Burn or hang it up?

• Viking Funeral

Votes: 30 56.6%
  • Wall Hanging

Votes: 23 43.4%

• Total voters

Sparky2

Poster Extraordinaire
This may strike you as too deeply personal, but I trust you and value your opinion, so here goes;

I still own the very first guitar I bought with my own high school job money.
It's a 1975 Epiphone FT-120 acoustic.
Made in Korea, inexpensive, and a beginner's guitar.

I have owned it and taken it around the world many times.
And I'm not kidding about that.
It's been around the world, many times.

It's battle scarred, and in fact, has scars and a jacked-up neck from its first year in my possession.

(It suffers an intonation problem from the last time my father ever scrapped with me, right before he hauled-ass and left us and our mom, in 1976.)

The guitar only works properly with nylon strings, and only when playing the basic cowboy chords. The original Epiphone case is tired and has mover's inventory stickers on it, from a variety of moves from here to there in the military.

The thing is, I never really play the guitar anymore.
It's a keepsake, a memento.

To open the case is to invite a flood of bad memories, from my Dad's absurd antics and abuse back then, to the years I spent with my first wife, an ugly divorce, and too many years of dead-end noodling on guitars with no appreciable improvement in my guitar playing.

It's also an invitation to pleasant memories of me playing that guitar with my teenage garage band-mates, taking it to the beach when I turned 18 with those same band-mates, and the times that I figured out minor chords on songs like Third Rate Romance, and Pink Floyd's Brick In The Wall. And the years that followed, wherein I figured out how to become a better musician, and to form a band, and to perform good live music for appreciative audiences.

My heart, nowadays as I prepare for the Autumn days of my life, tells me to either give the old Epiphone a proper Viking funeral, and burn her to ashes,
or,
find an appropriate place in the house, and hang her up for posterity.

I'm torn, and I'm asking your advice.
I can't sell the guitar, it's not worth anything, and it doesn't play very nicely at all.
I don't want to just give it to the local drug-rehab center (as I have done with guitars before), because it's more jacked-up than most of the addicts in there already are.

Hanging it up is problematic since she's so ugly.
I just photographed her, (see below) and she photographs like a ghost or spirit, no matter what I do.

So, what do you think I should do with her?

:(

the epiphone.jpg

Last edited:

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I had one too back in the 70's and sold it years ago. I just happened to run across this one at a local thrift store last year and snagged it. Unfortunately, it had a collapsed neck and, due to the bad warping in the back of the body, it isn't easily fixable (I've tried the fixes for this I found online). I'm probably going to use the neck in a mutant cigar box project and use the body for decoration. At least I got another acoustic case.

38718365335_084ac18796_o.png

mfguitar

Friend of Leo's
But if you need to move the guitar to help with the bad memories then do it. If your heart can mend while hanging on to it then that could be the better choice. I like the idea of a show case maybe with pictures of your travels, if you don't have pictures then maybe handwritten notes, without the memories and stories its a hunk of wood and a poor one at that,

toomuchfun

Tele-Afflicted
The case looks like it has a good handle. Take it with you and get some professional psychiatric help.

If it’s too ugly to display, too painful to look at on some days and an old friend on others it has more power over you than it should.

Bassman8

Tele-Afflicted
It doesn't look ugly to me. Maybe not fancy or gorgeous but not ugly either. Don't get rid of it, let the good memories live! I would hang it up but not somewhere where I'd have to see it constantly. I have a 70's Harmony electric with some mixed memories and I keep it in a corner of my man cave...basically there to see if I want but out of the way the rest of the time. Best of luck with your decision.

stratoman1

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I'd say hang it on the wall somewhere. If it's had that much life experience with you it probably feel weird not having it somewhere

stephent2

Poster Extraordinaire
Wall. With all those memories I'd keep it around, but it depends on how you feel about the past.

One thing you can to to make a guitar w/ horrible action playable is capo that puppy on the 4th fret.

BryMelvin

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
FWIW I have restored my similar 12 string epi from that area. I have disassembled the neck block and bracing.Unless the neck itself is bad. The block it bolts to shifts on these and it doesn't work right. OTOH intonation was not good on these to begin with and i fixed that by hand made saddle. Remove the original adjustable and start with a thick tusq blank.

The neck can be shimmed for proper neck angle.
A bridge doctor works well in these too.

I am assuming this is one of the bolt on neck ones.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I have a 70 's battle worn gibson SG I bought at a pawn shop for 100.00 , sold it 3 times bought it back , it toured Canada with me ,and I pawned it for 50.00 to take my now wife out for a date for her birthday that was 42 years ago (we've been married now for 35 years this fall ),
get it fixed at your leisure bring it back to playable this is your life and your memories , the bad stuff was not your guitars fault. and I bet if it were playable again it could be a gift to pass on to some one who could use it.

P1011365.JPG

sorry I could not vote for your options!

adjason

Poster Extraordinaire
Might want to see if you can get it fixed up and playable again...if its too far gone I say viking funeral. I don;t see the reason in having a wall hanging