Vintage amps...how many of yours have original or really old tubes?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by naveed211, Jun 14, 2020.

1. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The 9 pin tubes would last 40 or more years often. Then they'd be noisy but still strong.
    The rectifiers last forever. I still have ancient rectifiers in all my vintage amps.

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

this one is still chugging along... big iron..:)

Dynacord 3.jpg

Dynacord glowing tubes.jpg

3. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Holic

I know for sure my 1967 Gretsch 6152 has all orig. RCA tubes, my 1966 Ampeg Gemini II has all original Ampeg tubes and my 1976 SANO has all orig. tubes of various makes. All still going strong! My 1962 Fender Vibrolux and Pro both have NOS tubes just because they deserve them.
    Thanks John

4. Esquire Bob

Esquire Bob Tele-Meister

Both my 1965 Princeton reverb and ‘65 deluxe reverb have their original tubes. My amps probably weren’t used a lot but the biase must have been pretty much perfect.

5. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

My 1960's Gibson GA-5T Skylark still has the original tubes, Gibson branded so I'm not sure who the OEM was. Haven't fired it up in a while as it needs a cap job, but the tubes were still ok.

6. Mick Sullivan

Mick Sullivan Tele-Meister

Anyone?

7. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Most of them - including my blond '60 Twin and '61 Showman, '66 Deluxe Reverb and '65 Supro Thunderbolt. A few others might.

IMO changing old tubes just because of age is silly. Most 1950's/60's GE, Sylvania, RCA, Mullard and Amperex preamp AND power tubes I run across are still working fine.

But once you start flipping Russian, Chinese and European tubes and other replacements into the mix(don't get me started on "non-reissue reissues") tube life becomes a crapshoot.

I do get a laugh out of those who replace their tubes annually like they're changing oil on a car or something....

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

This is my 1964 Rickenbacker B9A....the stains in the silver tolex are knotholes bleeding through. It is near mint...and 7ntouchedu touched. Everything is original...everything. I was raised with two prong plugs, so I hear when th8ngs are backwards...and flip the plug 4A9185FB-F150-494B-8AC3-F3D139BC12ED.jpeg 27EA4EF6-2C4E-4256-AEA6-28ECB297521E.jpeg

solid copper chassis, single 6V6, OEM C12R!!! Big time amp, imho.,

tubegeek likes this.
  9. RWB

RWB TDPRI Member

I have a few vintage Fender amps. Most of them came with a mixture of modern and vintage tubes. As long as they worked OK and weren't noisy or microphonic I left them for the most part.

I bought my 1965 Deluxe Reverb almost new back in the day. It had Marconi 6V6GT tubes from the factory. Just a few years after I bought it, either one of the tubes failed and took out a power supply cap or vice versa. I remember it cost me about $20 to have the cap replaced and a new tube installed but didn't sound quite the same.

About 15 years ago I found a pair of the same NOS Marconi 6V6GT's on eBay and bought them. They sound great. So they're not the original tubes that came with the amp but certainly as close as I could ever come.

10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I have never seen a set of OEM Marconi 6V6s in any made in the USA amp. Interesting.

11. Geo

Geo Poster Extraordinaire

My SF Vibrolux still has GE power tubes and whatever others in it. I haven't used it for
    a while so have forgotten what the others are but no doubt same age.
    I sold a SF DR to a studio and it still had RCA tubes in it that were at least 20 years old.
    Both amps had very robust output so the tubes didn't fad much.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  12. emisilly

emisilly Tele-Afflicted

I have. 67 Ampeg J-12D Jet with all original tubes. Replacements are hard to get and outrageously expensive so fingers crossed...

Just last week I bought a 66 Ampeg Reverberocket II. Original power tubes, original 6U10 and one original Amperex 12AX7. Only one replacement tube, a JJ 12AX7.

13. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

I have an Ampeg B25B bass head that has the original tubes. I'm not sure how old it is, but I know they stopped making this model in 1979, so it's at least that old. This head was heavily gigged back in the day and was never treated nicely, but it still sounds great.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.