Vince Gill

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by 83siennateleguy, Aug 6, 2018.

1. 83siennateleguy

83siennateleguy Tele-Meister

I read a segment on Vince Gill this morning on line ; you may have read it yourself, talking about various topics.
    One of those topics was Gear.
    Vince claims he never was a pedal guy. The right guitar , a tube amp and a lot of reverb .
    Lol. I tried that same formula many times , Never seemed to sound as good as Vince. Then again , it's Vince.

So how many of you use Vinces formula as far as no pedals ( if that's really the case) . Of course he never came off as a liar to me so maybe that's the case !

Whatever the case Vince, sounds Great !

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  2. Boonie

Boonie TDPRI Member

I like my pedals. However, I often play with nothing but a clean amp straight up. It keeps me honest and accurate.

coloradojeff and McGlamRock like this.
  3. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

I've had hundreds of pedals through the years and did use some of them,off and on..
    But most of the time it was just guitar and amp..That's how I started, before there was pedals..
    And I was never a Vince Gill..lol

4. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Vince sure has the "secret" of great tone dead to rights, but the post above left three things out. The great tone is single coil tone, sometimes from a Stratocaster and sometimes from a Telecaster. The other indispensable part of the tone is playing with a very personal finger style. The part of the post that right as rain is "it's Vince". I've got the guitars and I've got finger style down pretty well. I'm not Vince and will never come close to his amazing creativity. Unfortunately for me, it takes more than tone.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    BB likes this.
  5. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

Nothing between my Tele and my Super Reverb...'cept a cable. I come to play guitar, not tap-dance.

6. irie

irie Tele-Holic

I don't sound as good a Vince either so take this with a grain of salt, but I don't really ever use pedals unless I need a specific sound or I want a really overdriven tone at low volume.

That being said, I think if you are stuck using backline rigs all the time, pedals are really useful for ensuring you can get the sounds you need when you don't have total control of your rig.

I would imagine Vince has total control of his rig... meaning there is a lot less of an issue when it comes to getting his tone straight from his amp than your average musician. I cant see many sound engineers bitching about his tech bringing his own amp to a gig and winding it up right to its sweet spot compared to the goons at the local jam night...

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Well, there's a narrow field of that working for me, but when it does it is good for sure. a BFD or BFDR in the right room doesnt need much else. But you could be too loud or not loud enough....

8. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

Vince is great but my idol is Nels Cline so i gotta have lots of pedals. :lol::lol::D:D:):)

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Believe it or not, Keith Richards said the EXACT same thing 25-30 years ago in an interview I read. (must have been Guitar Player or Vintage Guitar...those were the only guitar mags I would have read) He was asked his secret to great tone, and he replied the right guitar into the right amp. Maybe Vince read the same interview. Anyway....it was true then....still true now.

Owenmoney and JustABluesGuy like this.
  10. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

there's good info on his set up out there

Boss compressor is one important element

11. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Depends on when the interview was done. Typically doesn't sound like a "lot of reverb" to me.

More like a little delay and some compression. Both studio and live. Also some slight overdrive now and then.

But, I'm sure at some point he's plugged straight into an amp like we all have.

JayFreddy likes this.
  12. 83siennateleguy

I read the story this morning on line. He talked about that plus being with the Eagles and such. Very recent !

13. Revelation

Revelation Tele-Meister

If all you play is a clean Tele sound then yes there is nothing like a Fender Twin or Deluxe to get you that clean sound with lots of headroom. Besides a little slap back, and or reverb, your good.

But if you need a little overdrive you will need a pedal or two unless you use a Blues Jr or Deville.

robinsong and JustABluesGuy like this.
  14. 83siennateleguy

Google Vince Gill and scroll . It's an article from Rolling Stone Magazine that was posted on line this morning around 10 am. EST.

He said a little reverb. I stand corrected!

15. scooter

scooter TDPRI Member

EH Holy Grail Nano for reverb, Demeter Fat Boost (mid boost) that I leave on all the time, and an ABY box if I'm running 2 amps (and I usually do). Or straight into a Deluxe Reverb on a big gig (that's a tuner pedal on top of the amp). IMG_2696.JPG IMG_3501.JPG

baiff and nojazzhere like this.
  16. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

I have a few pedals, but prefer to use as few as possible. I generally practice without them.

They are useful tools when used sparingly, and thoughtfully, but I no longer “rely” on them to hide the flaws in my playing as I once (ineffectively) did.

17. Cazualwhiteguy

Cazualwhiteguy Tele-Meister

99.9% of the time it’s guitar to amp, reverb isn’t even a must but can be nice.

18. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

I haven’t used pedals since the mid 80’s, I have a few in a box somewhere.

mc84 likes this.
  19. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

In '77 I was running a Les Paul into a '66 Gibson GA-55RVT Ranger amp, 50 watts via two 6L6s, into four 10" speakers. I used the onboard reverb. In 1978 I added an Echoplex. I had to dime the amp, y-cord the channels, and add a boost, but it was fantastic.

At the same time, I knew it was so darned loud I would only be able to use it in large venue concerts. I traded the Ranger for a master volume amp in 1979 and hadn't really been happy with my live sound until I went to modeling. In that chain I am still mostly guitar to amp with reverb and echo.

Bob

20. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

If I want to go direct I play acoustic. There’s nothing pure once you plug in. Go for every sound you can get!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.