Vibro Champ NVAD

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jaycoyoyo, Dec 29, 2014.

1. jaycoyoyo

jaycoyoyo Tele-Meister

Serial number dates to 1975. Was a Craigslist posting from a local pawn shop. The tolex is in pretty rough shape, but I'm not a collector. It is completely silent when the volume is at zero, but has a slight hiss and occasional crackle with the volume turned up. Will be installing new tubes in the next couple weeks. I had to replace the outlet plug, because a previous owner broke or yanked the ground prong.

I really like the sound so far, because it really sparkles with single coils and has a great growl and grind with humbuckers.

Obligatory photo:

Attached Files:

2. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Cool score! Enjoy it

3. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Nice! Congrats!

4. dtermined2play

dtermined2play Tele-Afflicted

Very nice

5. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

Nice score...I miss my Champ.

6. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

congrats, i like the looks of the vibro champs. meaning i like it has more eq options than the normal champ. its a year younger than me.
    rock on.
    chris.

7. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Cool. Any gut shots? I wonder has the cap can been replaced yet? How about those white 25/25 Mallory caps? They are prone to failure. Could very well be part of the crackling sound you are hearing. Just a heads up.

8. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Great little amps, I owned two Vibro Champs, first a 1977, sold that and currently own a 1968 (a keeper). Both amps sounded great and I really can't recall hearing any difference between the two model years. I recall reading that the circuits on the small Fender amps really did not change much from the blackface to silverface models throughout the years.

Congrats and enjoy that nice amp.

9. willpayne

willpayne TDPRI Member

Nice! I'd be interested to hear the difference in the Silverface/Blackface. I have a '64 Vibro Champ. It's got a great tone.

10. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I owned a 1977 SF Vibro Champ and sold it to immediately buy a 1968 SF Vibro Champ-Amp. Supposedly, the 1968 is the same circuit as the Blackface amps. I could tell no tonal difference between the 1977 and the 1968 VC's.

The 1968 amp seems to be a little lighter than the 1977 amp. I guess that the weight has to do with the '68's pine cab and 2-prong VS the 77's MDF cab and 3-prong plug.

11. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Nice find.

12. jaycoyoyo

jaycoyoyo Tele-Meister

Sad face update... the vibro champ took a ***** last night. I was running it on 10 (is there any other way?), and then it went silent and there was a burning smell. The LED lights up but that's all it does. I'm taking it to a tech this week.

13. allthatjazz

allthatjazz Tele-Meister

Nice score. I found myself one of these a few months back. Awesome tremolo. Hope the repair goes well.

14. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

The mandatory service on every last one of these is moving the 470 ohm bias resistor away from the adjacent capacitor.

Mandatory service on every vintage amp is to check the fuse before running it. Lotta these blow fuses. The quick and dirty fix... use a bigger fuse!

Thus the burning smell.

Don't do that.

The failure mode is they run the 6V6 tube at approximately 420 volts and 100% dissipation. Fender used some kick- ass tubes when these were new. People think they're doin' you favor by "servicing" the amp with all new imported tubes. Some of those fancy new imports have dismally short lives at 400+ volts and 100" dissipation. Typical internal damage is a torched 1k screen grid resistor and the 470 ohm resistor, 25uf cap I mentioned.

If the previous owner "fixed" the fuse blowing problem with a bigger fuse the 1k resistor sometimes torches through the circuit board.

15. jaycoyoyo

jaycoyoyo Tele-Meister

Thanks for the tips! I will definitely pass this along.

I know this is a hugely open-ended question, but do you have recommendations on a power tube that can handle that type of load? Are JJ's sufficient in your opinion?

16. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, JJs are o.k..

17. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Congrats on the Vibro Champ ! Looks pretty clean in the pic ! I just got one in November , a 1977 . It is kind of rough , the chassis straps and handle straps were very rusted , so I bought new ones for about 12 bucks on Ebay . The speaker had a hole in it , but I had a WGS 8" in my stash so I put it in . It was listed as " works perfectly " in the ad but when it came the 6V6 and 5y3 tubes were broken , which is too bad because they were the original Fender branded tubes , but I had a Sylvania and RCA to replace them so that worked out . The seller refunded me 45 bucks for the tubes so I got it , shipped , for about $280 . The faceplate is kind of scratched up but boy it sounds great ! Ran it through a 1-15 cab I have and it sounds HUGE ! Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine . Z54

18. tuxtux

tuxtux TDPRI Member

Nice,
    I am still looking for a Vibro champ hard to find in the Netherlands

Regards
    Clavan
    Netherlands - Zoetermeer

19. jaycoyoyo

jaycoyoyo Tele-Meister

Welp, my VC is finally back up and running! The rectifier tube tested bad and was replaced. A NOS Sylvania 6V6 was also rolled in. The 12AX7s stayed put and appear to be ancient RCAs. I also had it re-capped.

Here's a sloppy basement clip with my Les Paul Custom (my Tele was at the band rehearsal space), with coil tap engaged for part of it. The tube screamer is a Maxon VOP9 with the gain at noon. The amp volume is on 3 (my daughter was sleeping upstairs).

https://soundcloud.com/jaycoyoyo/vibro-champ-demo

20. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Just a quick question or note; Do Vibro Champs have LED lights?? I would reckon that it doesn't unless it's an XD model or if it was modified.

Otherwise, congrats on getting it fixed up. The recording sounds very nice. The Vibro Champ is on my bucket list to own someday; just gotta find the right deal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.