Victoria Double Deluxe

eggman

Friend of Leo's
Howdy,

Keith Richards disciple here, currently gittin' his Ya-Ya's out with a Dr. Z Carmen Ghia, which is conservatively rated at 18 watts. I'm after tweed tones without needing an attenuator, yet require more volume/ headroom than offered by a 5e3. I prefer 12-inch speakers. Please chime in about the DD. Thanks.

Last edited:

JKjr

Tele-Holic
Buy it

There was a guy playing at the food truck rodeo downtown in a big open square. Tele and a DD and it caught my attention from the other side of the square. Playing blues and sounding killer. Full and raunchy like a DeLuxe but cutting and detailed like maybe a tweed twin?
I have an old Ghia and with a 2x12 cab it's probably 2/3 the volume this guy was using? I have a 12" Celestion Blue or a Red Fang in my 5e3 clone, and even running 6l6's it's not as loud as the Ghia.
If you like the sound of 6v6 tubes this is your gig. It didn't strike me as just a louder 5e3. It had lots more detail and depth, probably due to the extra tubes. I liked it so much I stayed for their whole set then ran home and googled it. If I could only have one amp this might be it. Keef in a box, and at the right volume level.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Supro Supreme...if you can find one..it hits that knarly early Keith stuff..Like his Oahu he used.
You can swap in alnico if you want more grind..imho

Caveat.. I saw your item about headroom..not sure about how much you need..
perhaps with a cream alnico..

Victorias are stupendenous products..as are Red plates and Goodsells..for more on tap

Last edited:

whoanelly15

Tele-Afflicted
I put together a Double 5e3 build with nearly identical specs to the Victoria for my first real amp (cost me less than half of a new Victoria). Rated at ~35 watts. Realized pretty quickly that it was way more headroom than I could use as a home noodler who only occasionally played with a drummer and another guitarist. It sounded great when I did with a Teke, tho, that’s for sure.

Was fine as a clean platform to drive with pedals at a more reasonable basement volume, but I could do that with much more basic, lighter-weight setup. So for me, it wasn’t worth keeping to not use it the way it wants to be used. Your needs may be quite different.