Vintage brown Fender amps, which one should I buy?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by rjtwangs, Jul 14, 2019.

1. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Decisions decisions....the prices are all over the place....I've found a beautiful Brown Pro, and a beautiful Super, both 100% original, both under 3k??? But I'm beginning to lean towards the Princeton, mainly because I want to be able to turn it up at home and I can't help but think that the Pro and Super will be way too loud, not to mention too heavy as well. A clean Vibrolux doesn't seem easy to find, but I'll keep looking. I'm in no hurry so I'll wait a bit and see what pops up. I was rather impressed with the sound of that brown Vibrolux. It sure does seem that the " smaller " amps command higher prices than the bigger amps. My how things have changed....and yes, I do want to buy a vintage amp....I have two boutique amps, my Swart and my Clark and now I want a second vintage Fender to crank up at home....Princeton or Deluxe or Vibrolux....decisions decisions......Thanks to Wally and everyone who has posted....my head hurts....

RJ

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Wally likes this.
  2. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

Princeton and a matching reverb unit!

rjtwangs likes this.
  3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

“My head hurts!”......I laugh not at but with you. That is why after owning and experiencing so many vintage amps I have simplified things. I like amps that can do a lot of different things...as long as they do them well. Observation: a 6G2 will be almost as loud as a 6G11 at the point of distortion when run through the same speaker. That Vibrolux probably makes about 27 watts. To cut that volume in half through the same speaker would require a power cut down to 2.7 watts. I have a 5 watt amp that will be too loud for a ‘house’ or lot of other situations when running through the Rola speaker I use with it.
    I have become a great believer in good attenuators.....even though I don’t have one.
    Take two aspirin...and DON’T call me in the morning unless you want to get even more confused!!!!!! Eeeehaw.....

theprofessor and rjtwangs like this.
  4. rjtwangs

You are a CRUEL man Wally, heartless and mean....I need a boatfull of illegal drugs and expensive scotch.....

RJ

theprofessor and Wally like this.
  5. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

If you are now a home player, go for the Princeton. It is more than loud enough and you will pay less compared with the Deluxe or the Vibroluxe.

Wally, DavidP and rjtwangs like this.
  6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

One beer and and a shot of tequila...a humbucker on the bridge..turn the 6G2 up and it rips like a big tweed or Marshall. Reduce the pick attack, and it is nothing but lively cleans. Go for it...leave the headaches behind. Despite my trying to talk you into that boutique amp, I love a 6G2 or the 5F11 from which it descended.

High Head Brad and rjtwangs like this.
  7. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

Another way to get to brown Vibrolux is to find a brown Tremolux head and put it in a (repro) Vibrolux cabinet. Brownface Vibrolux and Tremolux are the same size chassis in different cabinetry configurations. I found an old brownface Tremolux head in the basement about 10 years ago and this is what I did.

But you mentioned a brownface Super was too much for you these days. I also have a brown Super and it is more or less the same in size and weight as my Tremo/vibrolux. This suggests you might be best served by brownface Deluxe or Princeton.

rjtwangs likes this.
  8. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

8CAFCE80-DD38-4A92-B621-48987CB2EE79.jpeg
    Here’s my 61 Pro with a custom J Design cab housing a 12” Lil Texas that lightened the load considerably!
    I still have the original cab but this one is smaller and lighter.

9. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Very nice!

rjtwangs likes this.
  10. 68silverw/black

68silverw/black TDPRI Member

Why not go down to your local Guitar Center and try the new (not vintage)
    Fender 62 Princeton - Chris Stapleton? It is hand wired and has a 12" speaker. You can hear the tremolo in this you tube video at around 4:00. distortion at around 2:50.

It costs around $2000. It will not be necessary to get a tech to play with it before you do.

11. rjtwangs

I have absolutely no interest in that amp. They're showing up used on Reverb. There's one in mint condition for $1400 with free shipping. As I said above, I have the two boutique amps I want, don't need another, and besides for $2000 you can buy a real brown Princeton, which I may do.

RJ

keithb7 likes this.
  12. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

Bargains can still be found. I paid $1,800 for my 61 Pro last year off Reverb.

rjtwangs likes this.
  13. 68silverw/black

68silverw/black TDPRI Member

I didn't say buy, I said try. You get to hear how a brown Princeton sounds with your guitar if you bring it. Here is a link to a comparison on you tube between the Princeton and Deluxe using both a Telecaster and a Les Paul.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcxQYlfZ46g

Axis29 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.