Vibro King.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by fasteddie42, Sep 13, 2019 at 4:33 PM.

1. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

Please mind that I've done a ton of deep diving and research. I also understand that the vibroking is a pretty unique circuit design within the fender lineage.

And this is in regards to a year 2000 model so it has the 6v6 revery recovery rather than the original el84 (?)

I'm out of town on a job, but one of these popped up locally, so when I get back home I do plan on setting up an appointment to try it out.

For those who own/have played/in the know.

What classic fender design/circuit/sound is the vibro king most similar too?

I've heard it described as a tighter 59 bassman reissue. Any truth to this statement?

I've read alot about the interactivity of the tonestack and the volume. Running the volume really high with the tonestack low gives up a hairy low(ish) volume sound, running the tone stacks wide with the volume low for cleaner leaning sounds and inbetween.

Can someone please expand upon the interactivity??

I've read its a marriage between tweed/brownish/blackishface depending on the settings, others say its not like any of them.

I'd love to open a dialoge to all things vibroking, I'm happy to hear any and all opinions and experiences with the model, good, bad or inbetween.

Thanks y'all!

2. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

I believe the circuit is mostly a 5F6A (59 bassman) with solid state rectifier and a 6G15 reverb tank added to the front of the amp. I've played one and liked it a lot, but it didn't have enough clean headroom for me.

Other Fender amps I've played/owned that are similar in character: Prosonic, Tonemaster, Vibrolux Custom, and Dual Professional.

If you're feeling like looking at the boutique non-compromised version, check out the Supro Tremolectric 3x10 amp. Made by the same guy who made the Vibro King, Bruce Zinky.

Tim S and Chiogtr4x like this.
  3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes, the VK most closely resembles a 5F6A. The solid state rectifier will yield a tighter Sonic. Fwiw, the 6V6 or the 6BQ5 in the earlier version is the Reverb driver tube...not the return. I have a VK that did not yield good sounds. The one that I worked on for Bugs Henderson..RIP...was a great amp.

4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Bruce Zinky also designed the mighty Smokey Amp!
    I've had mine since they came out, mid-'90s
    ( it's the Zinky I can afford!) 20171024_100812.jpg

5. Tonemaster

Tonemaster Tele-Afflicted

Love my Prosonic. Very versatile amp. amps.jpg

6. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Probably the best-sounding amp I ever played was a Vibro King. I played with it several times in a guitar shop and stupidly didn't buy it. It sounded the way I look: fat, hairy, and beautiful.

theprofessor likes this.
  7. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

My early VK was running Celestion Golds. A great sounding amp that I picked up pretty cheap. Nice warm tones that would start to breakup around 4-5 but still pretty loud. I used the VK as a backup amp in my last band. Mine was running an EL84 for Reverb. I recall that it took a Tubescreamer pretty well.

Only sold the VK because I also owned both a SF and BF Super Reverb at the same time and thought that the Vibro King was somewhat redundant. I sold all but the BF Super (now also gone).

The VK’s tone was definitely warmer than the two Supers (which I really liked). I preferred the Tube Rectifier (sag) and Reverb from the Super over the VK. In addition both Supers seemed lighter than the VK.

I do kind of miss the Vibro King. It has its own sound, maybe more brownface sounding to my ears, with lots of warmth, and plenty of bass.

I’ve since downsized to a BF Deluxe Reverb and BF Vibrolux Reverb but I am still glad that I owned a Vibro King.

6D78AF08-0C8F-4F62-B3D7-A94CF433095A.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 7:33 PM
    bftfender and hotrodkid like this.
  8. nixdad

nixdad Tele-Meister

Love that sound. Played one years ago (maybe 2012), could have bought it but bought that Vicky over there instead. Really didn't need that much amp. But damn.

9. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

Always wanted a VK from the first time I plugged into one back in the late 90's. Way too loud for me now. I guess for me that ship has sailed.

10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Ime, the VK is an amp that can sound good at any volume level. Will it create distortion at lower volumes?? That is another question.
    Through the same speakers, the VK is about twice as loud as a 5 watt amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.