1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Very Nice Bootstrap A2 Tele pup

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by John_B, Dec 5, 2020.

1. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

Yes it is. I have just received and loaded my custom A2 from Ryan. It has 42AGW wound to a 7.1k. Out of the box I thought the build was excellent and the white string wrap looks so cool! First impression to my ears is that the bass end is delightfully (semi) spongy and compressed. Was not expecting this. The high end has the sweet A2 tone I keep reading about. Now I hear it.

I can only compare this to both my hot A5's so I am kind of driving blind. It does not have the mid range or bass of the A5's but it's not an A5. The bass end has what I think is a killer rockabilly tone, the high end is a SWEET semi sparkle. I need to play with my amp again to really find THE tone spot. I did get close today. I then pushed it with my compression and delay pedal which made it hotter. This brought out more sustain and depth on the high end which sounded good but not as good as plugged straight into my amp. Learned about that sweet A2 tone today. I'm thinking this pickup will be outstanding in a recording studio.

I had to admit to myself and I confessed to my brother that I do miss the balls of a hot A5 pup.

I think Ryan makes a real kick a$$ pickup, again, I am very, very impressed with his work!!!

Next up is Ryan's custom A3 he made for me with 42AGW also wound to 7.1K. I am wondering if this will give me a little of what I like in the A2 and the A5 combined. I will post the review when I am thru listening to this really good A2.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  2. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I have some Bootstrap P90s on order, so I'm looking forward to those.

3. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

I have Sweet Serranos in a frankinbuilt & they sound great. just ordered a 2nd set for another project

4. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

I have ordered 6 or 7 pickups from Bootstrap in the last few months and all are very good. Of course, if you hear with your wallet, you won't like them.

nojazzhere and emisilly like this.
  5. don

don Tele-Meister

I have a pretzel set, a palo duro set and a hot pretzel bridge - all are great!

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I'm looking at his "Vintage Cleans" with A2's for a project.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

Maybe I'm not correct. But aren't the A3's "mellower" than the 2's or 5's?

I have a Seymour Duncan Jerry Donohue that has A2's. Also a Cavalier 51/52 that sports A3's and 42 wire.

The Cavalier seems to have a little more midrange than the JD. SD doesn't divulge what wire is used.

Might not be a fair comparison as to what you'll get. Different companies and all.

7. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

Spud, I used to think A3's were weaker than A2's until I read A3's are stronger in rod form but weaker in bar form. It seems to me there were way more A3 pups back in the day than A2's and every custom builder has A3's along with their A5's. I would think there is something there about that A3 magnet. I will find out soon.

Don, is there a real big difference between your Palo Duro and your Pretzel bridge pups?

branbolio likes this.
  8. emisilly

emisilly Tele-Afflicted

I have a set of those in a guitar I built last summer. Absolutely killer pickups!!

hemingway likes this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

My favorite "set" is a Palo Duro neck, and a Pretzel bridge. I have that combination in both of my Teles.

Greggorios likes this.
  10. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

sweet I have a set of regular strat 54s on order as we speak

emisilly likes this.
  11. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

I have been thinking about this new A2 since yesterday afternoon. What really stands out in my mind is that I have a GREAT tone at low volume. I have never,ever had this before. I think that is why I said it would be good in a recording studio.

I always have to push my A5's real loud to get my desired tone.This brings out the best of my amp & pup and always drives my wife...friggin...nuts!

emisilly likes this.
  12. G&Lplayer

G&Lplayer Tele-Meister

I have a set of Squeaky Clean P 90s on order. Glad to hear people like his work.

emisilly and nojazzhere like this.
  13. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I've ordered the dirty P90s, which I'm now thinking might have been a mistake - I mean there isn't really any such thing as a clean P90, they all growl at you. Dirty ones might be overkill.

Well, we'll see what they're like. I'm sure they'll be fun, whatever happens.

emisilly likes this.
  14. G&Lplayer

G&Lplayer Tele-Meister

Never had a P90 guitar before so I figure it’s time to build one.

emisilly likes this.
  15. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

I ordered a 9.5K P90 for the bridge position of a Goldtop LP from Bootstrap and it's not particularly 'dirty'. But it's a much better match for the neck P90.

16. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

Have to admit, a P90 in a tele looks pretty cool.

17. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

OK, I took my A2 out for another test drive tonight. I am kind of getting over the "culture shock" of playing hot A5's for 1 1/2 years to now trying to honestly evaluate this well made hot A2. I have to say first off, an A2 in the bridge will force you to become a cleaner player. My A5's made me a little lazy I see, and hid some of my slop that I never heard. This humbled me tonight.

I believe I found the sweet spot. Doubling the gain on my amp put me on third base. The guitar tone was just under 1/2 open. The low end is not semi spongy as I said. It is spongy...compressed... and it quacks. I mean this duck QUACKS! The high end is SWEET BELL LIKE TONE. It now rings since I adjusted my gain.

This is a great classic old school C&W and Rockabilly single coil Telecaster bridge pickup.

Bravo Ryan, Bravo Bootstrap!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    emisilly and El Tele Lobo like this.
  18. shaskitt

shaskitt TDPRI Member

First post in the forum... This caught my eye because I've been a huge A2 fan in p90s for a while but tried my first A2 tele bridge a few months ago with a 52 from Lollar... total game changer for me. Got a great deal on reverb and am really curious to try other A2 tele bridges (I have the 52 neck as well and it's very nice but not as stand-out as the bridge).

Something about the way the tone changes when you play softly and then hit it hard, it just really takes on a different voice. I'll be checking out bootstrap for sure!

Anyone try sheptone or creamery a2 tele bridges?

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  19. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Please post some sound clips if you're willing. Would love to hear it. Sounds awesome. Is it a soapbar or a dog ear? (it IS a P90, right? Or did I get lost along the way?)

20. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Hey @shaskitt! Welcome to the forum!

shaskitt likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.