VHT Special 6 or Fender Vibro Champ XD?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by schmee, Apr 19, 2019.

1. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Cheap 5-6 watt tube amps. Any thoughts positive or negative? I want minimum 10" or even 12" speaker.

2. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

VHT, it's handwired.

3. Kitarkus

Kitarkus TDPRI Member

Don't know much about the VHT. I love my Super Champ XD....and prior I really liked the Vibro Champ XD that I gave to a buddy (he still loves it). The clean channel on the VC is really lovely and a good platform for pedals should you choose to use them.

I should say that in hindsight I should have kept the VC for bedroom/office use....great size for such application. I use the SCXD for same purpose...but it can get loud(er)

TequilaCaster likes this.
  4. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

VHT sounds really good and is easy to mod if you want to dig into the circuit.

5. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Holic

My experience is with the Ultra version of the VHT Special 6; I've got the head configuration of it. I've been very impressed with it :). I bought mine second-hand, so it was relatively cheap as well.

I find that most often I don't even use the "Ultra" feature, the regular circuit has enough gain by itself for the stuff I play. I use a Strymon Flint to take care of reverb and tremelo.

The Special 6 also gives ya the option to use a EL84 or a big bottle tube if ya want to tailor your tone a little differently, too.

I like the way a Weber A125A rounds out the package, but I know everybody has their own preferences when it comes to speakers :).

Best Regards,
    Geo.

bob barcus, olefudd and TequilaCaster like this.
  6. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

VHT +++ you can swap tubes without fear 6l6. 6v6. More.. At least on my ultra you could.

7. olefudd

olefudd Tele-Meister

Special 6 hands down! I've had mine for 5 years and love it.

bob barcus and TequilaCaster like this.
  8. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

The VHT is a pure single-ended tube amp, PCB-free, hand-wired, easy to mod if desired. You have to add pedals to to go beyond its basic great sounds.

The Vibro Champ XD has the same tube compliment, but also has the added DSP amp modelling and built in effects. It is a PCB amp. I'm sure you already know this.

Which one do you think will still be working and sounding great as time marches on?

olefudd likes this.
  9. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Meister

i have a superchamp x2. i love it.get the special 6.

10. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Vibro Champ XD has 8" speaker, right?
    Immediate disqualification for me.

I have a SP6 and it's it's quite handy...and sounds good too.

11. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

Had my VHT for 6 years and love it! I whole heartedly endorse it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

12. schmee

Well... damn! Having buyers remorse now, some one accepted an offer I made on the VibroCHampXD. So I have that incoming. I had no idea the VHT had any followers at all. Oh well, we'll see how the VC does. Not a huge investment!
    It's for the duo gig I do, for an acoustic and an archtop.

13. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

I'm sure the XD will be fine for you. But if it's not you can always resell. I've gigged my Special 6 quite a bit, and it's hung quite nicely in full bands in small places - including full blues bands with horns, keys, etc. I actually use it now as my backup for my Prosonic for my louder band. Obviously, they're not really comparable amps, but the S6 head is really easy to carry and would do the job in a pinch.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

14. schmee

I had been toying with the Superchamp XD, which I've had before, but after using my 65 BF Deluxe last weekend, I decided I have too many 2 x 6V6 amps and need to fill a slot at 5-10 watts. Small and light. Glad I didn't go for the SC.
    It appears there is likely room in the VibroChamp for a 10" speaker (?) if I really want to go there. I had a SF Champ last year but it was too nasal middy for me, hopefully the XD with the different tone emulations will help find the right zone.

15. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I own an SCXD that I run through a 12" cab and like it very much. I also bought the VHT Special 6 awhile back, played it for about a week and returned it. It's an OK amp if you do a lot of OD but virtually zero head room at any decent volume level. Frankly the overall tone wasn't my cup of tea either. For what it's worth I think you made the better choice.

16. schmee

Yeah, the SC being 2 x 6V6 is a different beast than either the Champ, VC, VCXD etc. As I said, I have 2 x 6V6 amps already. But looking for a Niche below 2 x 6V6. It wouldn't work for me either except in this Duo jazzy, blues format I dont think either. Most Champ styles are just too nasty for me in anywhere near a band context. :>) Thanks for the input.

17. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

^^I know you're probably looking for a tube amp and that said I've been a tube amp guy for over 50 years myself but if it turns out that you don't like the Champ you might want to try out the .5/25/50 watt version of this one new for about the same money. Since I got it my tube amps aren't getting near as much attention.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  18. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Afflicted

VHT Special 6 Ultra !!!
    sounds amazing stock, I added a Cannabis Rex 16 ohm to an extension speaker and now it's as good as you'll find, 6 watts of sweet hand wired tube tone.

I had a buddy who blew two power transformers in XD's , There is a fuseable link inside the windings and you cant fix em !
    We salvaged another one for him by putting NOS 6V6Gt's in it. The cheap import no name tubes were smoking the trans formers.

When the Special 6 Ultras are a thing of the past the price will go into outer space !!!
    So incredible underrated !

19. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Afflicted

Not sure how you found no headroom ?
    I have to use the Ultra channel and push the extra gain stage to get Blues crunch.
    I will admit that I use a 5751 in V-1 but still the regular Special 6 and the Ultra have tons of clean headroom.

Maybe you had the boost pulled up on the volume knob ???

20. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

Another shout for the S6. I have the head, non ultra version. I got the bias mod done on mine so it runs a 6L6 and pushes about 8watts. I find it has plenty of headroom when paired with a vintage 30 or any efficient speaker. I have mine about 8years now and I love it. Hi and Lo inputs plus hi and lo power outs. It's a one trick pony for sure, but it does that trick very well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.