1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vintage '64s vs Custom Shop Texas Specials

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Slippery Jack, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Slippery Jack

Slippery Jack Tele-Meister

I've just finished refinishing my US Standard 1999 tele, which I had previously fitted a Wilkinson vintage bridge pickup after the original failed about 10 years ago. The Wilkinson sounds similar to a Custom Shop Texas Special that I have in a different tele, except it has a bit more bottom end.

Having just spent the effort in re-finishing the guitar I'm considering changing the bridge pickup to a Vintage '64 pickup. Does anyone know how the two compare please? I've tried doing a search but have not found anything.

2. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Being overwound, the CS TS will be hotter with more lows and low mids. Great pickups if you're after a blues rock tone !
    If you want more balance and definition the '64 is the ticket, fantastic for clean but works also great with dirt :)
    My 2cts advice : you may like the CS TS better at first, but the '64 will be a long term investment, they will make you a better player !

porto leone and BlueCajun like this.
  3. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The '64 Tele set is one of the best pickup sets I've ever heard (in videos anyways...never owned them...but I've watched a LOT of videos of them in different rigs and with a variety of players), and I'm not Fender fanboy. A lot of people here seem to love them too.

Not sure if it's the same Texas Specials but I had an American Special about 6 years ago or so that had them and I HATED the sound of them. YMMV.

BlueCajun likes this.
  4. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Can't comment on the Texas Specials, but I love the 64 PV set in my American Original 60s Tele. And I honestly was not prepared to like them so much. In fact, before the guitar arrived from Sweetwater, I was fully expecting to replace them with a set from Cavalier (just because I like Rob's pickups that much). But unless I need noise cancelling at some point (the 64 PV set is not RWRP), these are pickups aren't going anywhere.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.