1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

VHT Special 6 or Fender Vibro Champ XD?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by schmee, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Quite often it turns out that one mans clean is another mans dirt. I don't know your situation but I primarily play clean Country through a Twin and that's the bench mark for me when talking about clean.

2. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Afflicted

Well then …
    6 watts to 80 or more, not exactly apples to apples eh.

And to be honest I use the low power switch on my Special 6 Ultra 90% of the time or it gets too much headroom for me.

I also own a 1968 Bandmaster that I run through a 2x12 with one Weber 12F150 and one 12A150 that stays clean up to 8 ish on the volume dial, but for 3 to 6 watts the headroom on my Spl 6 Ultra is way better than most single power tube amps I've owned.

3. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

^^I apologize if I offended. That was not my intention. But if the OP is looking for stand alone clean at say garage jam levels it has to be noted that 5 watt amps are primarily intended to satisfy the tube saturation at low volume crowd. That's not a bad thing it just is what it is.

schmee likes this.
  4. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Which one? Was there supposed to be a pic?

5. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  6. schmee

Yeah, I considered that, but after trying about 6 SS amps I've decided I must have tubes. I have a 3 SS here still. If I was convinced SS would work for me I would get a Roland Jazz Chorus.

7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I'd buy the VHT.

I had one of the Fender XD heads and it was too much like a modeling amp for me. I don't want to upset any XD fans but it was too much like a modeling kids amp for me.

Sometimes less is more. I like the VHT. Our other guitar player has a VHT combo amp that he brings to practice at times. It's a very nice little amp. I've stood across from it for hours and hours and it sounds very nice.

8. drob

drob Tele-Holic

I've had a few 6's. Great little amps.

9. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have not played the VHT. I've had a VCXD for about 5 years. I think its a great amp, it has only been used at home. I think if you come at it with an open mind and put the XD through its paces, you will be more than happy with it. If mine crapped out, I'd seek out another. They can be a sort of modeler, but I find its a great song writing tool.

10. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I have both the regular VHT Special 6 and a Super Champ X2. For straight up tube tone, Special 6, if you want onboard effects and modeling, the Fender.
    I haven't cranked up the Special 6 loud enough to distort, it's darn loud and clean just with a (NOS) 6V6 and I deliberately chose a WGS Veteran 10 to install so I can get a speaker that can also break up. I find it's a great pedal testing platform, I build a lot of pedals and the clean tone allows me to hear what the pedal is doing.

11. schmee

So...... UPDATE: how far from typical Champ tone is the Special 6? After trying several Champs over the years I've decided they are not for me. Champs just seem nasty to me. I need nice clean tone, not super bright, with some punch in a small package and for low volume in a Duo. I dont need any effects really.
    Still considering the Special 6, or I may have to go to the Monoprice 15, Pro Junior or something like that. Monoprice $ have shot up a lot, otherwise I'd just try one. But demo's of the Mono seem to have some hum going on. In this duo, some jazzy stuff etc, I cant have hum etc.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.