Vibrato on a Vibro Champ Vs 6g2/3

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by mcentee2, Sep 24, 2021.

1. mcentee2

mcentee2 Tele-Meister

I love the 6v6 bias vibrato/Trem on the 6g2/3, but am really looking at a "quieter" home amp.

I know the AA768 Vibro Champ is single ended, cathode bias 6v6, so the vibrato/Trem links into the second preamp triode cathode instead.

I can't find many good videos to show if this has the same behaviour, like letting the heavy driven sounds be nearly Trem free then Trem bleeds back in the background on note decay ?

Or is it more like the optical blackface Trem circuits that stay like a static effect?

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Ime, IF a bias vary trem ‘fades away’ during heavily driven sounds, then it could be that the biasing of the tube is hot enough to be borderline and the ‘push’ is taking the tube into a region where the trem circuit is not allowed to vary that bias. The bias point in a fixed biased push-pull amp with bias vary trem can be set hot enough to totally defeat the trem function…it will be weakened and at some point not work at all.
    I have never experienced such a situation as you described with overdriven signals, but I admit that I have never used tremolo in a heavily overdriven signal. I might have to experiment with that???

3. mcentee2

mcentee2 Tele-Meister

In particular, this is a great showcase for that 6g Trem sound :)

From about 5:30 onwards, it isn't actually that broken up, but just sounds to my ears so smooth and not there when the chords/notes are hit, only afterwards.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

IF I were basing my decision on buying that amp on that video, I would not be buying such an amp. Ymmv…but he did a disservice to a great circuit, imho. I have owned a number of vintage 6G2s, and I know what they can do. I listened t9 Chris Stapleton work his signature amp in a video. That was a much better representation of what one should sound like, ime.
    Fwiw, I did force myself to watch from 5:30 to the end. I did not hear what you are describing. They only time he was using the trem during the higher volume setting, the three intensity setting was barely up…at about 9 o’clock.

mcentee2 likes this.
  5. mcentee2

mcentee2 Tele-Meister

Thanks, appreciate your words of wisdom.i'll check out that Stapleton video,, although I could only find the one video where he plays for a minute at the start.

This one from Fender probably shows the Trem in my context, and is mentions from 3.05

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    Wally likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.