1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Victoria vs Fender

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tshoe71, Mar 5, 2021.

1. tshoe71

tshoe71 TDPRI Member

For 3 Fender amps that I’m considering, 59 Bassman, 57 Twin and 57 Deluxe...Victoria amps make a corresponding model of the same circuit and for the most part an equal price assuming new.

I know the 59 Bassman is not handwired like the 57’s, but my question is, do I get measurably more quality in components/craftsmanship/value for my dollar by going with the Victoria instead of the Fender?

I’ve read quite a bit of prior commentary on the merits of each circuit but for a given circuit, if you were buying which way would you go? I’m aware that sonically there will be differences, I’m more interested in do I get more for my money by going one way or the other.

Thank you!

-shoe

Jared Purdy likes this.
  2. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Maguchi, keng, Jim W and 1 other person like this.
  3. Tall-Fir

Tall-Fir Tele-Meister

One cannot get a “better” tweed type amp than those produced by Victoria. Top notch workmanship IMHO. As good as Fender or any of the other brands for sure.

I’ve had many different amps just like many others who like experimenting with their guitar tone. The only two items that I truly regret selling were the Victoria Reverberato and a Victoria 3X10 Bandmaster. Just top notch stuff.

I have not compared Victoria prices to Fender prices.

Maguchi, moosie, fretknot and 4 others like this.
  4. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I think you will find some better components generally. Enough for the price difference? It depends on the model I suppose. handwiring would be one thing. Jacks? Maybe.

Maguchi likes this.
  5. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I pretty well know where this is going to go. I have a 57' Custom Deluxe. I had the chance to buy the Victoria. The store I bought mine carries both, and had both the day I went in to audition. Call me a sucker for nostalgia. The Fender is well made, good components, Mercury PT and OT, good caps, easily serviceable by a Fender warrantied business, etc. They both use solid pine cabs.

Fender contracted Eminence to make them a speaker, presumably to the same specs as the original Jensen. It sounds like a dream. The only thing I might consider doing, which is what I would consider doing if I bought the Victoria, is to try out this speaker:

http://www.tweeddeluxe.com/speakers_a12q_alnico.cfm

I'm very tempted, even though I may be throwing a couple hundred bucks out the window.

The Victoria is a very well made amp by a relatively small boutique company. I don't think you'd go wrong with either. The Fender will resell at a higher price should you be concerned about that. I'll be looking forward to other's replies.

scelestus, tshoe71 and EsquireBoy like this.
  6. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Victoria

Maguchi likes this.
  7. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

You kinda get more monetary value having a fender badge on it as far as resale goes.

8. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Never owned a Fender reissue or newer handwired, but do have experience with 2 Victoria models. One, the 35210 Super, I wish I still had... I currently have a 5E9 Trem 'd la Trem that is outstanding as well. A drummer-type I play with said the Victorias sound piano-like. (was a compliment)
    For my money, sound, reliability, accessibility to Mark Baier, I highly recommend Victoria.

Here's the 35210 I let go:
    [​IMG]

And here's the Tremolux-type:

[​IMG]

elihu, Cali Dude and tshoe71 like this.
  9. tshoe71

tshoe71 TDPRI Member

I appreciate the comments!

Primarily my thought was perhaps big company vs small company, I would get substantially better component and workmanship from the small instead of the larger even thought the prices for a given circuit were roughly the same. From what I’ve read that thought hasn’t proven to be accurate. One point I had not considered was resale value at a later date. Definitely a positive for the Fenders.

10. tshoe71

tshoe71 TDPRI Member

I can see why you wish you did still have it.

11. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

The sound it made was really pretty. A very clean amp that took a lot to get to saturation with single coils, but I'd say it's one of the best-sounding amps I've owned.

12. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

In order to make an accurate statement on the difference in actual parts, someone with deep, unbiased expertise would need to chime in. Starting with cabs, they appear to be equal, as is the tweed covering. Speakers, while different, I'd say are equal too. Chassis, same, PT and OT, also equal, while different. And this is where things might get different: all of those caps and resistors. Fender is using their own "Pure Vintage Yellow Capacitors". I'd be the first to admit that's marketing speak, even though it may actually mean something real, and good.

13. tshoe71

tshoe71 TDPRI Member

Right! The small company I believe is more open regarding the pieces they use, but is the large company doing the same in their’s?

I have every reason to believe/hope they are but they are a much larger corporate enterprise so that’s why I ask. If they are comparable quality for price then great. But if large company is pocketing substantially more for less product, then to the extent I can know that, I want to on a big purchase.

14. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

If it's the Bassman? The Victoria wins, probably on all counts. Hand-wired, probably a little better components, etc. I would wager a Victoria 5f6-a is gonna go, used, for a good bit more. The PCB Reissues are a dime a dozen and can be had for very reasonable dollars. But, it has always been built to a price point.

That said, I bought a used Fender Ri (and eventually re-wired it myself). It's always sounded great and been reliable.

It would be a more difficult decision on just about any other of tweed models they both offer.

I will say I own a Cox Ultimate 5e3 and it's one of the best 5e3's I've ever heard. I get nothing but gushing compliments by other guitar players when they hear it, let alone if they get a chance to play through it, at volume. It was one of the best trades I ever made! I have almost no interest in obtaining a vintage version, and absolutely zero interest in looking at a modern Fender, or Victoria. So, other boutique builders shouldn't be pushed off the debate list, when it's time to get out the wallet.

Torren61 and Fiesta Red like this.
  15. randym

randym Tele-Meister

I'm not sure that Victoria don't hold resale value comparable to used Fenders.

Maguchi, Hibernian, cnlbb and 3 others like this.
  16. tshoe71

tshoe71 TDPRI Member

Yes I figured on the Bassman, the decision would be easier. Good lord I got to asking myself...”what’s this tweed sound all about” and clearly the rabbit hole of that topic is way bigger than I realized! The 5E3 feels like what I want tonally. Some clean but some awesome breakup/dirty, more midrangey... the tones I’ve heard from those connect with me dare I say more than the BF/SF.

17. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Took me 20 some odd years of playing to come around to truly discovering the tweed sounds. But, the first time I plugged into my Bassman, I heard the tones I'd been hearing in my head, and chasing, for years! I don't own anything that's BF/SF any more.

Cali Dude and Fiesta Red like this.
  18. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Victoria Champ model years ago. It was underwhelming. It had a noise issue. I contacted Victoria via e-mail and never received a response.
    They are nothing to write home about.

19. tshoe71

tshoe71 TDPRI Member

Being a blues fan I always thought I’d only want the clean sound of BB King. But I’m finding the tone I really want is the more bluesy/midrangey/greasy? sound of the old delta blues slide players. And that sound I hear in SRV, Clapton and some of the modern players. Hard to explain but just something more emotive and pure without pedals. just guitar, cable, simple amp and bring it!

it’s kinda hard to instead of going big, go smaller in watts, but I think somewhere in the smaller tweeds is what I’m really after.

Cali Dude likes this.
  20. tshoe71

tshoe71 TDPRI Member

Appreciate your comment. Always good to hear negative as well as positives.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.