Very bright bridge & dark neck mini humbucker

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Activateclint, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Activateclint

Activateclint TDPRI Member

Hey all so i have a USA 52 Hotrod re-issue with the Duncan SM-1N neck pickup and a 1950's Rumplestiltskin black rope (11k broadcaster style) in the bridge. I still have the stock fender 'custom vintage' bridge pickup thats really nice but wanted a fuller darker sounding pickup...
    It came from having a SD li'l 59 with coil tap mod in the bridge (professionally done) back in the cover band days.
    Trying to DIY back to original ish and nut this out myself and lean something.
    It has 375k pots (adding to the bright bridge I'm sure) and i run the already bright Bugera V22 amp treble at 0 and the SM-1N 'seems' OK once the amp EQ is set at 12 o'clock.
    Trouble is the bridge is very shrill and the neck is mud. Super unbalanced. just want that neck chime and the bridge grunt hehe
    Seems like its wired right according to the diagram i have (see if i can find it) but surely not.
    maybe someone can confirm a correct diagram for this model.

Could it be it needs a permanent tone cap on the bridge pickup only thats missing somewhere?
    Over time can the wiring degrade?
    Should i be checking for leaks to ground with the multimeter?

Any ideas (and tests i could do) would be appreciated :)
    No I'm not gonna fiddle with the tone pot each time i change pickups lol, id like them to balance more haha

Cheers,
    Clint

2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

You would swap your pot value to 500k and put a 470k resistor (I seem to recall that's the value people have brought up in the past) on the bridge, thus causing the bridge to only "see" 250k. Then you would take some brightness off the bridge and some darkness out of the neck. I'm sure someone on here could hook you up with a wiring diagram for this.

Of you could just use your tone knob a little more actively...

dan1952 and Activateclint like this.
  3. Activateclint

Thanks! I'm actually just reading about that! Seems like a great solution :)

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  4. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I think this is 180 degrees wrong. The 500k pot will make it brighter than a 250k pot, not the other way around.

jvin248 and Andy B like this.
  5. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

It will make the neck brighter, because the neck will be going from 375k too 500k. But the resistor on the bridge will make it equivalent to having a 250k pot on the bridge.

I learned it here.

hellopike and dan1952 like this.
  6. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Oops! Forgot about the resistor!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  7. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

8. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Meister

500k pots & 470k resistor- that's how I balanced a Dimarzio Twang King bridge with a vintage mini-bucker neck.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  9. Activateclint

Thanks all I will have a look at that!
    Do I need to make both tone and volume pots 500k or can I just do the volume pot?

10. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Pickup adjustments first. Set bridge pickup and adjust e.q. for it. Then lower neck – quite a lot if necessary.

Activateclint likes this.
  11. Activateclint

Yep thanks I've done that. Makes a difference but not too much.

12. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

What are your pickup heights and amp settings?

13. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I have a 52 Hit Rod. Great guitar.

This wiring fixes a muddy dull neck humbucker (or mini humbucker or whatever) if you are not looking for the muted and woman tones.

It takes the neck pickup right out of the tone circuit entirely, so straight through to volume only.

I've done this on my '52 Hot Rod and other S/H combination Teles.

Works best when you set the humbucker height low, and adjust the amp for the humbucker, then roll the tone off the bridge pickup to taste and mix best with the humbucker.

[​IMG]

14. Activateclint

Really appreciate the replies.
    Ive tried messing with pickup height I can get the tone ok (not quite) on the neck but it WAY overpowers the bridge volume.
    Forget setting the amp for 1 of the pickups, and tweaking tone pots or using a pedal and stuffing around each time i switch pickups, seems like it defeats the purpose. Using 500k pots with a resistor so the bridge only sees a 250k signal sounds like the middle position will be super dark and unusable.
    Think my only solution will be to put in a 500k pot (to get extra neck clarity) and try various caps from bridge to ground to knock off the top end.
    Thoughts? :)

15. Activateclint

Is there an easy enough way to re-gauss the neck making it brighter and de-gauss the bridge?

16. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Meister

No.

That cap will do the same thing in the middle position as the resistor. Maybe undesirably so, depending on the cap. Why don't you try what was suggested before you start tinkering with molecular physics?

hellopike likes this.
  17. Activateclint

Ok thanks! Moving house for the next 2 weeks so will get back to this asap. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.