VHT Special 6w 1x10 vs Supra Blues King 5w 1x10

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Archtop Bill, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Holic

I am planning a low watt tube amp purchase in a couple weeks. The Fender Champ is not in my budget and since the Mojo kit costs almost as much as the Fender, why not get a clone for half the price or less? Thanks the pandemic I am not able to go to a GC and A-B play the the VHT Special 6 against the Supro Blue King 5w. Anyone have experience with either or both?

The VHT is appealing because it is cheaper and is handwired. I like working on my amps so handwired is appealing.

The Supro has spring reverb, which I like, but can be replaced easy enough with a pedal. Aesthetically, the Supro looks better IMO.

My main amp is a modded SuperSonic 22 and I have a DV Mark Little Jazz as my backup gigging amp. I want a low watt amp for home recording and playing around with.

Any comments, observations or alternative suggestions?

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I've had my VHT S6 Ultra for a few years now and love it. I bought the head version and used a Walmart auto boom box case to put in my own speaker of choice to make a great combo. The extra gain stage and the effects loop are great attributes. I have not played the Supro 5w, but it does seem more traditional in layout, footswitch and on board reverb.

Beware that the VHT combo speakers are very dark to my ears, so the head versions of the S6 or S6U allow more options.

Archtop Bill likes this.
  3. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

I've been curious about the Supro Blues King myself, but I can tell you the VHT Ultra 6 is a great little amp.:)

I've got the head version, and managed to shoe-horn a hot-rodded, big magnet 6" X 9" speaker into it that a local guy (Hempo-potamus Speakers) built up for me. Lot's of sparkle and chime and power from a small package.

It's a amp that's very easy to modify too - it's easy to work on and there are a number of well documented modifications out there complete with wiring diagrams.

You can run some of the big-bottle tubes in the Ultra 6 too. I've got mine set up for an EL-34.

Check out the stuff on Robrobs site. He's a forum member who mostly posts on the Shock Brothers part of the forum.

Archtop Bill likes this.
  4. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Holic

Vht Special 6. Hand wired so easy to mod. I bypassed the tone stack as i didnt like the tone suck scoop of the normal channel and the boost channel was too ratty. I changed a few caps and resistors.
    Now it's a mini Marshall head.
    The output transformer is quite big. Coupled w the bigger plated JJ 6v6 it is a loud monster. It stays pretty clean until high up the dial.
    I usually put a booster in front.
    I have it on low power in the house. Works well.

I would bet it eats the Supro for breakfast.And you can easily gig w it.
    Mind you, the Supro blues king 10 might work better for you as a home amp w an early onset of dirt.
    The switchable channels might also work better as standard, compared to the Special 6. The Supro combo is housed in a nice poplar cab.
    So, i'd say , try the Supro first. If you really like it and the money is right go for it.
    If you are ok w modding and you can get your hands on a cheap Special 6 it is worth it. Get the head io the combo.

I have posted a few comments on the VHT Special 6 thread.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    Archtop Bill likes this.
  5. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Holic

Ive edited my post above, Archtop Bill..

6. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.