Vibrolux baffle - SF Bay Area repair tech?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by caspersvapors, Jul 25, 2019.

1. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

Anybody know a repair tech in the SF Bay Area who also does baffle and cabinet work?

I have a 1968 Vibrolux (drip edge) and the baffle board is deteriorating in a number of ways. Half of the screws which are used to mount the speakers rotate freely, as thoe holes which fasten screws in place have stripped and widened. And in general the baffle just seems like it is getting flimsier. I am thinking to replace the baffle but I would like to keep the original grill cloth and drip edge and reuse that for the replacement.

Anybody know a tech in the Bay Area who does this type of work?

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Casper, I have used CA glue to re-establish a firm holding for those speaker mounting screws. If there were any way to avoid pulling that cloth, I would try it before I would pull it.

3. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

Can you link me to the product you used? Thanks Wally

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I have used CA.....super glue. Cabinet face down...with the speaker and maybe the chassis removed...and reverb tank also removed.
    One wants to be judicious with the application. You would not want the glue to run out of the hole and ruin the grille cloth, right?
    Let some glue run down the screw shaft while lightly pulling and rotating the screw to find the best ‘fit’. It may take more than one light application....it will build up. You will feel when the screw is in the right position...pull the screw into contact and hold for the adhesion. Once it is set, maybe it would not hurt to run a little bit more glue down the hole?
    I have worked with CA for a long time for certain applications on guitars and have gotten comfortable with it. I can see that if one were not comfortable this process might be daunting, but for me it would be preferable to removing the cloth. There is one thing about vintage Fender grille cloth application that is important when dealing with the vintage aspect. They used black staples. If those staples are not black, it invites the question of the originality of the cloth.

5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Yes I have used super glue on my DR also. I use the Hobby Shop variety in "thick". Just remove your baffle. If you can back those studs out a bit, (There's at least 1/4" between the grill cloth and the baffle face) you might be able to reach through the speaker cutout and put the glue on the stud near the head. Then thread the stud back in quickly. That's the best way. Then float some down from the speaker side also. But just from the speaker side may do it.
    Here's what those studs look like:
    https://www.tubeampdoctor.com/produ...e=Amp_Parts_Screws_nuts_and_bolts&language=en

6. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

You can slip some paper or foil between the baffle and the T-nut so glue doesn't get on the grill cloth. I like to use wax paper for that. If you do have to pull off the grill cloth, you can carefully blacken your staples with a couple of coats from a sharpie.

Wally likes this.
  7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Just spray paint the strip of staples on the back before you put them in the gun. Shiny black matches.
    The type of cab he's talking about doesnt have T nuts. But good point regardless.

8. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

I can't use Super Glue without getting my fingers stuck together.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.