VHT Classic 6 Valve Amp Mod's

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by aussie2012, Sep 13, 2012.

1. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I used this "Kinman treble bleed" on my HSS Telecaster with a 500k volume pot and it works great for keeping the tone stable as you turn down the volume. I did this exact mod with the cap & resistor in series:

[​IMG]

2. kleuck

kleuck Tele-Holic

Yep, that's the other way.
    I prefer the resistor in //, because it preserves the bright peak better i think, and because as i roll the volume down, with my values the tone becomes a little brighter, and it's just perfect for clean, when the volume is full tilt, the tone is best for overdrive, but it's a matter o f taste, some people prefer a consistent tone, some others a darker sound when turning the pot down.
    I always prefer to have a bigger presence peak, i can turn it down with the tone pot if needed.
    The downside is : the volume pot becomes useless past 5 or 4 (for casual usages at least), as the tones becomes really bright, but usually, from 5 to 10 is enough for me.

3. Thedirtygirls

Thedirtygirls TDPRI Member

Would the pt be suitable? Of better yet the pt from a 2
    30watt fender solid state amp I've got lying around?

4. kleuck

kleuck Tele-Holic

5. Thedirtygirls

Alright had a look at the pt I have lying around, it's out of a 1984 fender sidekick bass 30, it has 30a on the top In bold letters and 66-39p looks like on the side. The chassis says 30watt @8ohms. Would this pt be suitable for a tonemaster 213 build? I'm about to do a big resister/cap order to get everything I need, and ill be looking for a few varistors as soon as I know how many I need. But haven't been able to find any info on the pt or ot I would be needing for the build?

Ck

6. kleuck

kleuck Tele-Holic

The SP6 PT is suitable to build a PP, where a SS pt can't : voltage are way lower, and there's no heater wiring etc.
    Using a SS pt is NEVER an option.

7. Thedirtygirls

If that's the case I think I'll be buying the Chinese PCb evil robot and using the classic 6 as my backup. Individual parts are far to expensive. Calculated cost to build a maggy using mercury magnetics pt and it is more then the cost of the evil robot :(

8. phrunZ

phrunZ TDPRI Member

Hey Folks, I changed the speaker to a Eminence Legend 1258. I swapped the stock tubes to a JJ 6V6S and a JJ 5751. After swapping the tubes and turning the amp on again it worked perfect, but after increasing the volume to 1 o'clock I heard a crack noise and the amp was silent. So it is now. I put the old tubes back in the amp but also, no sound. Nothing. What's wrong? Maybe the fuse is dead? But honestly I don't know where the fuse is in this amp?
    I hope somebody could help me! Greetings from Germany!

9. PurpleStrat

PurpleStrat Tele-Meister

Anyone have the schematic?

10. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    PurpleStrat likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.