very important question: cake or pie? and why.......

doctorunderhill

Tele-Meister
this ought to be a good one- after all this is truly an international forum where guitarists from all over the planet gather to discuss the creation of music and all those great guitars/amps that help make it happen.

lots of cultural diversity from our European brothers (and sisters), our many Commonwealth friends- Canada, Aussie land - as well as others.
French and English bakers have been making superb dessert courses for going on a thousand years- so I have great expectations for their pronouncements on this most important inquiry.

SO, to your mind which is "King" and why that is.

for me a deep dish Cherry Pie with either heavy whipped Cream or equally high end ice cream would get my vote.
with a deep dish Dutch Apple pie coming in a close second.

***as was brought to my attention by "bsman" I failed to take changes in nomenclature from one locale to the next. for this survey "PiE" will refer to "fruit" pies (however if say a Tart is your equivalent please share your particular variant)
I should have known this going in. being from Louisiana I already knew that say from around Natchitoches south you better be real specific as to what kind of pie you're after. "meat" pies Reign from there to where the water gets salty.

Last edited:

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Pi R squared, no, pie are round, johnny cake are square

yeah pie, unless the cake's got a young naked nubile woman jumping out of it

ftbtx

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
When I first moved to Texas, being a native NYer, I walked into the local pizza shop and asked for a "large pie" and was promptly told they don't sell pies, but have cheesecake. While a cheesecake is more pie-like in my mind than a cake.

drumtime

Tele-Afflicted
When I was a kid, I ate an inordinate amount of a chocolate cake my mom had bought, and then, coincidentally, came down with a violent flu that evening. Re- experiencing that cake for several days put me off all cake for most if my life.

Pie is another thing altogether. So many varieties, and even savory ones. Yes please.

bsman

Friend of Leo's
One thing to remember: To our Commonwealth friends, pies are made of meat and gravy in crust. I believe that what we call pie they would call a tart.

In general, pie > cake, but only if I make the crust. I have never had a pie from a bakery with a proper crust - they're always either too heavy, too sweet, or too crumbly...

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
I'm a dark chocolate choco-holic so for me it's not the for that matters as much as the chocolate quality and content. Something like a well made chocolate lava cake typically gets the win.

bsman

Friend of Leo's
I offer my family a choice of dessert for their birthday. My wife's historical choice has been Boston Cream Pie (a cake, notwithstanding the name) and my daughter normally chooses a fruit pie (this year, it was strawberry rhubarb). My son doesn't have much of a sweet-tooth, so I don't normally make him anything.

However, my wife and I have been on a low-carb diet for the past few years, so I've been making one cheesecake (low-carb by virtue of not using a crust and substituting erythritol for sugar) a month. Really, when it comes down to it: Cheesecake is > than either cake or pie!

tery

Doctor of Teleocity
~ Cherry Pie a La Mode ~

upload_2020-6-16_13-7-47.jpeg

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
this ought to be a good one- after all this is truly an international forum where guitarists from all over the planet gather to discuss the creation of music and all those great guitars/amps that help make it happen.

lots of cultural diversity from our European brothers (and sisters), our many Commonwealth friends- Canada, Aussie land - as well as others.
French and English bakers have been making superb dessert courses for going on a thousand years- so I have great expectations for their pronouncements on this most important inquiry.

SO, to your mind which is "King" and why that is.

for me a deep dish Cherry Pie with either heavy whipped Cream or equally high end ice cream would get my vote.
with a deep dish Dutch Apple pie coming in a close second.
No doubt - pie.
Good fresh fruit pie.
Of course, I'm also the weirdo who prefers no icing if there's going to be cake.

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I offer my family a choice of dessert for their birthday. My wife's historical choice has been Boston Cream Pie (a cake, notwithstanding the name) and my daughter normally chooses a fruit pie (this year, it was strawberry rhubarb). My son doesn't have much of a sweet-tooth, so I don't normally make him anything.

However, my wife and I have been on a low-carb diet for the past few years, so I've been making one cheesecake (low-carb by virtue of not using a crust and substituting erythritol for sugar) a month. Really, when it comes down to it: Cheesecake is > than either cake or pie!
Italian ricotta cheesecake >>> than NY/American style cheesecake

paulbaribeau

Tele-Meister
A Traverse City, MI cherry pie. If unavailable a blueberry pie will do.

Cake is for special days (weddings, birthdays, promotions).

Pie is for every day.