VFE VonRutter Family Effects family

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Obsessed, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

DaveKS, you are the telefunken of VFE pedals. :eek::D

Looks like quite an evolution of the Rocket. Care to describe the differences and preferences?

2. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Yea I'm up to 13 now I think. :rolleyes:

That old one I guess from 2008-9 would be my 1st small builder boutique pedal. Was a eBay auction of custom build that someone abandoned. Think it was $80'ish. Sold me on VFE quality within 5 min of trying it. My 1st VFE.

It basically has a full parametric section with 3 way range toggle for high/med/low and a dirt circuit kind of like a mxr micro amp. It basically sets after my fuzz but in front of all other dirt/comps. A little dirt and a parametric make it a perfect pedal pusher. It can get fuzzy/rude all on its own but it's best sound is clean boost or with a little raw grit dialed in.

The Marvin Martian pedal is a v3 I got on his fund raiser to buy custom paint machine. Its just 3 bands and no drive circuit. I replaced a Empress with it, it was $100 less on fund raiser, smaller and I actually liked the bass/treble shelving EQ better than parametric bass/treble on Empress. Just a pure, honest, high functioning guitarists EQ. It sets right before low gain/boosts at end of chain right after WH comp for a post EQ.

All the basic bass/mid/treble functions are handled by other drive pedals EQ's, the pre and post gain Rockets handle anything else. I haven't used a graphic EQ since mid-late 90's, boss pq-50 showed me how good a EQ could sound. Anytime you run your signal through 5, 6, sometimes 10 filters on a graphic then sum that back to single mono signal you introduce these artifacts that I hear. There's a reason why you can find mods for GE-7 and mxr 10 band that upgrade components on them.

I'm sure I could find some studio grade graphics that I'd like, but why, these days the simple EQ controls are very good on the pedals themselves for basic shaping, then parametrics adds pure, clean customizing on top of that.

Want a pure sounding, basic tone shaper, get a EQD Tone Job, want a Tone Job on steroids, get a Rocket.

3. DaveKS

As far as VFE goes, the Pale Horse, White Horse, Rocket and Mini Mu are the best of the bunch with those 2 new ones, Ravine and Standout taking their place up there with them.

Running that Ravine in parallel delay/verb mode, it is now stuck permanently in front of my little old Rickenbacker M-8 amp, its rockabilly and spaghetti western heaven. Being able to use just delay or reverb or both is perfect on that amp.

4. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Colour me excited. Just received an email from Peter at VFE to say my Tractor Beam is on its way. I think I can feel its powerful sonic pull already.

Please Mr Postman don't be slow
    Go like Elvis, Go Man Go!

5. Obsessed

That is a long distance for a sonic pull. I wonder which direction around the earth it is traveling?

DaveKS likes this.
  6. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

DaveKS you are such a shameless vfe pimp...since seeing your post that alerted me about a reduced production level...I've done pull the trigger on an old school and blueprint to add to the rocket. Anxiously awaiting their arrival....and thinking about the pale horse....damm you Dave.

7. Obsessed

So, we have simonsp with an incoming Tractor Beam (I hope it made it around the world by now;)) and wrathfuldeity with an Old School and Blueprint on the way.

These ought to be very exciting reviews coming soon.:)

BTW, I think DaveKS is not to be damned, he is, well, lets just say, "influential".:D

8. DaveKS

Well Peter is changing up his business model so no telling what future holds. Wish him all the best. Gotta take care of his wife n' kid and hopefully his new teaching job are getting him insurance and probably more free time with them. I'm sure he'll still pump out some new stuff just probably not on same scale or customizable as before.

You have to wonder about toll it takes on some of these small builders. Snouse has taken a break, Lumpys Tone Shop totally MIA for 5 months now with not a peep from him.

Ones like Keeley have expanded past one man operations and seem to be running on all cylinders.

Most you still need to track you down a Mini Mu. ;-)

9. Obsessed

Ouch. I'm thinking Rocket, then Mini Mu.:cool:

10. DaveKS

Well you better get'm while you can , price on used will probably be going up now that their EOL.

11. Obsessed

Thanks DaveKS, I was thinking that will probably happen. Maybe a better investment than the stock market ... buy a bunch and sell them in a year or two.:D

12. Obsessed

13. DaveKS

14. Obsessed

"VFE25"

15. DaveKS

Cool, snagged that open box Old School Trem for $105 shipped. Thanks.

16. Obsessed

Wow, that's a smokin' deal. It is an awesome pedal. Congrats.

17. DaveKS

Yep, one of his I don't already own too. If you can believe that. :eek:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  18. wrathfuldeity

Darn you Dave... now I want a mini mu and none to be found

19. DaveKS

Did you sign up for his newsletter? Looks like he'll be building last of them in May according to schedule on his website.

http://vfepedals.com/transition.html

20. wrathfuldeity

The Old School kicked off the modded TR-2 and the Blue Print kicked off the CC. The vfe's just have much more capacity for tweaking and a more clear/articulate and yet warm and pleasing. I've already drilled a tiny hole in the back plate of the Blue Print so its simple to adjust the "tone" trimpot.

And have signed-up to pay attention to the May schedule.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.