Vince Gills Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by HighlonesomeF5, Oct 9, 2019.

1. HighlonesomeF5

HighlonesomeF5 TDPRI Member

Would anyone know what PUs Vince uses on his strat on the Guitar Slinger album?

2. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I just read an article that says he has a 59 Strat, which he takes with him on the road.

So maybe those ones.

Edit: From the article:

"In comparison, Gill’s Stratocaster collection is fairly modest. “I may have eight or 10 Strats in all,” he says. “All great ones—early Sixties and older. My number one right now is a ’59 Strat with a slab fingerboard—the first year Fender did slab boards. I got it from Duane Eddy’s son. Duane got it new in 1959, but then he decided he was never going to be a Fender player, and he gave it to his son to play. His son played it his whole life, but one day he called me up and said, ‘I need to sell this old Strat.’ I played it, and it’s one of those guitars that you get in your hands and you never forget the sound of it and the way it plays. It trumps all the other Strats I have.”

3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

^^^ yep, so in guessing stock '59 Fender pickups.
    Vince doesn't seem like a guy who would be swapping pickups and things chasing a sound.
    Maybe Brad, I dunno.

4. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

I'm guessing it's the '59 he bought from Duane Eddy's son, so maybe still original.

"This all-original 1959 Fender Stratocaster was purchased by Gill from Duane Eddy's son."

5. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Meister

I haven't watched these in a while but it may be in here.

Tele-writer and RodeoTex like this.
  6. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

The Telecaster he spoke about was bought, (like Vince said) at Del City Music in Del City, Okla.

I had been there several times over the years. Met the members of Steely Dan there when they were doing an "In Store" appearance just after the "Can't Buy a Thrill" LP came out.

The owner Bob Woods was not a great person to deal with. He would mark-up and sell instruments over the the retail list price and if he gave you a discount it was probably wound-up being the list price.

A lot of the local players had a nick-name for Bob......"Bend over Bob".

urbandefault likes this.
  7. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

With Vince Gill it's all in his hands. I don't think he has a need to change things up. If I were half the player Gill is, I would be twice the player of anyone I know.

AlbertaGriff and joealso like this.
  8. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

He has so many good strats I can't tell/ He even has these drawers made for them. See Youtube and make up your mind.

9. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

Some interesting notes from Vince in an interview with Guitarworld.

What type of gear did you use on Guitar Slinger?

I have a pretty insane collection. There’s a handful of go-to guitars. There’s a 1953 Telecaster I’ve had for over 30 years; that’s probably a signature-sounding instrument that I’ve played most everything on for the most part. It has the real chicken pickin’, real identifiable Fender Telecaster sound.
    ---
    I recently got a 1959 Strat that was bought brand new by Duane Eddy, and it’s so cool. His son sold it to me.
    ---
    There’s a 335 on the record on a ballad called “True Love.” There’s a Les Paul on “Threaten Me With Heaven,” the long rockish-type solo at the end.
    ---
    I always use different amps. I have a wide selection of old amps, including a lot of old Fender tweed stuff. I have a ’59 Bassman; they have such a one-of-a-kind sound. I’d never played through one before, and I knew Eric would play through something like that. He would play in middle position on his Strat, and I would always say, “How does it sound like that?” I put my Strat in middle position and crank it up and it’s just a little bit clanky. A friend of mine, Danny Nader, who lives in Cincinnati, just gave me this Bassman. He said, “I never use it. Please take it and use it.” I plugged in and I said, “Oh, there it is.”
    ---
    What are you playing on “When the Lady Sings the Blues”?

That’s the '59 Bassman and the Strat.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/in...ses-his-aptly-titled-new-album-guitar-slinger

Chip, AlbertaGriff and urbandefault like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.