unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Early morning fog - I thought this thread would be about something like this:

fan.jpg

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
^^^^That car in that always faded, flat-looking brick red is in my top ten cars I lust after.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I like that '60 Dodge Pioneer sedan, next to the old house, left just as it was.

+

Unfortunately, this daydream is a delusion. In much of America at least, away from the coasts and the moderate to high rent areas, obscene and huge numbers of discarded vehicles are piling up, not being recycled, with too few people interested in making further use of them. Typically the car is 12-16 years old, some cheap manufacturer like Hyundai, Nissan or Chevy, and would cost 2x to make it pass inspection (compared to what it is currently worth on the open market). Thousands of sedans, minivans, SUVs, and even significant numbers of pickups. 5x to make it pass inspection in MA or CA.

I love cars but there's nothing beautiful about an old pasture, or red dirt that's clean cut of pines, stocked with mind boggling numbers of poorly made vehicles. If your 2001 Malibu needs a new fender, you don't go looking for a fender. No, you get a 2006 Malibu that doesn't need a fender. Nobody wants this cr*p and that's a sad commentary.

Last edited:

ICTRock

Tele-Afflicted
probably best that the author not discover the midwest tradition of Detroit riprap ... oh the holes I shot into some of America's finest all-steel sedans as a child

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

tintag27

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
70's Midget.jpg
I saw this one just down the street last week - the old sports cars start popping up like spring bulbs when the sun comes out! Early 70's MG Midget in a pretty mustard colour - looks terrific for a 50 year old motor, and fits our narrow lanes better than modern cars!

Dreadnut

Friend of Leo's
Beautiful Bird, Mayas! My buddy is restoring his 2nd '62 T-bird convertible presently; he took top prize in a fairly big car show in Detroit last year to his surprise. It's white.

Yeah, so the Beetle is a California car, I inherited it from my brother several years back. He bought it from an old gal in 2001, she had bought the car brand new from Bob Smith VW/Porsche in Hollywood, I still have the Bob Smith license plate frame too. She paid $1,971 cash (including an upgrade to FM radio.)
NO rust, never been driven in the snow; I had it hauled from CA to MI, and we've been restoring it. Brand new paint job, totally rebuilt motor, just a bit of interior work left to do. Not really a show car in terms of perfect and deluxe everything, but fun to drive around!

I wisely gave this car to Mrs. Dread after a couple of guitar purchases...

6WJqhVu.jpg