1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vintage 30 Celestion in a small combo ??

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by robt57, Apr 11, 2008.

1. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Application, 1x12 combo. I may trade for a good used speaker. I have a little crate I wired to my two 10s [impedance match with 2, not one of these line-6 10"s I tried] it sounded excellent.

So I want to mod the little cab, or make another cab with one 12".

Is the V-30/G-12 too heavy duty for the low wattage amp? I do run an effects processor in front of it.

The two 10"s I tried are in a Spider 210 [original] which is 50W stereo, so I am guessing the speakers are not as HD as the V-30/G-12.

I fear the G-12 will not be effecient enough to sound like anything other than poop. Although I could take the 12" out of my Son's Spider 1x12 and give him the G-12, the ohms are a match...

Appreciate any in-site, Thanks

2. FolkSingerBlues

FolkSingerBlues TDPRI Member

I have a Celestion Vintage 30 in my Peavey Classic 30. I love it.
    I'm not sure what your question really was. Your post seemed more informative. The V30 is not as clean but has a very nice broken up tone.

3. robt57

I was just concerned it would be to stiff for the small amp to push it really, although that may make it do OK clean, as opposed to in a 40-50 watt amp. I forget the watts on the crate, but it has an 8" now. And it sounded really good with the 2 10", like I could gig it miked good maybe.

I had to go look, but it is a crate CR-19

4. robt57

Crate sez 10 watts 20 wats era

What is era ???? Peak ???

5. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I have a V-30 in my Princeton Reverb II (20+ watts), and it sounds very nice indeed. I plugged my other Princeton Reverb (12 watts) into the V-30 and it sounded just as nice.

Some people say that the V-30 sounds best in a closed cabinet w/ a Marshall-type amp. I put this one in my Fender because I had it laying around. I didn't expect it to sound so good - but it does.

6. Tdot

Tdot Poster Extraordinaire

I have a 12" Vintage 30 speaker in my Carvin Vintage 16 amp (5/16 watt). It sounds great, clean so far, but haven't had time to break it in. Haven't tried the 5 watt mode yet.

Here's a funny guy reviewing the same amp & speaker.

7. 791979

791979 Tele-Meister

I have a Cornford Hurricane 1x12 combo, about 18 watts, open backed and that seems to work well with the V30 (that's standard in these). The V30's are pretty efficient speakers (so they are loud).

I find that they can sound a bit harsh for my use. They seem to be best really clean or really rocking... I think the harshness lessens with age, so one that has hard a lot of use will probably sound nicer.

8. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

I have a V30 in an open-back cab. Use it with my DIY 18 watter or DIY 5E3 heads. Pushes alot of air...doesn't poop. Sounds great cranked to 10.

9. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What's the "tonal family" of the amp you want to use the V30 with? To my ears, V30s sound horrible with Marshall and Vox type circuits, cold and harsh, with an unpleasant upper-mid emphasis that sounds sterile and clanky. I gather that some people like V30s with Blackface/Silverface Fender type circuits, though I don't. I don't know anyone who likes V30s with Fender tweed type circuits. V30s have a particular "voice," that may suit some amps but really clashes with others.

10. skeksis

skeksis Tele-Afflicted

I tried a v30 in an epiphone galaxie 25 a couple years ago, and there was no trouble. but it wasn't to my taste - every time I picked up the guitar, it made me want to loop guns & roses riffs, and not the stuff I tend to play. tried an eminence red fang in the same amp with great results.

11. Schnauzer

Schnauzer Tele-Meister

Speaker swap

Robt57:

I put a g12h30 in my Peavey Classic 30. Changed that amp into a tone monster. I was lucky in that I was smart enough to listen to a speaker expert Dave from Avatar.

Jim

12. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

Funny....I put in a NOS 16 ohm Celestion G12H30 in an open backed EarCandy 1 x 12 cabinet.
    Just wasn't the sound I was looking for?
    Lucked into a NIB 1955 Quincy "top hat" alnico speaker on flea-bay for......$9.00!?
    NOW DAT's......"THE SOUND"!!
    BTW: Many vintage alnico speakers sell for coffee money on e-bay.
    Sure you're taking a chance.....but for $10 or $20....NOT a bank-breaking gamble.
    Some nicer sounding....but cheaper...."off" brands are:
    Wilder..........made in Chicago
    Quincy.........made in Chicago
    Cleveland......bought a pair of 10" for my 2 x 10 cab....very nice sweet sound.
    DNH.............bought this $15....beautiful gold frame & HUGE alnico magnet!!

Steve

13. hwestman

hwestman Tele-Holic

I have a Marshall Artist 30 which has the V30. Great clear sound that projects really well. I'm happy!

14. Bluesbob

Bluesbob Tele-Afflicted

Yes! It'll make it louder and raunchier. If that's what you want.

15. Fourth Feline

Fourth Feline Tele-Holic

- Conversely, I put one of the new 10" Greenback ( G10) in my Peavey Classic 20, and turned it into a lovely warm Blues / Jazz treasure.

I had a Jensen in there before - and that had been very good at neutral e.q. Fender / clean sounds - but now I have a lovely contrast to my other amps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.