1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vibrolux Reverb, Pro Reverb or Twin Reverb for this situation.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by gnd567, Jan 24, 2021.

1. gnd567

gnd567 Tele-Meister

I sing and play lead guitar in a four piece and we play a lot of rockabilly, rock & roll, surf instrumentals, some Bakersfield type stuff and some swing. I use a several guitars (Tele, 6120, Jaguar and a Mosrite copy) with a reissue Fender reverb unit and old WEM Copicat and my amp is a non-master volume silverface Twin Reverb.

The amp sounds amazing for the surf instrumentals and Bakersfield stuff but in order to get a thick enough tone on the bridge pickup for the rockabilly, rock & roll and bluesy stuff, the amp has to be turned up to around six and I have to boost the preamp on the Copicat. As you can imagine, at this point it's VERY LOUD and bright. I find myself living on the neck pickup way more than I'd like to because I don't want to kill anybody with the amp.

I really love the sound of the amp when I push it lie that but it's just too loud. I'd like to get that tone at a lower volume without resorting to using a OD pedal. I like the way the amp stays clean until I dig in to it but I don't like how loud it has to be or how ice-picky the bridge position can sound.

Our drummer plays a cocktail kit and stands up while playing and this means his cymbals and snare drum are closer to ear level than a normal drum kit and our guitarist plays a clean Twin Reverb and so I need something that will be loud enough to keep up with them and will allow me to get the same type of playing response I'm getting with the Twin without being way too loud.

I don't think a Deluxe Reverb would be enough but I think a Super Reverb might be too much? Would a Vibrolux Reverb or old Pro Reverb do the trick. I've hear Pro Reverbs are a little mellower and maybe that would be the right amp for my bright single coil pickup guitars?

Old Plank likes this.
  2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

A Super Reverb is MUCH less amp than a Twin and the 4x10 is the best room-filler ever.
    Especially handy if you don't mike.
    You can stand 8' in front of the amp and hear what the house is hearing because it's not beamy.
    If you do mic, mics love 10s.
    They are CHEAP right now.
    I think they're best club amp hands down, with the possible exception of a tweed Bassman, which will cost you 6 or 7x more.
    I don't think a Super is more amp than even a 40watt Pro Reverb.
    There's something about the Super that's just more gig friendly to me.
    And they're really comfy to sit on ;)

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’d vote for the Twin first, and the Pro for runner-up.
    Both sound great.
    I find a powerful amp is more “EQ-able”.
    The good news is that they’re (still) common, relatively inexpensive, and utterly road-worthy with fresh tubes and filter caps.
    I’ve owned at least 10 Twins, and 3 Pros.
    Every one was a great workhorse.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    Old Plank and Telecastoff1 like this.
  4. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

My main amp is a SF Twin. That's the amp all others have to measure up to. The efficacy of the amps you've listed depend on the speakers in them and their condition. I've done very loud gigs with a new DRRI, and I've seen Vibrolux amps fail to keep up with a moderately loud drummer, in the hands of a pretty famous player. I suspect the Vibrolux had "vintage" speakers
    I have a stable of amps for my gigs (where I need to supply an amp) and it's about 50 amps that I rotate. I could live with three of them: an old Princeton Reverb with a 12" Swamp Thang, a Music Man 50 watter, and the Twin.
    That Music man slaughters a Vibrolux. If I had a Vibrolux (I wish), I'd put a couple of loud! speakers in it.

There's not a great universal answer to "Loud and clean when I need it, natural tube Bluesy overdrive from same amp at a lower volume." I knew a guy in Portland with a SF Pro Reverb. It was about as loud as a Twin. You could coax dirt out of it sooner, but still at a very loud volume. It's a real dilemma.

If I had to do your gig the way you do it, I'd honestly decide between bringing two amps (which I've done a lot), or finding a righteous overdrive pedal. When I bring two amps, I use one at a time. One for loud and clear, one for "authentic vintage tone".

Old Plank likes this.
  5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Well, I did exactly this same kind of thing (the music) for years.
    Explain:

First, with a '68 Deluxe Reverb ( which I had to sell) and later, by blonde Blues Jr. ( which I still use today)

Both amps pro-maintained to be 'big and clean' :

- the DR with JJ 6V6's and a 120 watt Eminence Red, White, and Blues speaker

- the BJ with JJ El-84's and a 120 watt Eminence Lil' Texas Neo speaker

Now with either amp, I've always used a Boss DD-3 Delay, set for Slapback as needed
    AND yes an OD pedal ON for just about everything ( at low Gain) except the Classic Country. But ON for surf, Rockabilly, jump blues, R&R

- with the DR I used a Vox Valvetone ( a TS variant) ot a TS-9

- with the Blues Jr., it's still a Blues Driver- it's just a great fit for this amp

* I'm just listing all this BS , just to point out that a 22watt DR ( mine actually measured 20), and my 15 watt BJ ( both loud and often playing with a steel player) were plenty for me to do bar gigs playing this great music

Old Plank and surf_jimi like this.
  6. gnd567

gnd567 Tele-Meister

I don't really have the room to bring two amps with me. I tried that for a while and I like it but it was too much. Maybe I just need to suck it up and find a good overdrive pedal that I actually jive with. I have thought about a Super Reverb but I've heard they're harder to move around than a Twin is.

7. gnd567

gnd567 Tele-Meister

My only concerns with a Super Reverb are
    1. Transport: I've heard they're more awkward to carry around than a Twin and I'm visually impaired but usually still carry my own gear.
    2. Are they brighter than Twins?

8. Frank Roberts

Frank Roberts Tele-Meister

“I'd like to get that tone at a lower volume without resorting to using a OD pedal.“

Why not? There are many good ones out there. SRV used one through a Fender blackface (Vibroverb?).

jman72 likes this.
  9. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Super Reverb same volume as Pro Reverb. My band mate in 1980,81 had a Blackface SR, one of the best sounding amps I ever heard. He was 6'2", 245#, so he moved it pretty easily. The reissue is 65#, so about the same as the TRRI.
    Used to see Bruce Conte at I think the Hilton with a lounge band using his BF Super Reverb. He's not a very big guy, so, maybe not so clumsy to move when you get used to it.

10. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

A Vibrolux should be enough, use the hotter input. If that band is really that loud, you can re-speaker and peel paint. I saw a guy blowing away a 12 piece horn section with a Deluxe Reverb. I had to tell him to turn it down and I was off to the side. Not sure what he had in there, but it was a mighty mite, 1000+ folks in this massive hall, 22 watts...

That said, I sometimes use a Twin in small club situations. I've got pedals rigged to work with it.

11. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I think you're on the right track with a 2x 6L6 Fender. It'll be pretty similar to the twin, but a bit less powerful (just what you want).

A vibrolux (with old speakers) is loud, but not as loud as you might think. I think the transformers are smaller than on a pro or super, so it compresses a bit more, and those old speakers aren't especially efficient.

A pro, super, or head like a bandmaster should work well.

As an experiment, have you tried pulling two output tubes from the twin and disconnecting one speaker (necessary for impedance matching)? That would give you an idea of what to expect from 2x 6L6 amp.

If you want to try something different, maybe also give an AC30 a go, it could have the volume and thickness you're after.

DADGAD likes this.
  12. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

"I really love the sound of the amp when I push it lie that but it's just too loud. I'd like to get that tone at a lower volume without resorting to using a OD pedal. I like the way the amp stays clean until I dig in to it but I don't like how loud it has to be or how ice-picky the bridge position can sound."

A few suggestions:

1. Turn down the bass and treble and turn up the mids.
    2. Install inefficient speakers in the Twin
    3. Use an attenuator

Ricky D. likes this.
  13. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

First, I'd try a good clean boost like a Timmy or something similar. You can set it to give you the tone you want (i.e. your normal tone), but with just enough gain to overdrive your tubes at a reasonable volume when you dig in.

I've got a Silverface Pro Reverb, and it is still loud as heck. I use it with od pedals, and I can't see getting it to break up very much below ear splitting volume without the pedals.

14. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

TS9 type pedal with the gain all the way off and volume/tone set to where you need them would probably give you what you need, possibly just an EQ pedal, not sure why you don't want to try that (cheap and reversible) at least rather than buying another amp? How are you going to get your surf/bakersfield sounds from the new amp if it's set for the mid boost tone that you need?

Old Plank likes this.
  15. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I think you're best off doing a bit of a pedal quest. I'd also suggest trying things with a lot more gain than you think you need, and using the volume and tone controls on your guitars.

I play Blues. A lot of West Coast style stuff, with a good dose of Chicago, etc. So, I'm looking for an overall dirtier tone than you. But, not even Classic Rock stuff, most of the time. I pl;ay mostly tweed circuits. I use my guitar volumes a lot, picking dynamics, etc and can get that really nice surf tone when I want . Turn down a little more and I get that big fat Charlie Christian kinda Jazz tone... Fat, with a bit of breakup around the edges.

I am currently playing in the loudest band I've ever played in (still struggling with that a little bit). Last Saturday, at practice, I was running my '59 Bassman Reissue at around 5 (11:00) or so on the knob. That's pretty much full volume, after that it mostly just gets dirtier. My fellow guitar player uses a Custom Vibrolux Reverb... We set our volumes based on the drums.

I think next Saturday I'll be bringing my 80 watt tweed Twin to get a little bit more headroom. It still won't really be clean like your sound. I guaranty I'll be using overdrive pedals with it, though! I use them all the time... The current pedal board actually has three dirt pedals, a Lovepedal Valve Reamer, a Keeley Fuzz Head and a Tim.

Don't be afraid of pedals, find some that work for you... I tend towards pedals that handle my knob twiddling and finger dynamics.

I kinda live by the mantra that a big amp with dirt pedals is better than running out of headroom when you need it most.

(Oh, and my Twin weighs 46 lbs because I went with neodymium speakers... They are slightly less efficient than the ceramic speakers I had in before these)

charlie chitlin and BobbyZ like this.
  16. saleake

saleake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I traded my Super Reverb for a Tone Master Deluxe. It was the best acquisition I made last year. I play mostly country in an eight piece band and the Deluxe is plenty loud. My back is much better too.

39martind18 likes this.
  17. tonejam

tonejam Tele-Holic

You like the Twin.

Don't change amps.

Get a good attenuator.

Problem solved.

Ricky D. and Wobbles like this.
  18. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I think a Super is easier to carry than a Twin. It's a bit lighter and you don't have to bend over as far to pick it up. Your legs will bump it a bit more.
    I don't know if the Super is brighter, but it's a bit more strident. The 10s definitely have a quality that cuts through.

19. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Used to use a pedal with a TR all the time. A Marshall Shred Master, guy at the store in Fargo said it was the best one for Fenders. (probably just had a whole pallet of the damned things in the back to get rid of) It actually worked pretty well, but that opinion is based on never owning another dirt pedal.
    If I needed more dirt than I'm getting now from my TRs, I'd use a pedal.

20. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

To be honest, I think getting a good OD pedal would serve you the best and not considering one is a bit of a folly.

BobbyZ likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.