Vibro Champ build, first baby step

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Magnuseklof, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Magnuseklof

Magnuseklof TDPRI Member

Hi all, Magnus from Sweden here.
    I decided to try and build a Vibro Champ. I've sourced parts from previous builds, bought a few new bits and pieces, haven't made my mind up yet to go with a blank chassis for the freedom of front design or a pre-drilled one. Got a Warehouse G8C ceramic speaker & Hammond transformers from Tube-town and a board from Tube-amp-doctor. Thought I'd document the build since I've searched a great deal myself for build-images. I'm afraid this project will take a while due to a lot of job-related activity until end of year, anyways, here's the first image

2. Magnuseklof

Magnuseklof TDPRI Member

3. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire

Nice! Very tidy.

If you want, you can insert pics directly in your message while you're writing it, using drag / drop or file copy / paste or with the 'upload a file' button (on my machine anyway). When they're in the 'gallery' like this I can't see them on my tablet or phone in the tapatalk app.

Magnuseklof likes this.
  4. PhatBoy

PhatBoy Tele-Afflicted

How much experience do you have?

Magnuseklof likes this.
  5. Magnuseklof

Magnuseklof TDPRI Member

Thanks, and thanks for the tip, just foundation the ”upload a file function” doh.

6. Magnuseklof

Magnuseklof TDPRI Member

*found
    Swedish auto-correct...

King Fan likes this.
  7. Magnuseklof

Magnuseklof TDPRI Member

Hi,
    Well, not a huge amount of experience to be honest.
    About 10 years ago I built a 5f1, 5f2 & a 5e3, they all turned out really well and started at the first try. Definitely much more due to my ability to follow build instructions and a schematic, than a deeper knowledge of what the different components actually do to produce and affect the sound of the amp, but I’m learning.

/Magnus

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  8. King Fan

You seem to have enough to do nice work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Magnuseklof

Magnuseklof TDPRI Member

I finished the board this afternoon, I also designed a faceplate that's on it's way from the supplier. Decided to go with knobs differing a bit from the blackface standard, as I'm going with a blank chassis I've also put more distance between the knobs. Anything to be different I guess;-) AA764solderedboard.jpg
    faceplate_FINAL.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg

JohnnyCrash, Nickfl, D'tar and 2 others like this.
  10. King Fan

Tidy!!!

Magnuseklof likes this.
  11. Roman4405

Roman4405 TDPRI Member

Nice, one day I’ll get the time to build an Amp. Looking forward to following this build.

Magnuseklof likes this.
  12. Magnuseklof

Magnuseklof TDPRI Member

Hi all, weekend, finally!

Time for a build update for anyone interested in my little project.
    I ordered a faceplate and a decal for the back of the chassis, these arrived this week and turned out rather well if I say so myself. I've also finished my blank chassis and it's quite evident that my graphic design game is a tad stronger than my metal-shop game, well, at age 53 I guess it's OK to be the beginner at something.

As previously mentioned I've sourced parts from all over, some I had myself since earlier builds, some I had to get elsewhere, then I made some decisions about the build;

I'll go with 1/4" jacks for speaker & tremolo, as I happened to have a bunch of Switchcrafts lying about, doing no good.

The tremolo jack will be a switched jack, always on. As I'm a bedroom player (and I don't see this fact change anytime ever) the amp will never be without arms reach from me, I'll simply pop in an empty plug in the jack should I not want the circuit active.

Since we are apartment-dwellers I decided to install an L-pad attenuator in the side of the cab (the cab I haven't ordered yet that is). When at our summer cottage I'll just bypass the L-pad and let it rip.

JJ-tubes, Switchcraft jacks & plugs, Carling switch (since I really don't love the sliding switch on the original amp).
    CTS pots, Belton sockets, Hammond transformers.

That's pretty much it for now, when I get the time I'll solder up the innards and order a cab, most probably from Tubeamp Doctor in Germany since I'm in Europe, the only thing I really don't like with their cab is the "new-looking" grille-cloth, I think I have to get some aged cloth somewhere to make it look just so...

Now it's drink-o'clock where I'm at, so I'll leave you all with some images of my efforts so far.

/Magnus

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0049.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0055.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg

Attached Files:

FenderLover and King Fan like this.
  13. Magnuseklof

Magnuseklof TDPRI Member

14. BigDaddy23

BigDaddy23 Tele-Holic

Mate, I really like the faceplates. The font looks fantastic. Where did you order them from?

JohnnyCrash and Magnuseklof like this.
  15. Magnuseklof

Magnuseklof TDPRI Member

Cheers BigDaddy, glad you like them!
    I ordered the plates online from a local company, www.skyltmax.se. They make all kinds of signs and such stuff.
    You can design your own plate in their online tool, but the options there are quite limited. Since one of my humble skills is graphic design, I designed these plates in Adobe Illustrator, the font is Futura. Then I just uploaded the design to their site ordering a plate with this by that dimensions with rounded corners and it was in my mailbox three days and €50 later, Bob’s your uncle. I’m sure there are similar services where you reside.

/Magnus

JohnnyCrash and BigDaddy23 like this.
  16. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Allstar lineup.... My favorites

King Fan took the word right out of my mouth. Very tidy. Well done. Keep it coming.

Magnuseklof likes this.
  17. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Meister

Looking great. I think your 3D engineering on the chassis looks pretty good, I'd be pleased if my current, simply project comes out as well.

Was it a PDF file you sent? And what material is the sign please?

I'm trying to find a UK company will do a panel for €25 or so but not found anyone so far.

Magnuseklof likes this.
  18. Magnuseklof

Magnuseklof TDPRI Member

Hi, and thanks!
    The local company I used seems to have branches all over the place, in the UK, US & Australia as well. In the UK they are signomatic.co.uk.
    The faceplate is aluminium, 1.5mm which, ideally I would have wanted it thinner, but this is what was offered and works just fine. The decal on the back is a sticker, self-adhesive, from the same company. I enclose the Illustrator-files files I used should they help anyone. I'll post some screenshots of the ordering process below as well, on the bottom of their webpage are all available countries they serve.

/Magnus

EDIT:
    I should point out that I'm in no way whatsoever affiliated with the company in question, when looking for a way to make my own faceplate I found a number of suppliers but choose this one as it seemed relatively easy to order from them. Your milage may vary.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    JohnnyCrash, BigDaddy23 and Paul-T like this.
  19. Magnuseklof

Magnuseklof TDPRI Member

signomatic_001.png
    First step, choose your product.

signomatic_002.png
    Well, next series of images are quite self-evident...

signomatic_003.png
    signomatic_004.png
    signomatic_005.png
    Here I choose a white background for my faceplate, could have gone with aluminium I guess but white worked fine.

signomatic_006.png
    signomatic_007.png
    signomatic_008.png
    I did NOT add any text at this step as my design was already finalised in Adobe Illustrator.

signomatic_009.png
    At this step I used the "upload image" button to upload my design. The application wants an .eps or a .svg file, just export this from out of Illustrator. Well, I realise I use the word "just" a bit lightly here, if you're not used to design software you will benefit from help at this point of course, but clearing this obstacle you'll have to part with £33.15, shipping not included, and your faceplate will be delivered a couple of days later.

Hope this helps.

/Magnus

Paul-T and King Fan like this.
  20. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Super cool project displaying an incredibly high level of thought and detail. I am really impressed (and more than a bit inspired). Thanks for sharing!

Magnuseklof likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.