1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vintage 52 Refinish

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by donanna, Feb 8, 2007.

1. donanna

donanna TDPRI Member

Hello, I'm finaly getting back to you guys,been having trouble uploading my pics to this forum. I did get some in the gallery. These are some pics of my wife's Vintage 52 it was bought new by her great uncle. My wife's mother purchased the guitar from him in early 70's. The Guitar is original except before she got it the uncle's stepson scratched his initials in the finish on the body. The body was refinished soon after she got it but wasn't very well done. The color looks a little light and isn't as slick as the original finish on the neck. We dont plan on selling it anytime soon but we know the value is much less since it is refinished. The pictures are in the vintage section in the gallery under Tele 5,6,7 take look and give me your opinions on the body.

2. TeleTurkey

TeleTurkey Tele-Holic

That's a nice looking '52. The refin looks almost natural. Is that how it really looks or is that the light?

The big question is how does it play?

If you are going to keep it and play it AND you don't like the finish why not get another refin? I may be wrong, but a refin is a refin right? Someone posted beautiful pictures of a recent blackguard refin. If you love the guitar, want to keep it and play it, you might check that out.

I could be way off here and I'm sure others that know much more than I will correct me if so.

3. donanna

donanna TDPRI Member

I'm sorry to say we don't play, but plugged it in last year and it still works. I know it's not good but this guitar hasn't been played since the early 70's. My wife's mother did play it but was killed in a car wreck a few years after she bought it. My wife will probably keep it because it was her mom's. That is the color in the picture or the way it looks in real life anyway. The guitar looks a little light, but I dont know if the originals were that much different.

4. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

5. donanna

donanna TDPRI Member

Thanks Maestro your the man!! Kept telling me my pic's were to big THANKS!

6. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

That's a very nice looking guitar you have there. It's a shame not to play it though...

BBB.

7. 0le FUZZY

0le FUZZY Former Member

8. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If it has a bad refinish, get a good refinish and give it a light relicing and who's to know it's a refinish. And while you're at it, learn how to use those Kluson turners.

9. 0le FUZZY

0le FUZZY Former Member

10. donanna

donanna TDPRI Member

Hey guys thanks for your input no offense taken I have read enough in this forum to know you know what your talking about I also believe if you dont want to know somebody's opinion dont ask I did have the guitar apart once I dont remember the exact date in the neck pocket but the month and year was Aug. 52 with the name Davis. I also believe the guitar should be refinished to a more original look but having sentimental value is little different than dollar value which makes it harder to change or alter it.

11. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Just put new strings on it and give it a good setup if it needs it and play it every day...

Personnaly I would prefer that the guitar left as it is to exibit it's own history rather than refinned again and reliced... Thais just me... I have a 1936 Gibson ES150 that was refinished light blonde in the early 60's and I'm probably not gonna refinish it again with a sunburst.... but that's just me...

12. 0le FUZZY

0le FUZZY Former Member

...I gree, that thang iss beautiful just as it iss inna pix. A liddo daylight and sum pickin and it wood look like it should.

[​IMG]

(deranged internet-based alter ego, with my own lexicon and all.)

Please visit my page

13. RelicStrat

RelicStrat Tele-Meister

It's never too late to learn. That's a nice guitar to learn on.

14. nacho

nacho Tele-Meister

twins

Hey I do own 1/53 Tele cereal number 5261, we should get together sometime ha:D
    nb

15. donanna

donanna TDPRI Member

My wife said I should take lessons so it would get some playing time. Both her family and mine have had an interest in playing my dad always loved and played the Dobro had one when he died. My wife's uncle that bought the Tele fell in love with Bluegrass and as far as I know he still plays at the age of 80 her grandfather was a very good fiddle player and her grandma played guitar. We both love music but never picked it up. We own several instruments but play none I still have an old 1963 H22 bass that I bought at a yard sale when I was sixteen never learned to play it either that was 30 years ago. I know what your saying to realy appreciate a good instrument you should be able to play it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.