FATTYBBQ

TDPRI Member
There aren't a whole lot of these in the wild yet, but I figured I might as well get the club up and running.

For those of you who are not familiar with this amp, this is VHT's take on those mythical and magical unicorns built by one Howard Alexander Dumble. It is a single channel 50 watt head powered by three 12xa7's and two 6L6's. I'm not sure if VHT modeled this after an actual Dumble or one of its many boutique clones, all I know is that it sounds great, it's built very well, and the price is tough to beat.

I've got it running through an Avatar 1x12 cab with an oval port open back cab loaded with a G12 K100 AND man does it sing. It definitely does the Robben Ford thing, it has that warm, round, growly, honking tone in spades. The cleans are very bell like, they are smooth and balance and have just the right amount of chime but with enough mids to cut through a mix without being strident or harsh. I'm really impressed with how much tone VHT was able to pack into this amp for under $1000.

So welcome new owners! Drop your comments and experiences below. Future owners y'all are welcome too, please feel free to ask any questions you might be curious about. Cheers! View attachment 689930
I've had mine for a few months now. One of the best sounding amps I own.

FATTYBBQ

TDPRI Member
Giving this thread a bumperoo. Any new members? Everyone still digging their D50s? I am!
I had it running through a 4x12 marshal
L from 80s. It sounded ok. Have it in a peavey 2x12 with eminence red coats. The amp growls now. Opened it up. I'm loving it.

Aahzz

TDPRI Member
Just picked one up on Saturday - absolutely in love! I am going to have to change that tan grill cloth, though....

vht.jpg

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Ok ya'll.... I guess I'm a member of this club now ;) I just landed a super deal on one of these babies, on the used market, and I couldn't pass it up. So... my question is: Is there anything I need to know about this amp i.e. any mods that should be done to improve upon it? I know about the footswitch thingy. Since it's used, there's a possibility that that lil fix may have already been done, but will investigate all of that when I get it (it's only just now been shipped to me). Likewise I'm hoping that the tubes have been upgraded already to something awesome ;) Curious to know what speaker cab configs do ya'll like e.g. 1x12, 2x12 etc.? Now that these have been out for a bit, what do ya'll think of em stock?

ZMurph

TDPRI Member
A2609F6B-F61E-4C01-AFF1-238D17FB463B.jpeg

I got mine the other day. I swapped out the speaker with a Celestion alnico gold that I’ve had for a while. It took me a bit more fiddling than usual to get the amp dialed in, but I’m really amazed at how interactive the controls are with each other. It’s really cool and fun to play. I was also surprised at how quiet the amp is when you’re not playing. The speaker cab is the closed back one and I think I’m gonna make an oval ported back panel for it (with a better quality jack.)

Frank-n-Furter

TDPRI Member
Okay - after some quick playing at low volume I found this to be a very likeable animal. Quite nervous, always begging to throw the ball. Clean to me is thick but silvery, the od controls demand delicate attention. EQ has good ranges. Distortion sound takes some getting used to - not that far away from my Rivera-era Super Champ, but more controlled and not that buzzy; has some nice insane overtones. Loud, loud, loud. All in all pretty much exactly what I had expected. Had a TC reverb in the effects loop on short cables without problems.
Will probably do a combo conversion - I always liked that form factor, almost tiny but loud as hell. Anyone already did that?