Vintage barrel saddles on a modern affinity bridge?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by DonnyJones819, Sep 25, 2021.

1. DonnyJones819

DonnyJones819 NEW MEMBER!

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade my 2020 squier affinity tele, as I want a better telecaster but have a sentimental attachment to this one, so I dont want to buy a new one. I have had this question that I havent found answered anywhere on the internet: would it be possible for me to swap out my modern saddles for 6 vintage style barrel ones?

Switching the bassplate is awkward as mine has 5 screws and is a different shape to all the bridgeplates with barrel saddles. So i was wondering if I could keep the bridge plate but switch out the saddles.

I understand this may be a silly question, but surely its possible, right?

Additional notes: I am talking about six individual barrel saddles, like on the muddy waters tele. My guitar is string through and does not have toploading capabilities.

Thank you.

2. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Small barrel saddles are horrible anyhow ,they buzz and get misaligned if you breathe on them.
    Leave it alone ,your bridge is fine.

Maguchi, RodeoTex and hemingway like this.
  3. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

That Muddy bridge would be the last thing I would want on a tele. It's horrible to play and really unstable.

4. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

I love the Fender Vintage 6-Saddle Bridge!

Then again, I don't use 9s with low action and zero or negative neck angle, as many do. They would indeed live up to their "Rattler" nickname in those setup conditions.

5. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

The saddle mounting holes on "vintage" 6-saddle bridge plates are offset, but not on Affinity "modern" bridges, so the strings would tend to push the saddles to one side. IMO, barrel saddles suck hard enough without that added nonsense.

Maguchi likes this.
  6. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Just get modern saddles, but brass…like these going into my Bullet Tele. I think we have the same bridge. It doesn’t lend itself to modding very well :(

I ordered these Chinese brass saddles for mine. Measure your present saddles- they should drop in!

694C1CE8-62C3-4CC5-A175-E07FBAEF2459.jpeg

RodeoTex likes this.
  7. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

As you might have gathered from the other replies, it is a bit unusual to try and convert a 6-block-saddle-equipped Tele, to one that is 6-barrel-saddle-equipped! More members here seem to be trying to convert one from 6-block to the much earlier designed 3-barrel.

If you truly want to try that 6-barrel saddle type, post a picture of what you have now, showing your tele’s bridge and saddles. A picture that shows clearly the location of the 5 mounting screws and the 6 string-through holes, relative to the saddles and bridgeplate back lip. And you get a bonus for measuring the distance of those from the neck side of the nut.

Do you want a bridgeplate that looks something like this one?

FAD367E4-0497-4F04-84F5-7EFD1230B135.jpeg
    8E82C358-CE13-494E-B156-7E209388A2A5.jpeg

Fender/Squier used one somewhat like that on some Squier Standard Series teles in the ‘90s, and I have a couple in my parts drawer I removed to use other bridgeplates. The one above is on eBay and relatively inexpensive ($11.99 with free shipping - I have no affiliation with them). Here’s a link to it:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=384376227162

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  8. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

I put Callaham stamped steel saddles made for an American Standard or Mexican Strat on my 2015 Squier Standard Tele. They fit perfect and sound great. I think they're the 2 1/16" string spacing ones. If you need longer intonation screws, they're easy to find.

https://www.callahamguitars.com/strat_trem_216saddleset_catalog.htm

20210617_144701.jpg

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  9. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Holic

I bought a set of those for A 2018 affinity top load Tele and they're too narrow. Measure with a caliper as above said. Some are different than others.

68Telebass likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.