VHT Special 6 Ultra combo Speaker swap.

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by blues bondsman, Jan 10, 2019.

1. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Afflicted

I kinda like the cream knobs 20190129_130214.jpg 20190129_130733.jpg

telel6s and TequilaCaster like this.
  2. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Pardon my OCD, but I'll butt in to clarify a couple of things. Weber recommends the 12A125A for a Tweed Deluxe, not a Deluxe Reverb which is a very different sounding amp. A Tweed Deluxe is very mid heavy, not so with a Deluxe Reverb which is brighter. Also, the 12A125A is not what I would call an efficient speaker. While Weber doesn't publish SPL (efficiency) ratings for its speakers, I can say from personal experience that the 12A125A is not nearly as efficient (loud) in my Tweed Deluxe clone as a Celestion Blue (SPL of 100db). If I had to guess I would say the 12A125A (mine is the recommended 30w, light dope version) has an efficiency rating of no greater than 96 or 97db. That said, it is a beautiful sounding speaker in a Tweed Deluxe.

3. blues bondsman

You are so right.
    I will say that I had a Weber 12A150 in a DRRI that and eventually I swapped it into a Dirty Girl 5E3 clone, it sounded killer in both amps.
    But yes the 12A125A is recommended for the tweed Deluxe.

Thanks for the clarification:)

Chicago Matt likes this.
  4. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Matrix! I had completely forgotten what the model name was. Gotta love the non-replaceable frets. I got mine early in high school. I bought a full wooden Yamaha middle of college freshman year but the Ovation still made trips out onto the beach and was lent out to at least three people that I can remember who wanted to learn guitar. At some point it just became unplayable and spent one spring as a small goldfish pond (all good until the first day the sun was high enough in the sky to cook the fish -- oops) and has now been a planter for the past twenty years.

For those here who don't understand this little off-topic post, blues bondsman was referring to a picture of mine he saw elsewhere. I now return you to talk of VHT amps & their speaker choices.
    OvationGuitar.jpg

blues bondsman likes this.
  5. blues bondsman

At the end of this thing I must admit that the Goofy looking Mirror like chrome back speaker that comes in the combo or their external cabs sounds excellent in these amps.
    There I said it. LOL
    My Baja Telecaster through the Ultra gives me a perfect clean to deep growl that I need for soulful country Blues.
    I can get a perfect Tab Benoit sound out of this set up.

Now I must admit that my amp and it's speaker are seven years old and well broken in.
    My tubes are all USA made vintage stuff.

I would take the Chromeback over the Celestion that came in my Tweaker combo any day !
    That being said the Tweaker is a few months old and it could be that the Speaker comes alive after many hours of play.

6. blues bondsman

Long time no visit here.
    So I lost my mind and bought a Katana MKII 100 watt combo.
    I played with it and tried so hard to find usable tones.
    I plugged into my VHT with a Weber 12A150 and started packing the Katana.
    Hey I tried ! Digital will always sound digital

7. johnnyshaka

johnnyshaka TDPRI Member

Fellow Special 6 Ultra owner here...so you ended up replacing the stock speaker again? May I ask why?

I've left mine stock to this point and haven't grown tired of what I can get out of it...yet.

Where do you have the knobs and texture switch set for your clean tone? Do you use pedals for dirt or just use the amp's boost?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.