Vintage 1981 Boss DS-1 MIJ sounds the same as 2009 DS-1MIT

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Jazzerclean, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean TDPRI Member

Had great memories of my first Boss pedal bought in 1981 which was a DS-1. I used it with both a 75 strat and a 77 Les Paul Custom through a 77 Marshall JMP & recall getting nothing but a great full & fat sound. Many people back then were using DS-1's. I took mine from Australia to England in the 80's where I lived for a few years and gigged with it over there & eventially sold it.

Fast forward 38 years and had I had a chance to buy again another 1981 MIJ DS--1 long dash totally original for a bargain price of $25 AU.

Even with a different guitar and different amps (Roland JC55, Vox Pathfinder 15R Polytone MBII, Henriksen Jazz Amp) I instantly got the great sound that I remembered, but here's the kicker!

Soon after buying the 1981 MIJ, I bought two, MIT DS-1's (2009 & 2011) where I modded one of the MIT to the wampler vintage mod (the one with white knobs) and left the other MIT and the 1981 MIJ untouched as stock.

I was shocked when I compared side by side the stock 1981 MIJ & the stock 2009 MIT as they both sounded exactly the same in all settings for the tone, level & distortion.

As many people seem to dislike the MIT DS-1 and say the sound of the vintage MIJ is noticably better, I found my DS-1 MIT sounds identical to the original 1981 MIJ & both sound absolutely great to me.

Considering I paid $36 for the MIT DS-1 & the value of the Long Dash 1981 DS--1s, its great to find the MIT DS-1's are IMO are equal in sound as the vintage ones, but I'm going to say that its subjective for the die hard, vintage collectors/dealers comanding big $$$$$.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    SweetClyde99 likes this.
  2. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

So that's good?

3. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

Oh really? Did you see their inside well?
    I guess your 1981's should have the original configuration since 1978 which consists of the "DS-1" circuit with a Toshiba TA7136AP pre-amplifier (not an op-amp but a preamp circuit), and then your 2009 has the "DS1-A" circuit with a Mitsubishi M5223AL op-amp or a New Japan Radio NJM2904L op-amp.
    If so, it's a little hard for me to believe that the 2 different circuits and core parts produce the same sound...
    Your 2009 has something different which is similar to original version?

4. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean TDPRI Member

Yes, the MIJ 81 has the toshiba chip & no mods, the STOCK MIT can't recall what is used, but yes, (Imo)
    the MIT sound identical to the MIJ, but lets say the MIJ sounds worlds apart so I can sell the for MIJ for a ton, lol.
    Just my perspective in case someone was looking for a non-vintage DS-1 & concerned.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020 at 5:34 AM
  5. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

Okay, I respect your own opinion, but don't agree on the choice of the word "identical". :D
    I wouldn't say which is better (old or new, MIJ or MIT, etc), Boss has maintained a high standard of product quality.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.