Vintage Bicycles

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stanford Guitar, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Friend of Leo's

The guy who designed for Bridgestone, Grant Petersen, has a shop here in NorCal called Rivendell. The are works of art.

Nightclub Dwight and LAPlayer like this.
  2. Stanford Guitar

A few more photos to show the incredible condition of this bike given it is 40 years old. Will be taking it apart to clean and polish soon. Check out the beautiful fillet brazing....also note the original brake pads.

510F857D-2905-44B5-A7B4-D5F8C0539BC3_1_105_c.jpeg 747D6968-EAE8-40AE-BC97-519D514D1B5F_1_105_c.jpeg 9AEAFB06-0FEF-4F15-915C-78CD17F9E665_1_105_c.jpeg

3. SKEsq

SKEsq Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

So it's not vintage, but its based on a cult classic Cannondale Track
    Tarck.jpg

4. Ivorytooth

Ivorytooth Tele-Meister

I have Mag-21 shocks on it. There were Mag-20s before it. It is an air and oil shock. You take the screw out of the knobs on the top where you adjust the stiffness and use a needle for airing up basketballs etc., hooked to a syringe with a pressure gauge on it.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  5. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, that’s what it was... now I remember!

Ivorytooth likes this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Great stuff in there, he was more instrumental in mtn bike tech than I knew.
    If you can confirm that he personally made that frame and that it's got all original parts, I'm not sure taking it all apart to fix it up is the best thing to do.
    Are any parts problematic now?
    Pretty durn clean, might really not need anything fixed up.
    Tires are new, maybe cables are original?
    Those Campy brake pads slip out of nthe chrome assemblies, so just the rubber can be replaced. May or may not have been done in the past, but again, doesn't even look like it was ridden for a whole summer.
    It's a piece of history and somebody would put it in a museum!

7. Stanford Guitar

He's a legend in the MTB world. He, Jobst Brandt, Joe Breeze and a few others were the true pioneers of MTB here in the Santa Cruz mountains and Marin County. I live about 10 miles from him and used to see him out on the trails once in awhile. This bike will likely hang for awhile at a local shop here where Ritchey got its start. It was definitely built by him, that's been verified :).

If you get a chance, check out the movie Klunkerz.

https://electricbikeaction.com/where-did-the-mountain-bike-come-from-tom-ritchey-shares-his-story/

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/mtb-history.html

https://us.ritcheylogic.com/us_en/blog/tom-ritchey-a-tribute-to-jobst

Some of the trails where off road cycling was born, my daily trails!
    EB4625FB-0ED6-4DF9-9A8D-34B5512A283A_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  8. Veitchy

Veitchy Tele-Afflicted

Interesting stuff. I actually met Ned very briefly at a bike shop I was working at a few years ago. Real personable guy.

The early MTB racing scene sounded pretty cool, in a traveling circus kind of way. Joe Parkin’s book on the subject was a great read. I still think about tracking down an old Yeti frame and putting drops and a Tioga Tension Disc wheel on it like Tomac.

Nightclub Dwight and hepular like this.
  9. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

LAPlayer and ejphotos like this.
  10. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

So its not vintage, but midschool BMX...Haro Dave Mirra 540 Air I got brand new in 2001.

20201019_203610-2890x2167.jpg

TwangToInfinity and LAPlayer like this.
  11. imwjl

imwjl Doctor of Teleocity

@Stanford Guitar that's pretty sweet. I hope it fits you. My original StumpJumper is long gone but I have two or 3 classics in a Fat Chance, Chris Chance road bike, and a Schwinn Cruiser probably older than my 61 years.

Kind of funny because I don't think my Chris Chance (Fat City) below or actual Fat Chance are that old but my Typhoon yes. As my pals and I age we prefer our modern MTBs made of plastic and recycled beer cans while we can still ride expert stuff. The youngsters like our old bikes.

Another funny twist on vintage is my kids have stolen some old made in USA Patagonia clothing items I still have. I still have some made in USA shrink to fit 501 jeans. Patagonia reissued same colors of a vest this fall where my daughter's sent photos of her wearing my original and old Levis jeans from her "thrifting".

@chris m. at this point in life my only racing is to the toilet but I confess to a big inner smile when I can make a younger rider hurt or hit trail sections where I still do it and others take he buyout. Last summer I got a concussion gapping some rollers I've done many times and just an injury from cutting firewood is with me a year later so as active as I am, I think I'm vintage now.

This morning I read a trail stalwart near our cabin I knew by face died on the trail and thought that would be a good way to go if I knew someone could just bury the mess and have a good party.

Retro stuff can be fun but right now I live for what a modern trail bike and modern skis can do.

[​IMG]

12. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

If you're really into vintage bikes, visit Amsterdam some time. Come out of the train station and turn right..........thousands. Some have been there for years. When I'm in Europe (in normal years) Amsterdam is one of my haunts. These aren't the thousands of abandoned ones - these are the ones ridden daily (for the most part).

IMG_2955.jpeg 663A6733.jpeg

Here's a bike I came across in Edinburgh last summer.

DSC05972.jpeg

chris m. and ejphotos like this.
  13. hepular

hepular Tele-Afflicted

Ned (not surprisingly) won that day, on a stock rockhopper, & the specialized rep said it was the same bike he'd won NORBA nationals on, cuz they hadn't gotten his custom stumpy done in time.

14. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

That's a looker. Any idea what it weighs?

15. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

No, but given it's Reynolds 531 tubing I'd guess around 22lb.

16. Jamie_h

Jamie_h Tele-Meister

I met Ned in the late 90s or so when he had transitioned to ironman type races. This was a Nissan Xterra event or something like that. Super rad to meet a mtn bike legend.

Nightclub Dwight and hepular like this.
  17. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Here's my RockHopper Comp I bought near the end of my bicycle mechanic career. I think it's an '88? It's been modded here to make it a little less off road and more bike trail friendly.

[​IMG]

I have a Park Tools repair stand in transit as we speak, I'm nearing retirement and want to start playing with bicycles again. A couple years back I bought a new "Schwinn" cruiser just to see how crappy cheap bikes are these days (not quite as bad as I expected BTW) and I recently started ordering parts to modify it. Sturmey 5 speed hub with drum brake, Deore XT QR front hub. Deore V-brake to replace the POS it came with. New rims that aren't painted. Stainless spokes wil be ordered once the front hub is here.

Once the cruiser is done I think the Rock Hopper is going to get a complete rebuild. Ditch the Biopace chainrings on it (I've always suspected they made it harder to do looooooonnnngggg wheelies but it may be my eyesight that's the culprit) but otherwise leave the mods in place.

I'm also jonesing for a few '60s era REAL Schwinns (I worked in schwinn shops for about ten of my formativ years) and have been starting to watch the ads for those...

PS - until this post I never considered my Rock Hopper to be vintage... but it fits in with the age of other bikes I see here to I'll post it under light protest...

18. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

Thanks. That's lighter than I would have guessed.

19. hepular

hepular Tele-Afflicted

now you just need some brakes that work . .. (altho' at least they're not modolos).

20. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

Now you're talking! Those are some legends you mention. That would be an honor to be lapped by Cindy Whitehead. Nothing short of amazing what she accomplished in that race alone, let alone the rest of her career.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.