Vintage Bridge to replace Mexican Standard bridge

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by amswafford, May 22, 2009.

1. amswafford

amswafford TDPRI Member

i'm building a partscaster from a 2009 MIM standard Lake placid blue body, MIM 60's RI maple/rosewood neck, and i'm ready to buy a bridge. i want a vintage-style one, but i am unsure which brands/models will fit the mounting and string holes on my MIM standard body. I'd rather not re-drill if possible. Can someone help me by giving me a link on ebay to suitable bridges, etc? i'm thinking either fender or joe barden, with compensated saddles. thanks!

Aidan.

2. brittwin

brittwin Tele-Meister

Aidan,

All the Mexican standards will accept any of the vintage type bridges, whether they are Joe barden, Callaham, Glendale or whatever..., with no alterations to the hole spacing. It's the American Standard that has the non-vintage bridge holes.

3. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Right on for the Vintage, this is the Fender Vintage installed on a '06 MIM:

Attached Files:

4. robb3566

robb3566 Tele-Afflicted

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  5. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

All vintage style Telecaster bridges have essentially the same hole placement and spacing. Any bridge that doesn't isn't a vintage style bridge. You may see slight variation in hole spacing if you look at the specs for the bridges but these differences are negligible.

6. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

I like that bridgeplate. Like the Wilkinson by Sung-Il, it appears to have the toploader holes well positioned: horizontally an even distance apart which supports good string spacing, and vertically relatively close to the bottom which supports keeping enough string break angle so you minimize the risk of strings sitaring on the saddle.

And while I was looking at it and contemplating buying the other one he had for sale, someone else bought it!

Attached Files:

7. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Doesn't the MIM Standard body, have a 3 screw bridge that is not compatible with a 4 screw vintage bridge?

8. yegbert

The early '90s MIM Standard (did Fender name them the Standard model then?) Teles had a 3-screw-mount bridge. The position of those 3 screws is the same as on the early '80s revised standard MIA, the American Standard/Deluxe/Series, and most '90s Squier Teles. The position of those 3 screws is not the same as the current production Squier Standard Teles or other guitars that use that same bridge, or the Squier Affinity Tele.

The current production MIM Standards have a 4 screw mount bridge. The position of those screws is the same as a vintage style Fender bridge and the Gotoh modern/standard bridge.

9. KevinB

Thanks for the clarification - I've never owned a MIM Standard.

I would think that there are many bridges then that will fit the OP's MIM body. Guitar Parts Resource - as well as most of the on-line retailers - has a wide selection including Fender, Gotoh, WIlkinson, Barden and a bunch of no-name cheapies.

Getting one to "Windy Wellington" in NZ might be an issue though!

10. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Guitar Fetish sells a nice looking dual loading Korean made bridge with brass saddles. You can often get them for around $15 in an auction. They're finished nicer than Fender bridges

11. KevinB

Jack, I think just about every after market bridge is finished better than the Fender ones :eek:

I guess the Highway One bridge is not too bad though.

12. yegbert

I agree with KevinB.

Aftermarket Tele vintage style bridges are slightly thicker, and smoother in the corners, than most Fender vintage style bridges. The Fender Highway 1 bridge is the exception. Here's one on my '69 Thinline, with the '69 Thinline saddles.

[​IMG]

13. waaronl

waaronl Tele-Meister

Yegbert would this bridge fit on a mexican telecaster?

Thanks!

14. KevinB

If the MIM Standard accepts a vintage 4-hole bridge (as Yegbert says it does) then a Highway 1 bridge will fit with no problems.

I often see (and I've bought a few) these for sale on eBay by Reliable Fender/Stratosphere for under $20 complete with saddles. It's a very nicely made bridge. It is made from somewhat thicker steel than the Fender "Pat Pend" plate and many people think this cuts twang a little but boosts mids and sustain. I have one - with Callaham enhanced compensated saddles and a Lindy Fralin pickup on my Esquire and really like it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  15. yegbert

That Hwy1 I posted a picture of is a vintage style Tele bridge. As such, it should fit the current production MIM Standard Tele.

16. yegbert

I have a partscaster with a 2006 MIM Standard Tele body.

The bridge on it here is a vintage style bridge:

[​IMG]

The bridge on it here is a Gotoh modern/standard GTC201:

[​IMG]

17. robb3566

robb3566 Tele-Afflicted

The '92 that I modded has three holes, which are almost completely covered by the new bridge. I could plug 'em, but it's a black finish so you don't really notice them unless you were looking carefully. Drilling the new holes was a snap...and somewhat surprisingly, the intonation wasn't difficult at all with three threaded saddles. Now I just have to play it a lot and sweat to 'relic' it. I'm hoping for that old 'rusty threaded saddle' look. :cool:

18. amswafford

amswafford TDPRI Member

cool, thanks for all the replies. i went for a joe barden vintage, with comp. brass saddles, shipped from ebay to my inlaws in Cali, to post here!

19. waaronl

waaronl Tele-Meister

I used this one on my '04 tele
    I like it a lot, you can ALMOST see the pickup route on both sides below the bridge but you have to look at it from an angle and then you can just see the smallest sliver so ehh no worries.

I don't know for sure how much it has improved the tone etc, I think it has definitely helped but I need more time with it.

20. dotnetbrett

dotnetbrett TDPRI Member

Dude, thanks for that info! Saved me from worrying about the Fender Vintage Bridge I ordered for $12

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.