1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Video: to twang or not to twang?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Bobchill, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Bobchill

Bobchill TDPRI Member

Hello, with this short video I try to debunk the myth that surrounds the word "TWANG" while trying to shed some light on some lesser known and celebrated aspects of the "pure Telecaster tone"...
    with the kind assistance of a superb vintage original Fender Telecaster from 1960.
    Please let me know your opinions, thoughts and comments.

Dukex likes this.
  2. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

Sturgill Simpson demonstrates Twang

Dukex likes this.
  3. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

He Knew a thing or 2 about twang...with gretsches and guids

Dukex likes this.
  4. Bobchill

Bobchill TDPRI Member

Thank you Posttoastie, I think that is exactly the kind of tone "on the side of twang" that I was trying to point out in my video, as opposed to a more beefy tone with more sustain.
    Of course I'm not trying to address the idea that one "side" is necessarily better than the other.
    By the way, the drummer is really brilliant, I wish I could play with a drummer like him!

posttoastie likes this.
  5. Bobchill

Bobchill TDPRI Member

...Demostrating that "Twang" is not exclusive to the Telly.

Wulf likes this.
  6. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

my point exactly...my 3/4 nylon flamenco monster twangs too...its what you do with the tools you got...can only row with the oars you got ..and all that...got a tele..its twangy like a riccy330 though not like a trad tele..(done my own oddball mods and got there by fluke...i miss my 330)...great through a vox amp...
    i like my HS filtertron powered offset monster bodgecaster (currently in bits for a wiring change round ) for twang..does it without the icepick you often get with twang...lots of verb and a slow vibrato gets that good old Duane Eddy Twang

wabashslim and Bobchill like this.
  7. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

Dukex, Bobchill and Wulf like this.
  8. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

In my mind twang has to do with minimal overdrive and brand new strings.

It's not necessarily the bridge pickup either...you can get good neck humbucker twang with a Fender amp, bass & treble up, mids down, and that Duane Eddy - Al Caiola reverb & trem...and a Bigsby.

Bobchill and Wulf like this.
  9. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

both HS filters on is twangoparadise...esp with judicious use of rev vibrato/tremolo...(plate reverb and amp reverb combined) ...and the vital final ingredient?...the "handbrake" 20121017_155513.jpg even those HB
    P90s TWANG...with a vengeance...no matter what amp you use...that is a twangy rockabilly/psychobilly monster...but also hugely versatile...it can do most anything i push it to do....soft jazz...then a tweak of the vol and your teeth are gone...hot amp and ride those pots

thats it ...vols dialed back a bit...(different guitar in vid...looked better for vid)

thats it too...overdriven to an inch of its life
    the bass is the twang there...all straight into a 1978 carlbro super stingray

our christmas song...all on same guitar..sheraton better for filming...Wulfs vocal on it

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Dukex likes this.
  10. Bobchill

Bobchill TDPRI Member

I agree wabashslim, as I mention in the video, it's a concoction of factors, as with ever guitar tone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.