1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vibrochamp build complete

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Kev Reg, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Kev Reg

Kev Reg Tele-Meister

Hello everybody. Finally got this one almost finished, just need to buy the handle and maybe a fender badge.
    I wanted to go for a blonde look so made a spruce cab and used the light brown grillcloth. I decided to make a replica with a twist because over here in the UK these amps are very rare and rediculously expensive to acuire. I wont be selling it and feel it is a tribute to a great amp. She runs quiet at idle and I love the trem. I had never heard a valve driven tremelo till I built this.
    I made the mistake of buying the basic output transformer with only a 4ohm tap. I need to get the one with the multi output. Had a few issues with the build but posted for advice here and got great advice. Running it through my jensen mod 8 ohm 12inch speaker for now. Sounds fairly loud with it.
    Here are some pics
    20170416_171255.jpg
    20170416_171401.jpg
    20170416_171311.jpg IMG-20170412-WA0000.jpeg

Fiat_cc, jondanger and Snfoilhat like this.
  2. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Meister

Amp looks awesome!

Kev Reg likes this.
  3. Kev Reg

Kev Reg Tele-Meister

Thanks mjcyates. I had never played a blackface type amp till I built this. I get the term sparkling cleans now! Was enjoying playing with my tele and p90 equipped les paul special. Then the jack input on my les paul died:(. That guitar is needing some serious TLC anyway.
    Ahh well still got the tele!

4. tele_player

tele_player Tele-Meister

Looks great.

So, trem works now? Was missing connection on Speed pot the only problem?

5. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Looks good. Congrats.

6. Kev Reg

Kev Reg Tele-Meister

I had two issues at startup. My b+ was shorting to ground. I started probing with my meter and had continuity across the first filter capacitor. I had used tag board to mount the filter capacitors rather than use a cap can. Turns out the tag I had soldered to was bolted to the chassis. I just desoldered and moved it along to the next tag. Thanks for spotting the missing link on my 3meg pot. The amp worked fine after sorting those issues. Happy days!

7. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

This circuit is so under-rated. Pair it up with your speaker of choice and it's super versatile. Takes pedals well, has plenty of grind turned up, and mic it up to gig. Great amps.

8. Kev Reg

Kev Reg Tele-Meister

It seems like the perfect bedroom amp for sure. Played it loads today through a few of my pedals. Its alot quieter than my 5e3 and has a nice gradual volume sweep unlike the sudden in your face blast you get at around 2 on the dial with the 5e3. Need to swap out the 4 ohm transformer for a multi output unit. Then I can match it with my 8 ohm cab and hear the full output capabilities.:D

9. kleydejong

kleydejong Tele-Holic

Very nice! I have a Vibrochamp that I recently completed as well and think it is a fantastic amp. If only I could build a head enclosure like that though...

Kev Reg likes this.
  10. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

That looks awesome, I love the idea of taking those classic amps and building them as head units. You did well.

Kev Reg likes this.
  11. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

That is a great looking amp inside and out. Congrats on getting it finished.

Kev Reg likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.