vintage bridge on parson's/green b-bender?

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by WhoShotSam, Apr 11, 2010.

1. WhoShotSam

WhoShotSam TDPRI Member

My 1996 American Standard B-bender is currently equipped with the stock 6 saddle bridge, but I've been thinking about putting a vintage bridge on it so I can have the brass barrel saddles. Has anybody ever done this type of modification on an american standard? If so where can I get the parts to make this happen? My guitar sounds pretty damn good as is, but I've always thought the brass saddles sounded warmer. Or, does anyone make a saddle for the current bridge that is brass? Thanks for the input!

2. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted

I think Callaham (or Glendale?) makes a 3 saddle bridge that fits the American Standard. You can not put a "vintage" Bridge on the guitar without major work because none of the holes line up...

3. Johnny Isaacs

Johnny Isaacs Tele-Afflicted

My main Tele has a P/G and I have a Callaham AS bridge on it. Love it!

[​IMG]

Johnny Isaacs

4. WhoShotSam

WhoShotSam TDPRI Member

Thanks for the input! Does the Callaham bridge install easily or do I need to do some drilling? Also, does having barrel saddles cause some slippage to occur when activating the bender? At least until there's a groove worn in it maybe.......

ps. I just looked at the Callaham bridge.....since its going to be put on a bender guitar, does there need to be a hole/groove put on the back of the bridge for the b string to pass through/over?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  5. Johnny Isaacs

Johnny Isaacs Tele-Afflicted

Yes, the bridge needs a hole drilled for the b string. As for the saddles, I use a file and put the grooves in the saddles myself. I think they're great!

Johnny Isaacs

6. jebuscrebus

jebuscrebus TDPRI Member

I ordered one from Glendale and Dale Dale offered to cut the notch in it for the string pass through at a nominal charge before he shipped it.

7. Raybob

Raybob Tele-Meister

I use a Barden compensated saddle and love it. Had to slice it with my dremel for the B string.
    [​IMG]

8. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

I had a Barden bridge unit on mine also so...........

I put the notch on it for the B string with a nut file. I also had a slot cut into the rear of the bridge plate for the string to pass through......JH in Va.

9. Raybob

Raybob Tele-Meister

I never did notch the saddle. The dremel slice in the plate seems to hold the string in position just fine.

Raybob

10. weevilcaster

weevilcaster TDPRI Member

Dale did the same thing for me for my American Standard B-Bender

11. Chet Johnson

Chet Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Super cool. How is this Joe Barden bridge priced compared to say...Callaham?

12. Raybob

Raybob Tele-Meister

I've never played or seen a Callaham so I couldn't tell you. I know once I had adjusted heights to what I like, adjusting intonation was almost perfect for the string pairs. One was a little off because of my choice of gauge for strings but was corrected with no more than 1/8 turn on a height screw.

Edit: Oh, how was it priced? I got mine on eBay for around $60 with shipping I believe.

13. WhoShotSam

WhoShotSam TDPRI Member

I just got my Callaham bridge in the mail on friday. It looks real good and Bill Callaham was cool to communicate with, he seems real nice and responded to e-mails quickly. The bridge was $135 with two compensated brass saddles for the E/A and G/D, and a stainless steel for the B/E. I'm guessing cause eventually the bender action would cut through a brass saddle. There was a $35 upcharge to have him cut a notch in the bridge plate for the b string to pass through. He recommended having someone with nut files put a groove in the saddle, so I'm having a super great guitar guy here in Missoula by the name of George Wiesel do that. I'll post some pics when its all said and done. But I'm really looking forward to how this bridge improves my tone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.