Viking Funeral or Wall Hanging?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Sparky2, Feb 8, 2019.

Burn or hang it up?

1. Viking Funeral

30 vote(s)
    56.6%
  2. Wall Hanging

23 vote(s)
    43.4%
  1. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

u had me at "ex-wife" ... VIKING FUNERAL!!

SandyMays likes this.
  2. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Don't burn it, you'll probably regret that some day. I regret selling my first guitar even though it was a $100 piece of junk.

3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Turn it into a hood ornament for you car.
    It could get you a name around town and possibly lead to more gigs.

Warning- you might be expected to bedazzle and Rhinestone your entire wardrobe and wear a ten gallon hat for the rest of your days.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  4. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Meister

My daughter's first guitar that I bought her, a $99 Johnson acoustic; had the bridge pull up. I didn't have the heart to pitch it. So we both did a 'Day of the Dead' theme project together.

5. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Write down all your bad memories associated with the guitar...

Burn that piece of paper(s). Make a little ritual of it.

Hang the guitar on the wall.

If looking at the guitar still brings the memories back...

Burn it.

John Owen likes this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Repair the damages that happened at the down times. Leave the scars from the good times. Hang it on the wall in a shadow-box-frame (so you don't have to dust it).

I like that list of places it's been. Maybe a map on the back of the shadow box behind the neck with pins marked where it was with little flags for the year. Different color pins for gigs it played. Small trinkets you collected over those trips on the bottom of the shadow box.

7. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I say Viking funeral for lots of reasons (which would probably make me sound like an arsonist or something) but there's a certain amount of closure involved there.

8. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

Coin toss.
    Abide by the results and move forward accordingly.

9. esetter

esetter Friend of Leo's

FE896231-942D-4342-AE4B-7B06D4AE85EE.gif

BURN IT!!

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Boy, IDK what you should do but I've let go of a lotta stuff and need to let go of even more. I've filled a few dumpsters because I inherited my Mothers stuff and she had inherited her parents collective stuff.
    I've concluded that I need almost no stuff for good memories, and unless the stuff really makes me happy or enhances my life it should move on.
    Sadly though I'm not good at that process.
    I did find my first guitar in the old shed that was falling down, a Zim Gar.
    Right into the dumpster.
    Kept my surfbopard from the '60s, a nice 8 1/2 foot Bing pintail.
    Oughtta sell that, a nice board and worth some money, but it's up in the new garage.

Actually having a fire sounds kinda nice and comforting.
    The ashes remain, the departure is symbolic and reverent, and the durn stuff no longer haunts.

11. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'd have to take a shot at making it unkillable...even if it meant doing a hippie neck reset/bolt neck and working the the saddle. I'd consider the $25 for a JLD Bridge doctor as well....

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

OK so I voted Viking funeral which broke the tie in favor of burning the relic.
    It was tied at 13 to 13....

13. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

leave it in the case for a few more years and see how you feel then.

14. SandyMays

SandyMays TDPRI Member

If you believe there might be some bad mojo in that guitar your best off letting it go and moving on. You don't need a guitar hanging on a wall that will never get played to give you a memory of a certain time or place. Let it go and say goodbye and you might be surprised after its gone there might be a weight that has been lifted.

15. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The way you describe it, good & bad, there's no way I could destroy it. I'd never forgive myself.

I have stuff that has some painful memories attached to it too. The good memories are the ones I think about more often when looking at it. Hell, 1 of the guitars I still own was purchased with my then GF's CC because my bank decided to cancel my card without telling me (new chip card). When you see a deal the deal doesn't wait, right? I paid her back immediately, but when I think of that ex I think of sitting in jail, being cheated on, manipulation, deception, violent physical abuse.... & that was a good day! The guitar is a better object on this planet than she is.

16. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, but with it will go the good memories too. I couldn't have an instrument by my side for that long in my life only to destroy it. I bet she’s offered you much comfort over the years. Keep her, under the bed if necessary. If you’re down, take her out and feel that comfort once more. Think of the bad times, they sound to be really, really bad times. Then look at whatever is making you down at tge moment, it’ll help you to get stuff into perspective, can you honestly say you’ve got as big an issue in your life now as you had then? Then, play her a little, let her lift you as she once did. Then, put her away with a ‘thank you’, for the next time.

17. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Sorry, repeat post

18. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Hang it on the wall, then give it a Viking funeral. Don't forget to make sure the house insurance is up to date...

19. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You don't need anything bringing bad vibes and unpleasant memories into your life. Send it off to Valhalla.

LocoTex and tery like this.
  20. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The way you describe it, good & bad, there's no way I could destroy it. I'd never forgive myself.

I have stuff that has some painful memories attached to it too. The good memories are the ones I think about more often when looking at it. Hell, 1 of the guitars I still own was purchased with my then GF's CC because my bank decided to cancel my card without telling me (new chip card). When you see a deal the deal doesn't wait, right? I paid her back immediately, but when I think of that ex I think of sitting in jail, being cheated on, manipulation, deception, violent physical abuse.... & that was a good day! The guitar is a better object on this planet than she is.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.