1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vibrolux 68 Reissue vs Deluxe Reverb 68 Reissue

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by KnopflerStyle, Oct 14, 2020.

1. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

Guys...

I cant find a 65 deluxe reverb reissue at a decent price...

But i ve founded vibro and deluxe 68 at very good prices...

So i know there is a ton of post about differences between 65 and 68. To me (not pro)... the same.

For home use, i find the vibro could be very loud. Any comments? Country playing. Any tip?

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

For home use they're both very loud. Unless you live by yourself far from neighbours.

I'd get the Princeton Reverb if you must buy new. It's still loud but has tube driven reverb and tremolo like them. Same build quality. It's own breakup and arguably the nicest BF era trem.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  3. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

at 35 five watts , you could fry a lot of ear drums ( maybe yours )

4. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

You guys do know these amps come with knobs connected to a volume control, right?

Just sayin'.

5. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

oh! really? ain't progress wunnerful ,:cool: what will they think of next? guns that go bang, bread that mumbles slice?:p

6. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

I ve never bought a Fender Amp...

I have an Artist 15W.. a lot for home. Probably Fender at 2 / 4 vol isnt enough to fry someone. I play cleans.

7. aFewGoodTaters

aFewGoodTaters TDPRI Member

The 68 Custom Deluxe is 22 watts I think (I may be off slightly). I own one and really like it. I actually like it quite a bit better than the DRRI, but opinions vary on that. With a single coil, lower output guitar it really starts cooking at around 5.5 or 6 on the volume knob, which I find adequate for live playing. Be advised that neither amp is going to be a bedroom-don't wake the kids / wife amp, but around 3 or so on the volume knob the neighbors likely aren't calling the cops (as long as you're not sharing walls). It loses a bit of the amp's character at low volume, but it still sounds good to me.

I think the 2x10 cab (Vibrolux) vs 1x12 (Deluxe) are very different animals in terms of feel and sound, though. I tend to prefer 1x12, but again, it's all a matter of taste.

4pickupguy likes this.
  8. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Holic

I'd say get the Vibrolux. Home use and 68-concepts go together very well imo and schlepping is no issue.

9. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

Burger King or McDonald's?

unixfish likes this.
  10. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I went through the same dilemma when buying my amp. I liked the sound of the ‘68 CDR Deluxe and bought the Guitar Center “Redline” addition. I liked the Vibrolux a lot it’s only very slightly bigger and the same weight as the deluxe. What did it was listening to them both. The VL has a solid state rectifier and it gives it more of a ‘twin’ vibe tone wise. It also shares the same transformer as the deluxe so you get about the same headroom in the power section. So it was the speakers that made the difference. 2-10 25 watt Celestions Creeambacks vs 1-12 150 watt Celestion Redback. The Redline Deluxe would stay cleaner at higher volume and had slightly more smoothness which is what I was after. Both amps are killer! Good luck!!

11. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Home? The 68 Deluxe may be better than the 65 reissue for HOME.
    But also agree that the Princeton reissue may be best at home.

To the comment about "You guys do know these amps come with knobs connected to a volume control, right?"
    Yeah people know, but I play my 65 BFDR at 2.75-3 on the volume at gigs in about 150 person capacity clubs! At 2 it's pretty much off and doesn't sound right, kinda like it's not getting enough signal through or something, like many Fender amps.

telepraise likes this.
  12. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Yes sure - but unless you want to be playing crystalline pure with no breakup, and if you do all power to you, then to me there's limited tubey goodness to be found in a DR or VR at less than 2 on the dial. I did have a SF VR and it was lovely at '6' which was unusable, mostly. Definitely at home unless I wanted the neighbours banging on the door, and a divorce.

13. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

I have a '65 DRRI, currently with a GA-SC64 speaker in it. It sounds great, but out in my shop I can't turn it up past 3 without my ears physically hurting. It lives in my shop while I lug a lighter PRRI to church and back every week. The Princeton is a GREAT amp, I put a Celestion cream alnico in it and love the tone and headroom. If the OP is playing mainly at home, I second the motion of getting a Princeton, the special editions come with a 15wat tranny and 12" speaker.

If I had a barn out in the country, I would love to have a Vibrolux. :D

14. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I've used my Vibrolux both at home and on gigs. The great thing about that model is that it sounds great at any volume.

15. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

3/4 of why an amp sounds good at volume is that you are moving some air, which not only has an effect on you, it couples your guitar to the amp into one instrument. Sure we all like some "breakup", but fuzzy at low volume is just fuzzy. If you want to sound like Albert, or Eric, or Brad, or Brian, or Gary, or Stevie Ray, or Robben, or Samantha, or Duane, or whomever, it will not happen at bedroom volume.

As a matter of fact my acoustics are pretty much too loud to be "bedroom volume". I'm down to 5 amps now, but if I'm just practicing I'm as likely to plug into a 50 watter as I am to plug into a 12 watter. Even at "bedroom volume".

I'm not the biggest fan of either, but the Deluxe Reverb Reissue is a nicer amp, in my opinion.

schmee likes this.
  16. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Afflicted

The great thing about all three of these 20-22 watt Fender NMV amps is they all take pedals very well. I played my ‘65 drri on 4.5 at home with an OCD out in front. I was able to get a killer SRV’esque Texas Blues tone at non ear shattering levels. Also turning the pedal and /or your guitar’s volume down works too as these amps tend to be on the bright side.

trouserpress likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.