1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vintage Fender style tremolo pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Tele Plucker, May 26, 2015.

1. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

Hey folks, I'm currently practicing with a Blues Jr and am looking for a good vintage style tremolo pedal.

From what I have read on line, there have been some glowing reviews about the Monster Effects Swamp Thang pedal. I have also read a lot of positive feedback about the Demeter Tremulator pedal.

So, anyone have opinions about Tremelo pedals? Also, I'm on the verge of getting me a 5E3 clone, such as the Victoria 20112, so this is the type of amp I would be using it with.

Open the flood gates and post your opinions.

2. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Good, and inexpensive.

The Mooer Trelicopter.

3. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

Voodoo Labs Tremolo gets all the vintage Fender trem sounds I like

4. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I've owned 3 different Trems. This one is by far my favorite. Amazing pedal!

5. RetroTeleRod

BTW, If memory serves, the Mooer is a clone of the Demeter Tremulator.

6. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

I just picked one of these up and HIGHLY recommend it! Its also based on the tremulator but sounds better than the Mooer trelicopter. Its a MIC pedal but build construction looks like a TC Electronic mini [Which is probably also manufactured in China]. Its has un-seated my Ibanez soundtank tremolo, something the Mooer couldn't do.
    Got mine on Amazon UK....

v go to 2:25 to hear it briefly :lol:

7. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I have a few amps with tremolo or vibrato, but I do own a Fulltone Supa Trem ST-1 which is a super useful pedal. The pedal has two trem settings that would be close to a Fender Blackface(soft) or Vox(hard) with two speeds. If you set the mix control all the way counterclockwise, the pedal then becomes a boost pedal in soft mode and gentle tremolo in hard mode. The newer version has a small trim pot on the outer chassis that used to be on the circuit board. It gives about 15db of clean boost. I bought mine on eBay used for $90. Even brand new they aren't terribly expensive considering its flexibility(199 list with 150-160 being street price).

8. t.e.l.e.

t.e.l.e. Tele-Meister

T-Rex Tremster! Great.

9. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

I know the hotone term is based on the twin reverb tremolo circuit...

10. Smoky Booroo

Smoky Booroo Tele-Meister

+1. I like it as much as my Princeton Reverb's.

11. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

Here are the tremolo pedals I've used in order from best to worst:

Fulltone Supa-Trem--my favorite; I use it instead of my amp's trem because of the flexibility, volume control, good sound; sounds like a blackface Fender

Voodoo Lab Tremolo--second favorite; sounded great and has volume control; not quite as flexible as Fulltone, but very good

Boss Tr-2--this was an old one, and I understand the volume drop issue has been addressed, but I didn't like this pedal because the perceived volume was lower when it was engaged, and I heard a slight ticking, like a Fender amp that needs service

EHX Stereo Pulsar--great choppy trem, cool swampy sounds or ring modulation sounds at extreme settings, and the stereo panner option sounds great, if you want to run stereo; not very good for vintage amp trem sounds

Danelectro Tuna Melt--sounds pretty good and vintage, but bad volume drop, hard to adjust, and flimsy as a dime store pocket knife.

12. RetroTeleRod

^^^ I agree with King Creole's findings on those two. This is why I like the Black Cat Mini Trem, it sounds legit and it has a boost knob to overcome any volume issues. (Yes I know that Trem is the volume fluctuating , but I'm talking about perceived overall level here.)

13. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

I think the Joyo JF-09 does a pretty good vintage tremolo, and for $35 it's hard to beat.

I happen to use one with a Blues Junior.

14. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I've had a Tremulator for ten or fifteen years now, fully amortized by now. Nothing fancy but it works perfectly & sounds like Fender tremolo. There's a little hole in the side so you can adjust something but I can never remember what, so I leave it alone. Most importantly, it doesn't seem to affect the sound at all when it's switched off.

15. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

There is not one type of Fender Tremolo.

Blackface Opto?
    Brownface Harmonic Tremolo?
    Tweed Bias?

:D

16. Walter Broes

Walter Broes Tele-Afflicted

What I think is the best deal in Trem pedals is the Danelectro "cool cat" trem, it would still be a killer peda at twice the price.

If price doesn't matter, the Fulltone is pretty great.

17. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

I've had one for about 20 yrs. It's never let me down. I'm also using a Blues Jr. for practice and small gigs. It does the Fender thing really well.

18. Tronc the cube

Tronc the cube Tele-Meister

Strymon Flint. 3 types of Trem, Tap capabilities for on the fly adjustments. Oh and reverb. I've come to the conclusion don't muck about, save up and get what needs got.

19. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

When I was shopping for a blackface style tremolo, I found a local shop that carried three I was interested in. So I put on my benchtesting shoes and went in for a spin.

In order of tonal preference*: Demeter Tremulator, Fulltone Supa-Trem, Voodoo Lab Tremolo.

* Honestly, the tonal differences were so subtle that it's barely worth mentioning.

Nonetheless, I did like the sound of the Demeter the best. Based on that, if I had also wanted butt-simple and small footprint, done.

I ruled the Voodoo Lab out as I didn't like the close proximity of the knobs for live use, and plus I'd had a history of switch failure with VL stomps (I remain a VL fan).

The feature set of the Fulltone sold me. I love the half speed switch, the hard/soft switch, and the big foot-tweakable knobs. Really useful features. I had a status LED installed on mine for the hard/soft switch. The footprint would put some folks off, I guess. However, it's pretty much the same size as a VL Pedal Power unit, so I just park my Supa-Trem atop my PP2.

Also have a Strymon Flint w/ tap/favorite switch, and a Toneczar Powerglide, which I also dig a lot.

20. RetroTeleRod

That's also one feature of the Black Cat Mini Trem that's very cool. :cool:
    I really don't know how Fendery the Black Cat sounds...but whatever it sounds like, it's the best Tremolo pedal I've had. :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.