Vibrasonic speaker swap..

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Al W, Nov 13, 2021.

1. Al W

Al W TDPRI Member

Hello Fender fanatics:
    I've got a Zinky era Vibrasonic.
    I like it as is but it weighs 81 Lbs.
    So I'm looking for a 15" neo that would have the right character.
    Guess this stock speaker is a JBL clone.
    Hate to change it, but I would not mind not carrying that magnet around.

What Neo ? Is there a 15" anyone might recommend in this application.

2. 2L man

2L man Tele-Holic

I have Jensen Neo 15-150 which magnet does not have fins. I have not found much use for it. Using low volume it colors sound less than other speakers, obviously just because it needs to handle high power. I think it was designed same time the Neo 12-100 which also stay clean longer. Perhaps jazz, country and steel guitarists would like it? Or blues and rock guitarist who can often dime 50W amp?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    Al W likes this.
  3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The Eminence Legend 1518 is a 150 watt speaker with great sonics. It weighs 12.1 pounds, which would cut your weight down some if that OEM speaker is a cast frame. For my purposes, I would have to have at least 150 watts of handling capability for such an amp. I is hard to avoid some weigh with that amp. Emi’s 15” Neo weighs in at 7.9 lbs with a metal dust cover…not my cup of tea. Their DT15 is a Neo at 7.1 lbs wi a paper dust cover. Both of these Neo’s hve 300 watt ratings.Ime, with a Neo I would want a lot morhandl8ng capability. I have seen a BFTR take out a set of Emi Neos and a set of Celestion Neo’s in short order.

Al W likes this.
  4. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

At 10.6#, the Celestion Fullback 100watt sounds great and would still save you some weight. Trouble is the limited options for neos...

Al W likes this.
  5. Al W

Al W TDPRI Member

I'm playing Jazz when I use that amp. Jazz ,R&B and Funk. All clean stuff. No Rock.

PhredE likes this.
  6. Al W

Al W TDPRI Member

I had thought that the Eminence Kappalite would be a choice its rated for 450 watts , I think they do a 4 ohm . That might be a way to go. I also have a message out to Webber to see if they do one that would work.

7. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

Henriksen uses different sizes of the Emi Beta series (conventional ceramic magnets, but along the same lines of reasoning I suppose). Unfortunately, with the Neo requirement the pool of potential options thin out pretty quick. You might check Parts Express (PA) and browse through the "Pro Woofer' options they offer. You'll also find some very nice Neo options from Faital Pro or B&C (Italian made) and PRV (Brazil). Some are comparable price-wise with the Emi Kappalite -- a bit more expensive.

See if this gets you there:
    https://www.parts-express.com/speak...bwoofers-midrange-speakers/nominaldiameter/15

Also, have you considered using an adapter ring and just going to a 12" instead ? LOTS more options, and -- depending on particular speaker specs -- you probably wouldn't give up anything (sonically speaking) in such a change.

FYI, Oh, and the PA 'house' brand Dayton Audio speakers are very good and usually a great bang-for-the-buck. I use a 12" PA (hefty conventional magnet, w/450w rating) the Dayton Audio PA-310 and it is rock solid and stays nice and clean with lots of power pumped into it.

Edit: The FaitalPro 15PR400 would appear to 'check all the boxes' for you:
    * 15"
    * 4ohm
    * 400w RMS
    * 99db
    * 35-4kHz response
    * Weight is <9lbs (Neo motor)

Not cheap at $270, but I'd bet it would sound great too. Faital makes great speakers.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    Al W likes this.
  8. Al W

Al W TDPRI Member

Thanks for the reply. The link brought me to their 15"s thanks. Very helpful
    I'm tempted by the Faital Pro. It doesn't make sense cause it could take 2 gigs to pay for it, but this amp , for some reason rings my bell. It must be the combination of the 4 6L6 output tubes and that 15" speaker . They did something very right with this Custom Vibrasonic . Mr. Zinky even got the preamps right. I bought this thing used a couple of years ago . Near mint , factory tubes , not a scratch on it. I plugged in and was swept away. It even has a volume control with the correct roll off. I've done a million gigs with twin reverbs that I couldn't push past 2.5 on the volume dial. This circuit allows you to open it up a bit more so it always has some character.
    Guess this is a love note to my Custom Vibrasonic.
    If this speaker swap gets the weight down a bit I might put a ring on this thing....

PhredE likes this.
  9. Wally

Which channel do you use? The Steel channel is a stock Ab763 TR circuit. The Guitar channel has two minor voicing changes….the Bass cap is changed from a .1mfd to a .047mfd and the Mid cap is changed from a .047mfd to a .022mfd. The biggest difference by my quick review of the scheme is that the Custom Vibrasonic does not have a negative feedback loop. I like to put a potentiometer in series with the shunt resistors in the vintage circuits so as to be able to yield a richer, hotter sound.

10. 2L man

2L man Tele-Holic

Then Neo 15-150 would be good and very light weight speaker. It sound good when more pedals are used. They are still available at least here in Europe.

Al W likes this.
  11. Al W

Al W TDPRI Member

I need a 4ohm. Don't think they do a 4.

12. Al W

Al W TDPRI Member

I'm using the guitar channel. The steel channel sounds like my twin to me , the guitar side has a bit more vibe . I could see that A/B ing the channels could be a good move on a pop gig. Could get me very different sounds for rhythm guitar.
    It may be that the thing that I like about this amp apart from that 15" (which I always like) is the absence of the negative feed back loop. Could be that at this wattage level the bit of distortion that the feedback loop eliminates is exactly what I do want to hear, I think I prefer the very mild distortion even at low volumes.
    Do you have an opinion on the Webber Neo. They have one , real pricy though. $258 or thereabouts .

Wally likes this.
  13. Wally

I have no experience with Neo’s other than the two that I mentioned earlier. I put two Emi’s in a BFTR for a pro customer. When I saw the amp about 6 months later, he had Celestion Neo’s in it. I asked what happened to the Emi’s he said they did not last and that he replaced them with the Celestions. I wanted to hear what the Celestions sounded like so we fired the amp up. One of the them had already developed a voice coil rub, which he had not heard until then. So, me experience with Neos has not been good. That is limited experience, though.

Al W likes this.
  14. Al W

Al W TDPRI Member

I've only got one Neo an Emi in a Deluxe. Its running fine, but its a low power amp that doesn't see a ton of use.
    Think I should be OK with the Neo . I'm not blasting away. But I like the idea of a stout power capacity. I would think that my program volume would peak above the 150 watt rating of some of these speakers. I like the 300-450 watt capacity . Might last for the long haul... that Faital is 400 watts.....

15. Al W

Al W TDPRI Member

Going to try that Faital , lets hope that decision isn't fatal !;)

39martind18 likes this.
  16. Wally

It will only hurt for awhile.

Al W and 39martind18 like this.
  17. Al W

Al W TDPRI Member

Installed that Faital Pro today.
    Interesting , brighter than the Emi EVO clone for sure !
    Its going to change as I get some hours on it.
    I'll drag it out to a gig , see how it does.
    Its at least 10 pounds lighter than the Emi...
    Feels much more manageable.
    I can one hand it now.
    Its down to about 60 lbs..

18. Al W

Al W TDPRI Member

Used this on a little gig last night , I think the Faital has a bit too much high end for the sound I'm looking for. More a PA application or Bass guitar perhaps..... Usable but not Ideal...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.