Vintage Gretsch amp /NAD

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
Congrats on the find! I have one also. I found the overdrive preamp a bit too harsh for my taste so I converted it from grid-leak bias to cathode bias. It was easy to do and reversible if you want to sell the amp as original. I just copied the schematic for the Gretsch 6151 amp. The amp sounds much better at both low and high volumes.
Cool thx for that info. I will look into this . I can’t see the pics , getting bad reception on my phone at work. I’ll give it a look later

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
Hi!

Very cool amp!

If it doesn't´t sound good/clean at low volumes, I suspect the amp needs a bit of TLC ;)
Do you happen to know if your friend had it serviced within the last 5 years or so?
If not, I highly recommend taking it to a competent tech and have him look over it.
Most of the time, you´ll be surprised how good it sounds afterwards!

cheers - 68.

P.S.:
on a side note... the speaker ist most probably not the problem - I have one of these myself, and it sounds really good in a Champ-style amp!
Thx for heads up. I know he had done some work to it .
He s a bit of an amp guru , so I think he said he did caps , a 3 prong cord and new speaker . I’m going to ask him more this week now , next time I talk to him . Just so I know all that he did . It plays and sounds great . It’s really enjoyable still , as is . But I will look into it soon, if more work may need to be done . It is pretty great as is . But maybe should have it looked at to make sure . Thx

ce24

Poster Extraordinaire
Alnicos look like this.
04C8D639-4C75-4AF9-BAFA-2B34980768BA.png

Rockabilly

TDPRI Member
Hey y’all, I picked up this vintage 60’s Gretsch 6150 with 8” speaker from a friend . I wish I knew exact year and wattage . But he said it’s a 60’s and about 5 watts is all I know .I’m going to try to research a little . It’s a really great sounding amp for rock and roll , it’s got a nice fuzzy overdrive when cranked . And that’s really all it does . It’s got a 5y3 , a 6v6 , and a 12ax7.i always spent my energy’s learning more about guitars than amps, so I have a lot to learn. I’m hoping maybe I can jump this thing to a larger speaker sometimes and experiment with the sound a little . I would like it to be able to clean upy a little at lower volumes ,because I play a lot of country type stuff mixed in with rock , and sometimes don’t want that fuzz . but I can deal with it for now . My only other amp is a Goodsell super 17 , boutique style amp. It’s a wonderful amp , and does get some great clean tones. .it’s too loud for most of my playing these days , which is the reason I was looking for a low wattage amp. If any of you folks own one of these , let me hear what u think about it
Check on YouTube with a guy called the Guitologist,I don’t know if he has his contact info on his channel but he has a channel on YouTube where he repairs vintage amps you may have a cracked speaker😎

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
Check on YouTube with a guy called the Guitologist,I don’t know if he has his contact info on his channel but he has a channel on YouTube where he repairs vintage amps you may have a cracked speaker😎
I’ll che ki
I’ll check him out thx

Powdog

Tele-Meister
The Weber Sig8 ceramic speakers are available with two different cones. From what I can see in your pic it looks like yours has the smooth cone (with no ribs) which will get crunchy early and has little clean headroom. The Sig8 S is ribbed and stays cleaner with added volume. WGS and Jupiter both make nice little 8” speakers with ribbed cones. They come out of the same factory but are slightly different tonally.