Veterinarians = Scammers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
¡Bueno!™

I'm so sick of the BS most if not ALL veterinarians pull!

Here's the most recent. Since there's been C19 and I travel it's hard to get office visits but I do when I can. Had Daisy at the vet 5 months ago for complete exam, shots and got a fox tail pulled out. Now near her vet for the previous 5 years for heart worm test and prescription.

They say they can't as it's been more than a year since an office visit. I then explain I had her checked and up to date with everything just a few months ago at another vet the story changes to "an office visit with them". Said it's a "law". BS! When I questioned them they hung up on me!

EVERY office visit I've been to ends up chatting with the vet as she pets my dog for $75! Maybe listen to heart....Nothing that can't be done in 30 seconds. 2 years ago they did the test and prescription in a few minutes (charged me ~$200!) now they wont deal with it unless I drop another $75!!!!

Why would I need or want another check up when she had one just months ago and she has no complaints?! Everything else is up to date! But they're fine with putting my dog at risk for heart worm.

BTW I'm totally fine with paying for the office visit/petting session but next appt a month out....

backporchmusic

Poster Extraordinaire
Brought my cat to the vet once, as she was very sick. Brought her as soon as I realized she was that ill. Nice vet, popular, clean location.

They said they would keep her overnight, and run some tests to see what was going on.

In the morning she was dead. But they managed to run up over $800 in tests that I would now have to pay for.

She could have spent her last night at home with love and some comfort. Instead she was tested on all night and died alone. Never forgive, never forget.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I dunno.
I don’t know any rich veterinarians.
I do know a few.
They’re not like doctors (MDs), lawyers, and other professionals.
I know vet bills can be unexpected expenses.
Proportionally, vets charge way less than MDs.
Your pets can’t tell them where it hurts, veterinarians have to figure that out.
Anyways, though I’ve had a few big, unexpected vet bills, I always felt like the expense was worth it.
Apparently your results may vary.
Thanks for listening.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Sorry to hear this, guys. People can get VERY emotional about their pets.
Every vet I've had dealings with was very caring and concerned about my animals......but they're still (like it or not) a business. I'm not defending the examples given, but until I can hear their side of the story, I have to reserve judgement. I assume that when a vet "pets" your pet during a visit, it's to comfort an animal under stress. I hope you all can find another vet that better suits your (and your animals' ) needs.

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
They say they can't as it's been more than a year since an office visit. I then explain I had her checked and up to date with everything just a few months ago at another vet the story changes to "an office visit with them". Said it's a "law". BS! When I questioned them they hung up on me!

No comment on the rest of your post, I know how what a touchy subject pets can be and even though vet bills are les than people bills, they aren't nothing, either. But regarding this particular part:

Any MD would be nuts to write an order based on something they (or, at least, someone else in their practice) did not observe firsthand. That's gleefully opening the door to lawsuits, loss of credentials etc. I don't know that this is the case, but I can see how it can be similar for vets.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
If you take into account the stress of dealing with people whose pets are not feeling well, and so on, i agree it is worth the expense.

Btw, why are they no vets willing to take your pets to sleep after a check at home ? If the condition is too bad, it would be better and the owner would probably not mind it. Maybe it exists, but not here.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a number of veterinarians in my family. It's not an easy business to be in due to the high costs and low earnings. It's also emotionally draining since it involves watching someone lose a beloved pet almost on a daily basis.

You should shop around though to find one in your area who cares and has reasonable prices. Some do mark things up or overbook to try to deal with their finances.

We ended up using 2 different vets, one for the cats and dogs and another for our "exotics" (aka birds and rabbits). The main reason was that the cat and dog only vet charged $25 for an office visit while the exotics vet charged $75 for all types of animals.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
No comment on the rest of your post, I know how what a touchy subject pets can be and even though vet bills are les than people bills, they aren't nothing, either. But regarding this particular part:

Any MD would be nuts to write an order based on something they (or, at least, someone else in their practice) did not observe firsthand. That's gleefully opening the door to lawsuits, loss of credentials etc. I don't know that this is the case, but I can see how it can be similar for vets.

Right!

That's why they do a heart worm test. But a tech does that. Pulls a drop of blood and observes. Nothing in a routine office visit would contra indicate a HW scrip.

Vets are tied in and like dentists have to share data. The vet that last saw her is more than happy to send complete records and already emailed me a copy...

I understand the law states has to be seen every year for prescriptions which she was! Legally she is eligible for the scrip but they refuse to accept this fact since they failed to get their pound of flesh!

I have no problem paying top $$$ to care for Daisy!

Since I do travel I paid $900 to get her lap spayed which is laparoscopic and minimally invasive with instant recovery. Daisy was home and playing an hour later! The struggle was keeping her from being active!

She had valley fever and I paid top $$ for every test. If vet said maybe we should.... I said do it! That cost me upwards of $3000 for a series of negative tests..... No regrets!

But having to suck the expense of an office visit at the expense of care is what gets me riled up. And since several weeks out I can't even get it as I'll be gone....

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Order the heart worm meds online. I'm pretty sure there are non-prescription options. Also, the heart worm test is the bigger scam if your dog is already on the medicine because the treatment is to put them on the medicine.

natec

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Sorry for your experience.

As your title and opening post pertain to 'most if not ALL' veterinarians I would like to point out that suicide rates for veterinarians has been steadily increasing for the last few years and is getting out of hand. It is not a good job.

Since we're talking about the whole group - they have enormous debt, aren't paid well, have sick and dying patients, deal with both reasonable and unreasonable pet owners, and have to navigate state, local or corporate policies that often doesn't always make sense.

This is just one article (there are several if anyone is interested.. just search for them):

https://www.wisfarmer.com/story/new...ctive-stresses-felt-veterinarians/7361193002/

Neither I nor my spouse are DVMs however she has worked with many for the last 20 years.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Sadie ate half a Nylabone and it ruptured her intestine. The dog toys that allegedly dogs can't simply bite in half! $600 out the door and 15 years later she's still embarrassed to talk about it.
If that was your kid it would be closer to $45,000. Not that your kid would eat a Nylabone, no judgement, mine might have. But That's hardly a ripoff.
upload_2021-11-30_12-36-4.jpeg

Rockinvet

Friend of Leo's
I have mixed emotions on Veterinarians. Ive spent countless thousands of dollars on my last dog with epilepsy and finally put him to sleep after 2 grueling years (for him). Get another dog and this one has gastro problems. Food is over $120 a month. I swear they get kick backs! Then I was quoted a $6K colonoscopy! Whaaat? She calmed me down and told me that may not be necessary but it was the only to find out what was wrong. With all the options we chose the food and it worked so far.

Ive owned dogs my entire life and have spent more on the last two than all the dogs I've ever had before. But a good vet will be honest with you. Tough business. My next door neighbor is a vet but I never mix business with friendship. Not once have I ever even asked a vet type question. Always try to keep conversations to small talk.

The best thing is to find a vet you trust even if they run down a list of things that "should" be done. I pick the most I can afford and go from there. Maybe its time to look up some reviews.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Order the heart worm meds online. I'm pretty sure there are non-prescription options. Also, the heart worm test is the bigger scam if your dog is already on the medicine because the treatment is to put them on the medicine.
When I looked into online pet meds a few years ago, they all required a current doctor's prescription to fill. Nullifies any cost saving. :(

ghostwolf

Tele-Holic
Depends on where ya live.
When i lived in Ohio, vet bills were generally under $200.00 per visit for general type things.
Here in Boston, $900.00 per visit seems to be the norm.

Last edited:

Rufus

Friend of Leo's
Whitewashing an entire group of medical professionals because of the behavior of one is rather...futile?

I feel your pain...but

If I didn't take my 13 year old dog to the Vet, she would not get the daily pain reliever medicine that helps her deal with arthritis and hip displasia. (Many human drugs are lethal to dogs. Tylenol and similar drugs would quickly destroy their liver.)

My dogs might get heartworms and other deadly diseases that would otherwise kill or seriously affect their quality of life.

I would seek out another Vet, even if its not as convenient...for the sake of your pets.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Rufus

Friend of Leo's
I paid $1500 for an operation on another 12 year old dog...my 12 pound miniature pinscher had another 5 pounds of blood in her uterus (pyometra??).

An extremely high risk of infection and sepsis if they could not remove her uterus without rupturing.
As difficult as it was to write that check (I MAY have slightly understated the co$t to my wife ;)) on a procedure that had a 50/50 chance of success, it worked and she (the dog) lived for several more years ...I don't regret that at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.