Viking Funeral or Wall Hanging?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Sparky2, Feb 8, 2019.

Burn or hang it up?

1. Viking Funeral

30 vote(s)
    56.6%
  2. Wall Hanging

23 vote(s)
    43.4%
  1. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

One day a family member may take interest in it or some desrerving kid.
    I had a 1973 Epiphone 12 string and backed some very serious singers with it. Mine was MIJ.
    Notice the E for Epiphone is NOT embossed on the pickguard but inbedded- that's how you tell the old ones IMHO.

boredguy6060 likes this.
  2. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Viking Funeral if that will set YOU free. If not, hang it if that will put a lift in your feet each time you see it.

Only you can determine the way to go.

3. RegularJim

RegularJim TDPRI Member

It's not exactly the same, but I inherited my father's old acoustic. For a long time it just sat there. It wasn't exactly playable and I didn't have the funds or know-how to make it work. And I wasn't even sure I wanted to do anything with with. Like the rest of my family, it had seen some good times and bad times. I debated on whether to sell it, give it away, toss it, hang it, etc.

In the past couple of years I had a renewed interest in all things "guitar" and I also had a few extra dollars, so I bit the bullet and had it restored. I know you're not supposed to restore old guitars, but sometimes you have to. It cost me a little more money than I would have liked, but now I have a reminder of all the times (good and bad). It was the first guitar I ever played as a child, but was only allowed to touch it once in a while. Now it's mine. And it's good as new.

I'm not exactly a sentimental sort of fellow, but I bought a customized truss rod cover with my father's name on it to remind me of its humble past, and mine.

I recommend this path if it's something you can manage.

Good luck!

william tele and Tonetele like this.
  4. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

If looking at it brings up bad memories, and the guitar isn’t playable, then I vote for Viking funeral.

Let that **** go.

LocoTex and tery like this.
  5. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

WOW! What an interesting read
    If it were me, I’d hang it on the wall. To me there’s too much history to get rid of it. YMMV

Tonetele likes this.
  6. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

1 match and some gasoline

tery likes this.
  7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

8. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think they made Epiphones in Korea in 1975, it's Japanese and not worthless.

But do this: buy a 1950s Les Paul. You'll have painful memories because of the price you paid for it. Then burn the Les Paul.

9. BobbyJames

BobbyJames Tele-Meister

Enjoyed reading, seems like the guitar has been a great companion over the years. I went for the wall hanging, simply because I still think it looks nice and if hung right could be quite a tasteful addition to the right room! Plus, you never know if you'll regret burning it, and hanging it up means it could be played again some time in the future!

10. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I thank all of your for your input, advice, and thoughtful sentiments.

It looks like the vote is tied at 16-16.
    Half of you vote for the Viking Funeral, and half for the wall hanging.

Some of you recommended 'neither', and advised that I repair, restore, or make the guitar usable again.

Ha ha ha, too funny.
    And you are correct, my Epiphone FT-120 was indeed built in Japan, and not Korea. I don't know why I thought it was Korean made.
    My brain isn't what it once was.

Okay, so I made my decision.

I have decided to make the guitar playable, and hang onto it. Hopefully for forever.

I took the guitar apart early this morning, and evaluated what turns out to be a very twisted neck. (I guess my dear old departed Dad did indeed do a number on it in our final melee.)

I'm going to find another (true, flat, good) neck, bolt it on, and make this old beast into a playable, gig-worthy guitar.

It goes against my credo, "All my guitars have to be bone-stock", but what the heck. It's time to try new things, and apparently, time to hang onto some old things too.

Thanks again, everybody.
    I really appreciate the help.

:)
    Epiphone autopsy.jpg

11. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Brilliant move , I'm sorry this instrument should pertain to such a bad time in your life , but by giving it a new life it too can move on.

if you go to a local music store check out an Epi SG 300 with a bolt on neck see if they are the same size , (take measurments) if they are or close you should be able to pick up a used or body damaged one for about less than 100.00 and the neck may fit or be made to fit , just a suggestion ( you may loose the first 2 frets)

SGSPCVE5.jpg

12. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

13. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

It looks like I am late for this party but you have a perfect solution.

Great idea. From your OP (and in hindsight), it looks like the neck was the source of both the problem of intonation and the bad memories .

Now, as far as the old neck, I say Viking funeral.

teletimetx likes this.
  14. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

That is a tough decision for sure. IMO, you've got it right. Seems like it's the old neck that has the bad joss. Burn that! ^^^guess I'm not the only one with that thought...(well, maybe salvage the tuners if there's anything useful there).

I'm glad you put up that 2nd picture. Looks like there's some good spruce in that top. Still plenty of life in that.

Last time I was visiting Neil Sargent, here in Houston - fairly well know tech, luthier, etc., he was showing me an article in the Luthier trade mag about a guy who built a sort of cover for the bottom of the sides of his guitar - where the pin for the strap goes and/or the strap jack for such guitars. It was a "window" large enough to be able to get at the braces under the top and re-build/re-shave them, so that he was able to take a ho-hum guitar and turn it into something pretty amazing. Sounded like a pretty cool adventure.

Anyhow, seems like you are headed out on your own. Happy trails, dude!

ps: I know how tough this sh** can be as I have a guitar all intertwined with a bad marriage (33 years!), but with good kids resulting. It's a pretty fine guitar, too, but bittersweet.

william tele likes this.
  15. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

This is my first electric that mom got me for Christmas 1978. I replaced its pickups and bridge over the years D549BE3A-35EC-493A-A78E-DE3AEA272CE9.jpeg , and finally hunted down original pickups to make her as she was new again. Over the years, for almost 25 of those years she had intonation and playability issues. I finally upped and sent her to a luthier who made her a dream to play again, refretting her , setting her up. I finally found a replacement chipboard case too. I play her every Sunday for church worship. D549BE3A-35EC-493A-A78E-DE3AEA272CE9.jpeg

Dan R, william tele and tery like this.
  16. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Great story, great guitar!!

By coincidence, I saw that same guitar in a pawn shop today!!

:)

17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Just shut the case, and put it in the closet out of sight. Put off doing anything, maybe the problem will just go away.

18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I would prefer that I would be "bone" stock too, but I can get around a lot better with an artificial hip. Sometimes practicality exceeds sentiment.

william tele likes this.
  19. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Some years ago my first guitar took some bad damage and I didn't want to play it any more. I'd had it 30 years, and it was still playable, but I gave it away.

I don't really pine over it or anything, but it was my first guitar, and even now there are times I wish I'd kept it. I think you should keep yours. If you don't, don't burn it. Someone will appreciate having it.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  20. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Give it to Goodwill. I did that with an old semi acoustic I was given at around 13 for Christmas, my first electric, that just wasn't playable anymore - or more accurately, just wasn't worth the effort to me, having a few nice guitars, and preferring Teles. Kept it around for decades, then one day last year while trying to thin down my "stuff" just decided to take it to Goodwill. Hoping some kid gets it for nothing and has some fun working on it.

HiLoGuitar.JPG

BTW what took some "sting" off giving that away was that I still have an early 70's Korean acoustic my folks also gave me when I was about 17, which is what I really learned to play on. 5 or so years ago I put a new bone nut and saddle on (the old plastic ones were falling apart) and it still plays great. Also has a nice V neck, like the old Martins.

Franciscan72.jpg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.