Vintage bridge for american standard

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rjd81, Apr 15, 2011.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Not only beyond the scope of the home mechanic, but in the end it stymied the Best of the Best as well. The best course of action is to accept the Am. Standard as it is or sell it and buy a 4 mount hole bodied Telecaster. Because in the end, if the through holes are in the wrong places IMO the guitar will never feel like nor play like a proper Leo era Telecaster.

igor5 likes this.
  2. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I believe if you can get the new bridge from the new American Pro Telecasters, it should be a direct replacement. It's not a true vintage bridge but it has 3 compensated brass barrels.

3. boris bubbanov

One of the dumb habits I have always had here at TDPRI is sometimes just slamming a guitar together and shooting some fast images, and letting the arduous process of the image load to Photobucket and during that time I get the guitar closer to properly set up.

In Post #2, that conversion is intonated OK but in Post #8, that black conversion is not even remotely intonated looking like that.

Why does this matter?

Because only when the guitar is properly set up and properly intonated do we know whether a conversion can work. The image in #8 is a misleading panacea. The image in #2 gives you a better idea how different the path of the string is on conversions, next to something like a 1958 Tele.

3 compensated brass barrels is the easy part. The hard part is, when you're locked in by the location of the through holes (American Standard Body, American Pro Body) you can't IMO get the correct amount of break angle behind the saddle. The wound strings in particular break obscenely abruptly over the barrel and dive directly down into the through holes. This means you've taken the plate out of the mix and the string travels pretty much directly from the barrel to the ferrule without any impingement. This makes the string feel tight and IMO it changes the acoustic sound and the impulses to the transducer.

Yeah. I'm saying I've played the American Pro Telecaster and I think they messed up.

4. boris bubbanov

[​IMG]

Look at how sudden these break angles are. I find in playing this, the big E is the furthest from ideal and the A and D actually aren't real bad because the beveled saddle provides not one, but two major points of contact on the saddle and this IMO mitigates the issues I described in the previous post.

I appreciate ya'll putting up with me, getting so deep into the weeds. But I've put a lot of time into the subject since 2011 when this Thread began - some of the more recent Threads will give you a more up to date understanding of my findings on this issue.

5. kanegon

kanegon Tele-Meister

I went through the same dilemma when I got my AM STD body. I didn't like how the bridge plate was bigger and the screws were longer. Then I got a Callaham AM STD bridge and as far as tone is concerned, it's impossible to complain. Same formula: three brass barrels on a steel plate. So I say, go with the new and don't look back. If you absolutely must have lips and 4 screws, Glendale and Barden make reasonable facsimiles, but not worth drilling new holes IMO.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  6. Striker6

Striker6 TDPRI Member

I have a Glendale American Standard Blackguard bridge and Intone saddles on my 1993 American Standard. It's a drop in replacement... Superb quality... and for my purposes, made a huge improvement. There are arguments regarding break angle, aesthetics, etc... I read a lot about them before investing in the mod. As with all debates, there are two sides. I asked Dale directly and he vouched 'it will improve my guitar' if I'm looking for a more vintage vibe. Some will say 'well what do you expect him to tell you... he wants to sell you something.' Well, most everyone agrees Glendale (and others) make some of the finest aftermarket hardware for Tele's. I can only speak of my Glendale experience but I believe they don't sell snake oil. They want and need repeat clientele. Loyal customers are not born from giving them something that doesn't work. Is the 3-barrel AM STD replacement perfect... probably not but it certainly was worth it IMHO. Purists have a different perspective. I respect that too. I do not have much time playing a guitar designed to vintage spec. I have an AVRI 58 inbound next week. Maybe my opinion will change slightly... who knows! Food for thought

7. boris bubbanov

Striker, I think you're putting Dale in a pickle and it isn't fair. He's under intense pressure from customers and would be customers and they will have what they think they want. He can quit business or he can listen patiently to what they say and agree with them. He's a great guitar player and a gentleman and his products have a quality more like jewelry than ordinary guitar pieces parts. I always enjoy talking to him but I think we need to "recuse" him from any determination as to whether this hard work he did actually was an unqualified success. I have got thousands of dollars of Glendale parts I love and Dale did his darnedest on this "conversion" bridge. The fault is not in him and it is not in Bill Callaham that these conversions sort of leave the baseball player in scoring position but it doesn't drive him home. It is simply, physically impossible to get the saddles high enough with this arrangement to suit me and I know enough guys who like their saddles even higher than I like mine. And for us the through holes are simply in the wrong places and it should be evident to 100% of observers, that issue is not addressed by these conversion plates. And it must be addressed or the product has no value to me.

8. Just Dropped In

Just Dropped In Tele-Meister

I've recently had an about-face regarding the vintage vs. modern bridge thing, and I'm getting a used American Standard. I'll never sound like Luther Perkins or Don Rich anyway, so I'm not going to fret over the differences between the two bridge types. I lean towards instrumental rock, so I should be fine. If I ever need to go 3-saddle, some of the units mentioned above should certainly do the trick.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.