Vintage Brass/Steel Saddles

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by IanUk72, May 25, 2020.

1. IanUk72

IanUk72 TDPRI Member

Hi, I have had a Squier Affinity Tele for a few years, with a modern bridge, great guitar for the money, but you do get what you pay for, tuners, all or nothing pots etc..

I have always wanted a Fender Tele and am now in a position to buy a standard. I play blues most of the time, with lots of strings bends and the vintage steel/brass saddles, can the strings move at the bridge, as they appear to be round with nothing to hold the string in place?

This my be a stupid question, but I would rather know before buying, thanks.

2. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Welcome to the forum!

With the exception of a Strat and one Tele.

I have five Tele's that have vintage brass or steel saddles. Never experienced any movement of the strings.

I know some people complain about it. Maybe if you do some Townsend windmills you might have some problems.

There are brass saddles out there that have grooves or you can make your own grooves in them. Brass is a fairly soft metal. Check out the "Bensonite" saddles in the "Vendor" section. You're strings would never wander with those. Although not vintage looking.

You can also get threaded steel saddles.

I wouldn't worry about it until the problem manifests itself. If it ever does.

Kmaxbrady likes this.
  3. IanUk72

IanUk72 TDPRI Member

Great, thanks, I thought as much, just wanted to get a second opinion, cheers.

4. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome also . My CS Rosewood Tele came with threaded steel saddles . Sounds and plays just fine and the strings aren't shifting around no matter how much you try to bend them .

IanUk72 likes this.
  5. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

The break angle creates plenty of tension to hold them in place. Once they are up to pitch, it's actually really hard to move them even if you want to.

IanUk72 and moosie like this.
  6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

What @tfarny said. Fender has been making them with barrel saddles since about 1950 and they still work fine.

IanUk72 likes this.
  7. IanUk72

IanUk72 TDPRI Member

Thanks guys, I know if they were an issue they would have remedied it long ago, appreciate the input.

8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Steel 70s saddles have grooves. 60s had screw threads, I have/had them and find they're good.

Had two brass barrel Teles, no problem with them either. Many people try to 'fix' tuning problems that are caused by something else.

Attached Files:

IanUk72 likes this.
  9. Chicken Curry

Chicken Curry TDPRI Member

I moved my E strings inward to move them away from the edge, with a bit of force they actually moved. (They moved back after a while). So if straight, you won't need to worry about it.

IanUk72 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.