1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Very good beginner guitar - Epiphone DR-100

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by StevesBoogie, Aug 17, 2020.

1. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

My buddy has a daughter who has taken an interest in stringed instruments, and he wanted to get her a beginner guitar. He is not a musician so I helped him out. I checked out Craigslist over the weekend and found some great candidates, but jumped on a lightly used Epiphone DR-100. I met the owner, very nice lady who said the guitar was her son's, but just started university and decided not to take it with him. Looked it over for about 30 seconds and gave her asking price of $95 as I thought the condition of it was pretty darn good.

They are $149 brand new. The Epiphone DR-100 comes in three flavors - natural, burst, and black. This one was black.

This guitar had one little ding on the front and some very light, barely noticeable, scratches on the back; otherwise, great shape, except the strings were quite old and approaching corroded.

So I take it home, wipe it down, tiny bit of fret oil, change the strings with Martin .11s .... and I loved it!

OK, so it's not a Martin or Taylor ... but the action was great. The sound, especially the treble, was definitely on the quieter side; as such, it was more of a beefy and quieter sound, but certainly passable.

Played every fret, all 6 strings, no buzzing to be found. Played a bunch of different stuff on it for 20 minutes, stayed in tune like a champ.

In my opinion, an unbelievable instance of a great beginner guitar, heck, even a great beater guitar. Not only that, I was never really a fan of black acoustic guitars ... but this one really grew on me quickly.

Before I decided to pursue it, I had looked up reviews with the major music sites. The reviews are overwhelmingly impressive, with Sweetwater having the most enthusiasm about this guitar.

I wanted to get this out here because this happened today, plus, I see about once a week folks asking about good beginner guitars. I tagged this thread with the appropriate descriptors that should help anyone searching.

Gabrielle84 likes this.
  2. Gabrielle84

Gabrielle84 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

So nice of you to do this for this you girl! And great to know that the epiphone makes a great guitar.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  3. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

We sold more DR100s at the store where I worked than any other acoustic. The only thing we found near the price that compared was the entry level LAGs. For a little more, the solid top DR220s is even better. And, all Epi's come with a lifetime warranty.

Gabrielle84 and StevesBoogie like this.
  4. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Friend of Leo's

Maybe not a Taylor, but Bob Taylor had something to do with it, as he revolutionized guitar making with CNC automation. This eliminated a lot of variation in guitar parts.

5. Laren

Laren Tele-Meister

I hope she, the mother, has her sons permission to sell it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.