Very straight and tight grained ash body

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by EsquireOK, Jul 20, 2018.

1. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I have an AV '58 Tele that has such a wonderful piece of wood for the body. Each grain is very narrow/tight/closed, and the grains are closely spaced – far more so than any other ash body I've seen. They are also very straight all the way along the body. IME, ash has very open grains, the grain lines have more distance between each "big" line, and the lines tend to waver a bit. The guitar is quite lightweight too, and sounds incredible to me.

I am not complaining by any means. It's my favorite ash body I've ever seen. I'm just wondering what might cause this, in the technical sense. Is it young, old, from a certain region, from a certain part of the tree, sawn at a certain angle, etc.?

Thanks.

IMG_5947.JPG

IMG_5948.JPG

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  2. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

Im just guessing but isnt older growth alittle tighter grain.Others will verify.
    Thats very nice.

3. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Exactly what I look for in a peice of wood, often considered 'plain looking'.
    Curly waves are most likely resonance eaters.

4. Andoris

Andoris Tele-Meister

My 2016 PV52 looks exactly like this and is 1 piece, imo best looking "style" of grain. :)

5. Andoris

Andoris Tele-Meister

Only complaint is that the BSB is sprayed a bit thicker than I'd like(would prefer to see the grain a bit clearer). But I shouldn't complain with 1 piece, good looking grain, and 6.8lbs! Cheers.

6. EsquireOK

This one, even with its clear finish, looks one piece until you really look. There is a joint right through the D string ferrule, though it is very, very hard to define; I can't even follow it along its entire length without losing it. I would imagine that it would be completely invisible with a thicker variant of BSB over it.

I haven't weighed mine yet...but I would not be surprised if is was under 7 lb. It doesn't feel a whole lot heavier than my 6-1/2 lb. Esquire. Very, very nice guitars, those AVs.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  7. Andoris

Andoris Tele-Meister

I have spent more time than I'm willing to admit trying to find a seam. I am 100% sure it is a 1 piece.

8. EsquireOK

OK. Understood that you are 100 percent sure of it.

9. WriteNoob

WriteNoob Tele-Meister

Got the same on my CS Postmodern. It’s what really sold me on the guitar. I’ve played a few others like this, and they were all great guitars. Not just good, but memorable. My Postmodern also has a very straight quarter-sawn neck. I,personally, think these things matter. Mine rings like a bell, both plugged in and not.
    IMG_0019.JPG

10. stratoblaster

stratoblaster Tele-Meister

My AVRI 54 Strat has that kind of grain. The finish is super thin and sunk in too. Hard to see but the neck has beautiful concentric grain lines. It looks like a topo map.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. TelePlank

TelePlank TDPRI Member

Here’s a shot of my old American Standard Strat (sold). This thing had a very tight Ash grain. The photos are from a few years back so forgive the quality.

IMG_1680.JPG IMG_1674.JPG

jimilee likes this.
  12. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I love that red burst, I remember ever seeing a Strat like that.

13. EsquireOK

Nice! I have an AV '54 Strat as well. I guess there are "only" 1,952 others like us!

Mine doesn't have the grain like the '58 AV Tele I posted, though (nor is it as light in weight).

All my ash AVs, and my CS Esquire, have the slightly sunken grain lines too. The AV finishes were incredible. Really a loss that they were discontinued.

IMG_5956.JPG

IMG_5957.JPG

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  14. TelePlank

TelePlank TDPRI Member

It was called Sienna Sunburst. This way you have it for future reference if you’re ever looking for a guitar in that burst.

15. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Holic

Japanese sen/ash has some tight grain too

heres a 1980 Greco with it

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.