1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

VHT D-Fifty Owner's Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by TeleTex82, Mar 6, 2020.

1. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

There aren't a whole lot of these in the wild yet, but I figured I might as well get the club up and running.

For those of you who are not familiar with this amp, this is VHT's take on those mythical and magical unicorns built by one Howard Alexander Dumble. It is a single channel 50 watt head powered by three 12xa7's and two 6L6's. I'm not sure if VHT modeled this after an actual Dumble or one of its many boutique clones, all I know is that it sounds great, it's built very well, and the price is tough to beat.

I've got it running through an Avatar 1x12 cab with an oval port open back cab loaded with a G12 K100 AND man does it sing. It definitely does the Robben Ford thing, it has that warm, round, growly, honking tone in spades. The cleans are very bell like, they are smooth and balance and have just the right amount of chime but with enough mids to cut through a mix without being strident or harsh. I'm really impressed with how much tone VHT was able to pack into this amp for under $1000.

So welcome new owners! Drop your comments and experiences below. Future owners y'all are welcome too, please feel free to ask any questions you might be curious about. Cheers! IMG_20200306_144856_01.jpg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    MilwMark and Ess Eff like this.
  2. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Just ordered mine and they seem to be way cheaper here in Oz than the US, which is a nice change.
    Like $600 USD.

Got a nice 2 x 12 Vertical Marshall cab to pair it with but not sure how it will sound with the Creamback and V30 I have in it.

Also, would really appreciate if an owner could post the measurements of the cab. I can't find those specs anywhere and I'm wondering if it will sit on my speaker cab without any overhang.

IMG_20180227_154621_HHT.jpg

TeleTex82 likes this.
  3. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Well, I found the dimensions in a pic of the manual that someone posted on another forum.
    Thought I'd post it here because it is not listed anywhere else online.

VHT D50H
    Size 8.5" x 19.5" x 10.25" (220 x 495 x 260)

My Marshall vertical 2 x 12 cab is 21" wide so it should fit just right.

IMG_20200302_133705661.jpg
    IMG_20200302_134031287.jpg

TeleTex82 likes this.
  4. TeleTex82

Congrats on a great deal. These amps are great, sadly haven't had a chance to gig it or even rehearse with it since I got right before everything happened. Love playing through it at home though.

Ess Eff likes this.
  5. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

A few more pics I found that might interest prospective Buyers.

7H9lWZd.jpg
    CF1oo8z.jpg
    lCoLT0D.jpg
    LOkb8pJ.jpg
    Mi6ZJxD.jpg

6. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

I did a few tweaks to the look of mine. Wasn't so into the retro brown.
    IMG_20200411_152710.jpg
    IMG_20200414_122910.jpg

Loving it so much, I couldn't resist ordering a 4x12 cab to go with it. Just sounds so good with my 2x12 that I'm guessing it will be huge with a 4x12.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  7. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

As a reference, I thought I'd post a pic of the rewiring of the foot switch. I think it was originally sent to a user by the distributor.

For those that don't know, it was wired wrongly from the factory so that one of the lights worked backwards.

Only requires one wire to be moved.
    Screenshot_2020-03-27-20-17-22-913_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    D50H_5.jpg

8. SuperflyPete

SuperflyPete NEW MEMBER!

First, I'm a very long time lurker, but first post because this thread among others led me to buy this amp.

I got mine about 2 weeks ago. A local-ish company was selling them via Reverb for 15% off and I sold a few things lying around to fund it. Delivered to my door was 810$. It arrived and I was fully jazzed about it, and after two weeks of playing, I can say that it's really great sounding. It fully outFenders Fender when it comes to chimey cleans, especially with a single coil on Ch1 with the bright switch on the middle position.

The interesting thing is how crappy it looks on the outside. The tolex is really badly applied and the white pinstripe "binding" is really poorly cut and applied. It screams "cheap". I was skeptical because of that but the sound more than makes up for it. I'm super happy, despite me feeling this is still a stepping stone to a Ceriatone/Reeves/TwoRock/Sebago/Fuchs SSS clone, but this will pretty much be my amp for everything. With a Dirty Little Secret (Catalinbread) in front it definitely has a plexi feel.

I'm running it with an old Ibanez cab, 2x12, Seventy-80's. Everyone hates on these speakers but they're super neutral and that's why I chose them as the test bed.

Anyhow, this is so new I figured I'd share.

stormsedge likes this.
  9. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

I picked one up about a month ago-a no-brainer at 15% off.
    Great cleans, plenty of gain, tons of sustain, lots of punch but also sounds good at low volume. Can't comment on how close it is to the real thing(never having played, or even seen, one), but it certainly sounds great in its own right.
    While checking the bias, I rolled in a few NOS tubes since I had them on hand(JAN Phillips 6L6WGBs and a GE long plate in V1). Mine was set pretty cold from the factory so its worth checking if you have a DMM handy.

10. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Did a 4x12 for mine...
    IMG_20200505_100719.jpg
    IMG_20200505_100701.jpg

TeleTex82 likes this.
  11. TeleTex82

Ess Eff likes this.
  12. TeleTex82

Just wanted to bump this up and see how everyone was getting on with their D50's. I'm still loving mine!

13. Justingeen99

Justingeen99 NEW MEMBER!

Had mine for about a week now. I’m pretty impressed. I can’t say it sounds like a Dumble because I’ve never played one. However, my buddy has a Kemper and downloaded some Ceriatone ods profiles. It’s in the ballpark I guess to the profiles. To my ear the vht sounds quite a bit better, but I’m not a huge fan of the digital stuff. All I know is I’m glad I got it and it’s becoming my #1. The cleans are unbelievable and the drive just sings. Oh and it sounds better with the dumble style knobs. upload_2020-10-21_16-43-58.jpeg

14. ajaxlepinski

ajaxlepinski TDPRI Member

I do take nice gut shot photos!!! It's really cool to see them reposted - I am sincerely flattered!!! :cool:

I bought that VHT D-50, as a special order, from Cool Cat Music in Montclair, New Jersey, February 2020. The first fifty amps, that VHT had available at NAMM, sold out immediately. Luckily, Cool Cat Music had an "in" with VHT and they were able to score me one from the second batch of fifty amps, that arrived in the USA in early February.
    What a fantastic amp! I never expected to every own a D style amp but, when I saw the price, I had to order one.
    I was never a Fender amp fan but, for under US$900, I had to get one and it sounds killer! 4 gain stages is INSAINE!!!

This SoundCloud link takes you to the first recording that I made with the D-50. It's a tribute song for the man who made the Tele in my avatar, Paul Slagel, luthier, audio engineer, guitarist and all around righteous mofo!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    Ess Eff likes this.
  15. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

The white knob model...
    IMG_20200806_150410.jpg
    IMG_20200806_145409.jpg

ajaxlepinski likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.