Vintage '64s vs Custom Shop Texas Specials

Slippery Jack

Tele-Meister
I've just finished refinishing my US Standard 1999 tele, which I had previously fitted a Wilkinson vintage bridge pickup after the original failed about 10 years ago. The Wilkinson sounds similar to a Custom Shop Texas Special that I have in a different tele, except it has a bit more bottom end.

Having just spent the effort in re-finishing the guitar I'm considering changing the bridge pickup to a Vintage '64 pickup. Does anyone know how the two compare please? I've tried doing a search but have not found anything.

nic'o'caster

Tele-Afflicted
Being overwound, the CS TS will be hotter with more lows and low mids. Great pickups if you're after a blues rock tone !
If you want more balance and definition the '64 is the ticket, fantastic for clean but works also great with dirt :)
My 2cts advice : you may like the CS TS better at first, but the '64 will be a long term investment, they will make you a better player !

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
The '64 Tele set is one of the best pickup sets I've ever heard (in videos anyways...never owned them...but I've watched a LOT of videos of them in different rigs and with a variety of players), and I'm not Fender fanboy. A lot of people here seem to love them too.

Not sure if it's the same Texas Specials but I had an American Special about 6 years ago or so that had them and I HATED the sound of them. YMMV.

BlueCajun

Tele-Holic
Can't comment on the Texas Specials, but I love the 64 PV set in my American Original 60s Tele. And I honestly was not prepared to like them so much. In fact, before the guitar arrived from Sweetwater, I was fully expecting to replace them with a set from Cavalier (just because I like Rob's pickups that much). But unless I need noise cancelling at some point (the 64 PV set is not RWRP), these are pickups aren't going anywhere.

wdbmusic

TDPRI Member
Can't comment on the Texas Specials, but I love the 64 PV set in my American Original 60s Tele. And I honestly was not prepared to like them so much. In fact, before the guitar arrived from Sweetwater, I was fully expecting to replace them with a set from Cavalier (just because I like Rob's pickups that much). But unless I need noise cancelling at some point (the 64 PV set is not RWRP), these are pickups aren't going anywhere.
I've just bought a set of 64's, how do they compare with the Cavalier Lions.. ? I'm currently using the Nashville Lion.. just curious..🤔

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Having owned both, to my ear the pickups are nothing alike. The Texas Specials are hotter, modern, more mids. The 64s are bright, twangy, smooth. I love the 64s (in my AV64), and I never liked the Tx Sp much. My son likes them in his Tele, though. Which makes sense, as he primarily likes Gibsons / PAFs these days. Which are also higher output, more mids.

Not to say that Tx Sp sound like PAFs. Just that they definitely don't sound like clear, clean, low output vintage pickups. Just depends what you like. Maybe that's a good thing, maybe not.

fattboyzz

Tele-Meister
Im another one who diggs the PV 64s.

I was building my first partscaster Tele and was looking for a bsb body. This one came like its pictured with pups and hardware. A member on Squiertalk gave me a gr8 deal on the CV neck with tuners in tow ;)
Gr8 playing Tele she turned out to be.
The PV64s are the star of this partscaster for sure.

Attachments

• 20181210_091132.jpg
    20181210_091132.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 9