the money making wagon with guitar gear.

That trend is fading fast, since there really aren't many real buyers for that kind of stuff (meaning people who actually think a 50s tele is worth 35k, not people that would buy it hoping it would be worth 35k for someone else down the road).

stnmtthw likes this.
  9. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

D94B8932-236B-411F-8F8E-619F3FD4FA4E.jpeg

I love what Bill Finnegan printed on the Klon KTR, acknowledgment of the crazy randomness of hype.

I agree with OP- $15K, in the grand scheme, is not a life changing amount of money. But I will go to Nashville because 1) tickets are $150 rt out of Philly- and that’s not a hardship, provided I’m allowed to carry the guitar onboard 2) it will be fun 3) I won’t devalue a Camry by doing work on it, but I might devalue a blackguard if I don’t get the right advice. Mostly, I want someone to closely examine the finish, and tell me if it is wise to refin to blonde, or better (value wise) to leave be.

10. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

OP said it's not to become a car debate, it's turned into a fruit debate. I think?:lol:

And with that, I apologise in advance for a perfectly pointless post for my 1000th.
    Yay me:p

11. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

- Best point in thread so far is that you would be very unlikely to find a fake used Camry, but fake vintage guitars are forged all the time.

- I also give fair credit to the original point that even $15k isn't really THAT much money in the grand scheme of things. However, when it comes to money, one way that
    helps people do a better job of saving is to convert that abstract $15k into time. For example, if someone makes $30 an hour (net after taxes, let's say), then $15k
    comes out to 500 hours, or 12.5 weeks of work. That's a lot of a person's time for a plank and some strings. Obviously, if someone makes $3,000 an hour, so that the
    $15k represents 5 hours of work, well that's not such a big deal then, is it? But at that point the person is on to buying yachts and David Gilmour's Strat and otherwise burning
    up their wallet, too. But whenever I get tempted to buy an item I do the mental math, and also think about how every dollar I save now is a dollar I will have available in
    retirement, and then, sometimes, the financial planning angel on my right shoulder actually defeats the c'mon-just-buy-it devil on my left shoulder.

- Just be glad you don't play the violin professionally. Imagine having to come up with $150k for a good concert violin. However, it might still make sense as an investment.
    If you need it to do a job that makes you let's say $100k a year, then it's worth it. It's the tool you need for your job. A lot cheaper than what all those poor guys were paying
    for a NYC taxi medallion.

hellopike likes this.
  12. Treeface

Treeface Tele-Meister

I agree with OP- $15K, in the grand scheme, is not a life changing amount of money. But I will go to Nashville because 1) tickets are $150 rt out of Philly- and that’s not a hardship, provided I’m allowed to carry the guitar onboard 2) it will be fun 3) I won’t devalue a Camry by doing work on it, but I might devalue a blackguard if I don’t get the right advice. Mostly, I want someone to closely examine the finish, and tell me if it is wise to refin to blonde, or better (value wise) to leave be.
    Thank you for actually reading the OP, which many commenters here don't appear to have done. I think #2 is the real, best answer here. A beat up 50s tele may not be any more expensive than a 2012 Camry, but it's about 1,000 times cooler than a 2012 Camry.

reverb11 likes this.
  13. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The price is in the bragging rites. The vintage guitar could be a turd but people will know you spent a lot of money on it.

Hard to brag about a older camry even if you fit a body kit and some spinners on it.
    A nice vintage guitar is a thing of beauty though and supply vs demand does come into it.

You could build your own vintage guitar a lot cheaper by sourcing vintage age wood of the same type and buying vintage pickups.

Aside from market value and mojo factor I would find it preferable to hand the vintage age wood to Allparts and have them turn it into a neck and body for me in my preferred specs than buy the overpriced Vintage guitar.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  14. Jorgen83

Jorgen83 TDPRI Member

I read the OP, just disagreed with everything you said.

hellopike likes this.
  15. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

$15,000 is a lot of money to me.

hellopike and preactor like this.
  16. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Perception is everything, my folks still believe its insane to spend more than a few hundred dollars on a guitar yet dropping over 5Gs in repair/maintenance/fuel/transport for a dilapidated boat that sits in a $10,000 spot by the lake 350 days a year makes perfect sense to them.

Vintage guitars, the vast majority, fall in a special category of old stuff that's expensive.

They are really a very new phenomenon in the big scheme of things. Items, for the most part, originally mass produced by many novice hands in factories in the hundreds to thousands for the general buying public. So, they are by no means "rare" as in how the term applies to artifacts in general nor did they ever command some high degree of consistency/expectation in their make.

Many claim their utility is irreplaceable and unobtainable beyond said vintage...a claim that's unfalsifiable so it means next to nothing in terms of debate thus it's not worth debating.

Others claim they're a wise investment strategy because certain examples have skyrocketed in value. Meanwhile most anyone who does investments professionally would argue otherwise due to their volatility.

So, yeah, they don't make much sense on face value. Yet, there they are, the ORIGINAL examples to which hundreds of thousands of what are basically copies have been made in the modern era. So, with that said they might not seem too expensive but you'd have to have that mindset of appreciation.

Speaking of investment, I believe last year was the FIRST year of the modern vintage market where luxury goods did very well while vintage guitar prices dropped. I don't think that's every happened since the 90's, usually the top tier vintage market has historically gone up/down with luxury spending.

noah330 and BrandonIke like this.
  17. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

Congrats on the milestone!

It's not really a debate. It's a silly thread.

A $10-20k guitar is not simply a tool for music, it's an investment. No one invests in anything without making sure it's worth the investment, house, car or otherwise.

rogb likes this.
  18. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Meister

this sounds pretty great to me

19. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

There are players, and then there are collectors.

Players don't see the point in spending a fortune on what is, at the end of the day, a bolt-on neck guitar that was manufactured to be utilitarian.

Collectors are investing in the vintage instrument market, and are into vintage Fender just like people who are into Coca-Cola memorabilia. They might play a little on the side, and therefore appreciate what makes a classic guitar truly vintage, but they don't see the guitar as a means to end (making music). The guitar itself is the end.

timbraun likes this.
  20. _Presto_

_Presto_ TDPRI Member

I'm not saying that $15K or whatever isn't a lot of money. I'm just a bit confused by some of the absolutes mentioned here - like something's worth is only measured by what it cost to make, or vintage is just about bragging rights, or it's only a collector vs. player scenario.

I guess I just don't see it that way.

My story is that I started my own business a while back. It involved a lot of hard work, sacrifice, risk and enough stress to change me as person (not for the better). After a 10 year slog though, it turned around and I was rewarded financially. So after doing all the 'right' things - like getting a big fat mortgage, a car and putting some into savings....I then decided to do something that had motivated me during the tough times, and buy an all original iconic / golden-era guitar.

Now that it's mine - I play it every single day, normally for hours. I'll get to record an album with it later this year, and hopefully play it live at some stage too. I love owning it and will play it for the rest of my life....and what I went through to get it will never be lost on me.

I never think about how much it cost to build back in the 50's. Also most of my friends and family don't care about guitars, and I've never told anyone (apart from the wife) how much it cost. So I don't think it was for bragging rights (though to be fair I did post it up here, which I guess is bragging!). I didn't do it as an investment either - 'investing' in vintage guitars at the moment and hoping for a return is too risky for me! I just did it because it's something I genuinely wanted to own (and play!), and I found myself 'lucky' enough to do so.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.