Vintage Bicycles

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
Last summer I had some more skin cancer removed. The nurse doing prep was shocked by a 62 year old so full of scraped, bruised and scarred arms and legs. The Mohs surgeon guy told her that's how you identify a mountain biker, and that's it's a syndrome that occurs at all ages.
we used to call it makin' bacon since the scabs look kind of like bacon.

Silent Otto

Tele-Holic
I came home one day with a raspberry from hip to babytoe (destroyed the shimano road shoe), elbow to shoulder when my roadbike front tire popped at 30kph...

Wait, what's the topic again, vintage bicycle wounds?

oatsoda

Tele-Holic
Pretty sure it’s a 1998, not what I would consider vintage, but getting older all the time!
88BC29F0-F717-43DB-B3FD-034B9A2C980C.jpeg

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
Pretty sure it’s a 1998, not what I would consider vintage, but getting older all the time! View attachment 983300
When I lived in Santa Rosa, CA in the early 90s I was a sponsored rider on the Jolt Cola/Softride team. We got Softride bikes and a few cases of Jolt per rider. The bikes were actually great in criterium racing. They just felt streamlined and fast, plus any bumps were less jarring.

Remember Jolt? The slogan was “all the sugar and twice the caffeine”.

oatsoda

Tele-Holic
Remember Jolt? The slogan was “all the sugar and twice the caffeine”.
I remember.

I had a little bike shop sponsorship for parts and service, freestyle BMX mostly, did a bunch of SoCal bike shop shows one summer, some 1/4 and kick ramp, a little clowning around on the unicycle. Got a couple Dynos handed to me. Lots of stuff from Odyssey. Was really fun driving around in my VW bus acting the fool, which I guess I was. A great way to procrastinate growing up.

Had a univega mountain bike Must have been about 88. We poached a ton of hiking trails in the Angelas. Broke the frame jumping a big flight of stairs at a high school. The bike shop gave me a new one under warranty.

Still have my Dyno BMX cruiser, Nitro 24. Think it’s a 98 or 99. I’ll run out to the shop and snap a pic.

Gaz_

Tele-Holic
Unless you're a collector, or a total vintage bike nerd planning to do an Eroica ride, new bike technology
is so much lighter and better in almost every way, in my opinion....ymmv of course.

Perhaps the worst thing about new bikes is how much they cost! And I do remember how wonderful classic, glued-on
sew-ups feel on the road. And you could buy a race ready road bike like a Bridgestone RB-1 for a lot less money, even
in inflation-adjusted dollars, because there wasn't nearly as much complicated technology.
I think this was it for me. I'd never had a racing/road bike, and I wanted to try one, but for not too large an outlay. For what I paid for my peugeot, I could have got alot less in a new bike, which would also have been a low cost, unknown brand.

All of that sounds very logical, the key here is I thought my peugeot was pretty...

Stanford Guitar

Friend of Leo's
Rack and small panniers. Was going to do a custom braze on rack, too much trouble. This cheap seat tube/seat stay attached rack is pretty sturdy. Removed front derailleur and converted to 1x6. Enough gears for me for city cruising.

IMG_0006.jpeg

Last edited:

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Here are some pics from the vintage story about my bro's woman/gf/partner.

The repainted yellow French bike and the blue one original were used in **** era Olympics. She's sold the two IH Scouts and antique guns as well as a lot of vintage Campy parts. There's a new in box 2002 Bianchi.

That's my brother where most can't believe we're siblings. @otterhound should love the vintage Ford (covered) we've had in the family since the 1940s. I helped my dad with its first restoration in the 1970s before he died.

I believe the blue bike is a 1936 Durkopp.

Wooden rims! I bet that competes with carbon fiber for weight.

Nnb5GDs.jpg

Os7lMiN.jpg

ssdptUR.jpg

c9BclrH.jpg

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Every "vintage" bike I had as a kid had coffee cans for a seat....I don't want vintage anymore.