Vibrolux 68 reissue speaker swap

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by LKNJ, Jun 2, 2019.

1. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

i have a 68 reissue Vibrolux. One of the stock 30/10 speakers is damaged. Anyone have any experience with swapping out speakers on this amp? Is there a better sounding set out the than the stock speakers?

I’m looking for something that will still sound like a Fender (though, would it make sense to mix and match?). And, I don’t want any breakup from the speaker itself. I typically try to run this amp fairly clean and use it as a pedal platform.

Thanks!

2. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

Ragin cajun? i think that would suit how you use it.

LKNJ likes this.
  3. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Thanks! Do you think there is any reason to try different speakers in it? I’ve never done that before, so kind of curious.

Thanks!

4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Copperhead also.
    Rajin is pretty bold. imho

LKNJ likes this.
  5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I can only reiterate what I"be said about the Eminence Alessandro speakers, which are designed to sound like a 50's speaker.

They are rated 20 watts, they have cardboard voicecoil formers. I have one in my 83 Superchamp which the clean channel is basically a BF Princeton reverb. GA10-SC64.

It sounds fabulous. Takes drive, works with natural breakup. Clean it has a sweet, papery for want of a better word. I am an alnico but, this is a ceramic magnet but it just works.

6. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Is this a speaker that stays clean, or do you get speaker breakup with it? Thanks!

7. Dacious

It stays clean until poweramp breakup. Then it gives it up gradually. It takes a lot of distortion without fartout. It's 98db efficiency - very efficient for a 10".

My SC is dissipating 18watts into a DR output transformer. With this speaker it's sound is very even and balanced.

The basket is apparently a Legend which in ceramic form is 75 watts, and alnico with kapton former is 35 watts.

The paper former blue frame alnico Emi in the Bassman is 20 watts. The ceramic magnet in this is smaller which combined with the paper former is the reason for lower power rating. IMG_20190402_174817.jpg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  8. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Can we stop calling these 68 Custom amps "68 reissues"? They aren’t a reissue of anything. They just happen to look like a 68 drip edge.

With that helpful little rant outta they way (ha), I’ve heard good things about those Alessandros.

9. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

you got a 95 db speaker

so you need a 95 db speaker to match. Both a rajin cajun & the copperhead would be too loud

a WGS G10C (or on the cheap side jensen C10Q) are valid here - Alnico you got the Jensen P10Q

I like the idea of mixing a ceramic english with an alnico american

Dig:

Axis29, MilwMark, jondanger and 3 others like this.
  10. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

That sounds pretty nice!

I’m likely going to take out the stock 30 10 because those speakers have also sounded a little farty to me in certain application - for example, when turned up using a neck humbucker on semi-hollow guitar.

11. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Cool!

12. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would stay with an American voiced speaker.

I have an Alessandro GA-SC64 in my BF Deluxe Reverb and it sounds really good.

I’ve had reissue Jensen’s (C10Q’s or C10N’s) in my SF Vibrolux Reverb and they sounded very good. Another option is to find some vintage CTS’s.

LKNJ likes this.
  13. Dacious

In my SF Vibrolux I had a alnico and ceramic CTS pair. Wonderful combination. Ceramic thud and bottom with alnico kerrrang.

gridlock likes this.
  14. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

I’ve got a pair of Eminence 1058s in my Bandmaster Reverb morphed into a Vibroverb...they are perfect matches for what I think a 210 Fender should sound like

LKNJ likes this.
  15. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The Eminence ALK 1028s or the Alessandros- you can't go wrong, just ask me. :)

LKNJ likes this.
  16. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Sounds like Alessandros are the favorite. Do they handle bottoms end better than the stock speakers?

17. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

LKNJ likes this.
  18. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

I had WGS G10s in my original drip edge Vibrolux. Great big clean classic Fender sound. I swapped them into my Prosonic when I had to downsize the Vibrolux. (Tiny violin, single tear)

LKNJ likes this.
  19. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

It’s not that I want a ton of bass. I just want the speaker to be able to handle those frequencies without distorting (the stock Celestions distort in a really non-musical way, so you really have to turn the bass down when the amp is turned up and you’re using a neck humbucker).

20. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Thanks for the rant. It bugs me, too.

gridlock likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.